cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Squeeking Door

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I finally tracked down the squeaking from the entry door on my MH. It's the rubber gasket rubbing on the metal frame. I put some silicone lube on the rubber and it stopped for only a little while. Any suggestions for something that will last and not eat up the rubber?
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System
8 REPLIES 8

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how Artum Snowbird hijacked my thread; having the same problem I guess. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I did put the rubber slideout conditioner on it awhile back, didn't change the squeaking but did make the rubber nice and supple, so I will keep using it. I'm going to put some lithium grease in the lock and wrap the post with electrical tape. Fingers crossed.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Soren,

My Winnie is in storage right now, but will be out later this week.

I will report on the findings.

Artum Snowbird
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if it helps for your year, but I have a Vista that about six years older, that had the same issue. I bought it used and found some funny evidence that it was driving the previous owner about half crazy, as there was a massive amount of duct tape residue all over the upper screen door frame.

I went to the Winny section of IRV2 and did some research. I then went out to the rig, and wrapped two or three layers of electrical tape around the latch post on the door frame. This is the 1/2" smooth bolt that the latch catches. That totally eliminated the problem. Eventually, in use, the door latch "bites" through the tape and starts banging on the post again. So it takes another $.02 worth of cheap electrical tape, and two minutes to fix it again. I've done the same thing to a 2010 Vista a friend owned, and it worked. Hope it works for you.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
This is n interesting one.

My bet is that towel is kinda working as a shim to tighten things up.

Let us know on this one.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Has the door shifted a bit in the frame? As in sagging? You might need to see if it's loose and can be tightened up, adjusted, shimmed, etc.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I know you believe it is the rubber. I work on motorhomes for a living and have for 38 years. I cannot remember the last time a door noise was caused by rubber on metal. The odds are you need to use lithium or white grease on the metal door latch mechanism. I have numerous customers that come in and state the same thing you state. I use white grease on the metal latch, we go for a test drive and the customer cannot believe it was such a simple fix. Doug

Well Doug, If you are right I will truly thank you. I have narrowed it down by putting a towel right there when I closed the door and it stopped. I sure hope you are right, that would be just wonderful!
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I know you believe it is the rubber. I work on motorhomes for a living and have for 38 years. I cannot remember the last time a door noise was caused by rubber on metal. The odds are you need to use lithium or white grease on the metal door latch mechanism. I have numerous customers that come in and state the same thing you state. I use white grease on the metal latch, we go for a test drive and the customer cannot believe it was such a simple fix. Doug

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use Thetford slide out rubber seal conditioner on all my door gaskets, compartment door gaskets, as well as the actual intended use. It keeps all these things soft, pliable, protected, and is long lasting. It is an easy spray foam, that I just rub in with a rag, where necessary.

Jerry