cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange problem with My Kwikee Electric Steps

74williammorris
Explorer
Explorer
Until yesterday my Kwikee electric steps worked exactly as they were supposed to. Then for some unknown reason the steps stoped working when the motor home ignition is turned off but the steps work correctly when the ignition is turned on.
Can anyone tell me what to check?

โš Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

8 REPLIES 8

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that when you turn your ignition on it puts both the chassis and coach batteries on line which would maximize power to the stairs which might overcome problem with one of your batteries or lousy ground. Suggest you take your rig down to tire/parts stores and have them test your batteries (it's free) and you should check/clean both your battery grounds and the ground wire to the stairs.
Kevin

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
74williammorris wrote:
Until yesterday my Kwikee electric steps worked exactly as they were supposed to. Then for some unknown reason the steps stoped working when the motor home ignition is turned off but the steps work correctly when the ignition is turned on.
Can anyone tell me what to check?

Welcome to the forum.

When asking about issues with your rig, it would be helpful to include what rig you have. For example, 2015 Meridian.

With no additional information, I also believe that a switch has changed positions. Our steps have a switch, which when in the on position, will open and close the steps whenever the door is open or closed, regardless of the ignition switch. When the switch is in the off position, the steps will open the first time the door is opened and will remain out until the ignition is turned on, with the door closed, or the switch is turned on again and the door is closed.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have two switches, one at the dash and one at the door. I can have the steps off or automaticly close by either one.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
low battery will cause them to do weird things.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Our unit has a wall switch that changes the operating logic, do you have a wall switch? In one position (of the wall switch) the steps will stay out no matter the door position with the ignition off. The other position (of the wall switch)the steps will track the door with ignition off.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Also could be the door switch. Did you go through the Kwikee troubleshooting guide, I think it is in the Kwikee manual.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Most Kwikee step problems are associated with low battery and/or corroded ground wire (ground wire is exposed under the rig and is common issue - you need to disconnect - and clean the connections).
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bad ground from house system, Likely problem
Blown fuse from house system, less likely

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker