cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surveillance Camera Setups on your RV

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a 2018 version Ring Floodlight on a toyhauler. Requires 110v and wifi.

81 REPLIES 81

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Still really happy with these Wyze cameras. Nice to wake up and view any events from the night before. See if any tweakers were out snooping around campsites for stuff to steal.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Really !
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL - thanks. It's been 3 weeks and at least the structural damage is starting to get fixed. Then it's a very long road of receipts to get all the stuff replaced/reimbursed.

The biggest thing I learned is that it doesn't take them long to figure out work arounds for new security technology...

At least the clipper was recovered and mostly in one piece. They stole the good batteries and everything inside. Some minor body damage and the torn out ignition.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
toedtoes...sorry to hear of your bad experience! Like anything else, security systems can be brought up to date. Yup, makes the burglars job much harder/more risky. My wifi to home cameras is an over the air, like cell phone towers. Nothing to connect/disconnect, and can be seen/operated from anywhere there is cell service. While I'm away, FW gone from side drive, my eyes are always home, and continuous recording stored for me.

Jerry

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2manytoyz - unless they steal the golf cart batteries too. Trust me - they do...

The bottom line is that all these tools are subject to failure caused by the "bad guys", so make sure you have multiple forms of protection (not talking weapons which are only effective IF you are there - but insurance, documentation, locks, alarms, cameras, etc.).

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV came with a rear camera, and turn-signal cameras. I modified the multiplexer to add outputs. I took one of my older CCTV DVRs, and put it in the RV, bought a DC-DC converter to power it, and ran video cables to the DVR. It now records on the 3 stock cameras, and I've added a dash camera.

Even if the power is disconnected, it will continue to run on 12V power until all 4 golf cart batteries are exhausted.

This not only documents any theft while at home, or while traveling, but it also documents bad drivers that may potentially cause a wreck.

I had most of the necessary parts. Had to buy the DC-DC converter, and some video cables.

I've had a Pop-Up camper stolen, and I can tell you first hand, going through the insurance was a major pain. I lost money, and it was never recovered. If I had video, probably could have found who did it. Our house also has a video camera system for the same reason. It also watches the RV, and the RV watches the house. One of our videos was used to arrest a vandal in our previous neighborhood.

The cameras never sleep. They see almost as well at night. Disconnecting the power does nothing. Since I used the existing cameras, and an old DVR, my cost was about $100.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You can get simple cameras like he Wyze cameras, that have internal micro SD cards that record without internet.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
At the end of the day. I have major stuff insured.
I don't have the time or desire to worry about dents,scratches and other small stuff. I don't care to perform a who dunnit or who's out there? Or who's been out there. I don't have time to review footage or any of that nonsense while camping.
All of those activities would interfere with my relaxing and beer dring time.

Take photos of everything in your home even if it's not major. Insurance will require proof you had it - actual receipt OR a photo of it in your home or on your person - in order to get reimbursed. And that little stuff adds up a lot! I'm currently repurchasing an entire household of everyday little items (cleaning supplies, stocked goods, toiletries, cosmetics, clothing, footwear, pet supplies, tools, and so on) as well as the "major stuff". And yes, you have to prove you actually had a bed to get compensated for a bed frame and mattress - they won't simply acknowledge that you had even a cheap mattress on the floor and give you a minimal amount for it. And don't keep your proof of ownership (receipts or photos) in your home as the burglars WILL take or destroy that proof.

Thank goodness for Amazon and online shopping so I can show most of those little item purchases. They add up.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just an FYI for those who are depending on wireless cameras to "get the stuff" on video:

One of the first thing burglars do is kill your internet connection. They take it out at the line so you can't reactivate it remotely. Wireless cameras will help with simple porch thieves, etc., but not with home burglars.

Saw it happen at my house and had it confirmed as "oh yeah, they do that all the time" by the police department.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
At the end of the day. I have major stuff insured.
I don't have the time or desire to worry about dents,scratches and other small stuff. I don't care to perform a who dunnit or who's out there? Or who's been out there. I don't have time to review footage or any of that nonsense while camping.
All of those activities would interfere with my relaxing and beer drinking time.
Correct Trax,Splendide

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Hey good observation about the Yi camera not recording without wifi. Thats an important feature to me as well, and i dont know if the Wyze records or not. (with SD card installed of course)

Regarding the guns and dogs i agree but when youre sleeping someone can easily slip passed ya. If you woke up and something is gone at least you could go back and see what happened. I can assure you where i camp people get jacked at night and they have dogs and guns inside. I cant believe how often it happens without people waking up. The thieves are nuts pulling that stuff on the offroad community because the majority i know are very pro self defense.

Or lets say youre at a campground place. Notice your truck has a new scratch or dent. Then remember the neighbor kids would tossing the football around. Would be nice to go back and see when the dent happened.

Or a big dog turd. Could return to the owners.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I look at it from a different use. I received several Yi cameras as a Christmas gift. My first thought was to see if I could take one camping with me when I boondock. But this isn't out of a desire to monitor for security, it was merely curiosity. I wanted to see if it would pick up any wildlife that visits my campsite during the night. Unfortunately even with a micro SD card the camera will not record without an internet connection back to a server somewhere. Yes I checked with tech support, and I tested at home by turning off the wifi. The camera simply will not record when the internet is down. To me this is more concerning than anything else.

To me once I buy something like a camera I want the manufacturer to be out of the picture. I have absolutely no desire to allow some company to have 24 hour access my camera and record my life.

If you think that the companies are not recording, monitoring, analyzing and sharing your video, you are incorrect. I've been in tech support long enough to have experienced access to supposedly not recorded information. No not from Apple or Google, but that changes nothing. Make no mistake, recording you is big business and companies will do so until they get caught. And then once caught they will only stop doing whatever they specifically got publicly caught doing. Unfortunately if it concerns you, you only remedy is to not use that particular device.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
wopachop wrote:
Came to give another opinion on Ring. The floodlight cam i put on the trailer has been on the house. Like i mentioned before no matter what i try it stopped sending alerts to my phone after a couple months.

I guess it came with a free 1 year trial. Now they want $3 a month. Which is pennies, but its still something. We keep liking the Wyze cams more and more. I think that darn flood light was around $200. Plus $30 a year to save videos.

We are debating whether to pay the $30 to make the Ring flood light work again or just replace with a wyze cam. The flood light feature still works. Although it seems to have lost its sensitivity and quickness to light. I used to walk up to the house and it lit when i was 30 feet away. Now i can walk right up to the garage and have to wait. Sometimes i want the light to see stuff and literally stand there waving my hand for it to trigger on.

Yes, there is a $3 per month, or $30 per year charge for the full service, including long term record keeping with time/date. I pay $30 a year per camera, no different than paying for any service.

You can adjust what you want your camera to see, and at what distance to see, or what distance to turn the light on. Takes a person with a bit of tech savvy, such as wife/kids.

I wouldn't bother with camera on an occupied RV. I have a guard dog inside, and 9mm if needed.

Jerry

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jaycocamprs wrote:
Lantley wrote:

I don't see the need for cameras when the unit is occupied. Especially if it's in a typical RV park vs. a boondocking scenario.

Well I think that a "RV Park" would be the place I would use them. People about at all hours. If anything were to happen at least there would be a record, and I would know who talk to about it.

Not sure where your camping that people are about at all hours?!
I haven't seen that all hours issue.
Correct Trax,Splendide