cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar trickle charger for chassis battery......Good or bad?

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Especially for winter storage, for my RV (and boat) I was thinking of getting a simple 20w solar trickle charger to keep the chassis battery topped off.

I see simple ones like this for ~$25-$30:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/20W-Solar-Panel-12V-Trickle-Charge-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Marine-RV-Car-T-IT/681175652

They seem to come with simple clips to connect directly from the panel to your battery terminals. No charge controller.

I've been learning more and more about solar for the house batteries (...I've got a 200w system and a 500w system I'll be installing soon on 2 RVs). Those "house battery" systems all of course have charge controllers which makes a lot of sense. The simple ~20w trickle chargers don't seem to come with (generally) charge controllers....just wires hooked up directly to the solar panel clipped to your battery.

My question is: Is it smart/good for the chassis battery to be trickle charged constantly with something simple like this that doesn't have a charge controller? It's hard to find voltages on a lot of these simple trickle chargers (...a lot say "12 Volts", but if they mean exactly 12.0 volts I don't imagine that is useful). Would a constant (....when sunny I guess, so not really constant) 13.0v or 14.0v trickle be okay for the health of the chassis battery?

Maybe they don't need a charge controller because the amps they put out is so small??? 20W seems like it would only put out about 1amp or so.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
16 REPLIES 16

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Install the big solar system and a good quality controller (that will cut out when the battery bank is charged) and call it done. No need for a second system.

If you can't get the big system installed, a 20w should be pretty harmless. They typically don't include a controller because it's not putting out enough juice to boil off the battery fluid. Of course a small charge controller is pretty cheap so if you feel like you want extra insurance, no real harm.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 200watt system from Windy Nation and the controller has an external out put which I have connected a 12vdc programmable timer. I programmed the timer to provide a half hour charge three times a week for topping off the charge to the coach battery. Works good for me.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
For winter storage I would just charge my batteries fully then disconnect the negative cable and recharge in spring. Self discharge in cold weather is very slow compared to summer temps. I do the same thing for my chassis battery and boat batteries also.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it appears the 5 amp is discontinued. :(. Could look for some old stock.

http://www.lslproducts.net/index.html

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of these 10W Solar panels always sitting on the dash of my truck plugged into an always hot 12V Receptacle...

My Truck start battery is always ready to use. I am getting up in age now and don't use my truck like I used to do... Truck usually sits in a spot that gets direct sunlight thru the windshield for a few hours each day...

Have not had any boil out of fluids and Battery sees to be always ready for use when I need it to start...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Are you going to use this on the RVs that will soon have solar? If so I recommend a Trik-L-Start combiner instead.

For the RVs with solar, I'm going to order this:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra-Trik-L-Start-p/tls-oem.htm

5amp seems like plenty for the chassis battery, right? There is a 10amp version that costs twice as much, but that seems like overkill to me.

If this is hooked up to my RV with solar, it seems like it would be able to steal a few amps per hour if needed for the chassis battery and that should be PLENTY to keep it fully charged. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!
Chris

PS: RV tinkering is addictive.....

Ugh! I can't find the 5amp version anywhere online. Did they discontinue it? Let me know if you know where to find the 5amp version. Otherwise, I'll have to go with the 10amp version that is twice as much.

Thanks!
-Chris
San Jose, CA

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
An interesting word of caution about the Trik-L-Start device.....

https://artontherun.art/2015/11/25/trik-l-start-a-word-of-caution/

I hadn't thought about that...
San Jose, CA

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Are you going to use this on the RVs that will soon have solar? If so I recommend a Trik-L-Start combiner instead.

For the RVs with solar, I'm going to order this:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra-Trik-L-Start-p/tls-oem.htm

5amp seems like plenty for the chassis battery, right? There is a 10amp version that costs twice as much, but that seems like overkill to me.

If this is hooked up to my RV with solar, it seems like it would be able to steal a few amps per hour if needed for the chassis battery and that should be PLENTY to keep it fully charged. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!
Chris

PS: RV tinkering is addictive.....
San Jose, CA

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an inexpensive option with a charge controller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-Solar-Panel-12V-Trickle-Charge-Battery-Charger-Kit-Maintainer-Marine-RV-Car/392929424106

I'll be using it on my boat that sits for a good 6 months out of the year...would be nice to be able to keep the batteries charged and with the charge controller I would hope that it handles it correctly...

-Chris
San Jose, CA

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
This solar battery charger has a MPPT charge controller.

Suner Power BC-20W Solar Battery Charger Pro
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
20 watts is more than I'd be comfortable with--except that it is NOT 24 hours a day.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
X3 on the Trik-L-Start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I have a truck and trailer. And since the trailer has solar I keep them connected. I have the Trik-L-Start connected over the truck isolation relay. Works perfect.

I think I have a good picture of how that would work...thanks!
Since I'm going solar on my RVs, I'm definitely going with this approach and just be done with it!

time2roll wrote:

20 watts might be too small for a large set of batteries or too large for a small start battery depending on how much sun you get. May want to monitor the situation a bit depending on conditions. I had 15w maintaining 4 batteries and it was never really enough even in sunny so cal.

I still am curious however (...would apply for my boat, or someone else reading this considering a trickle charger for their chassis battery...) for a ~20w trickle charge kit without a charge controller, is it okay to simply connect those clips to your chassis battery and leave it for weeks/months at a time? Is the current so weak (~1 amp) such that you don't need to ever worry about overcharging/etc?
San Jose, CA

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a truck and trailer. And since the trailer has solar I keep them connected. I have the Trik-L-Start connected over the truck isolation relay. Works perfect.

20 watts might be too small for a large set of batteries or too large for a small start battery depending on how much sun you get. May want to monitor the situation a bit depending on conditions. I had 15w maintaining 4 batteries and it was never really enough even in sunny so cal.