Explorer
I have 4/150W Renogy panels RNG-150D
P max150W
V of 22.5V
I sc 9.05A
V mp 8.38A
Max system Voltage 600VDC (UL)
Max Fuse Rating 15A
Can someone please walk me true the meaning of the individual ratings meaning.
I understand that they are 150W 12V . What does the 600VDC particularly mean, I guess it has to do with how many panels can be joined?
Thanks Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
12 REPLIES 12

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
I was hoping to use existing cables and go to 24V with MPPT charger and ad a couple of new panels to existing.
Frank.

4 x 22.5 = 90 volts in series. Many MPPTs are good to about 100 Voc. some will do 150 Voc (at 25C/77F--and Voc goes up when it is colder, so pushing your luck at that if you camp in the cold.

Add another couple of new panels of what size? Two more 12v of any watts will be 2 x 23(say) = 46 more Voc, so total 90 + 46 = 136 so you could do it with an MPPT that has 150 Voc limit. 46Voc in a "24v" panel will be a single big one high 3xx watts. Not sure how you "match" for voltages doing it that way.

Getting up there in amps size of controller needed for that many array watts.

IMO since you get the same amps to the battery by leaving your existing set as is, and adding a second set as mentioned before, why do all that work? YMMV of course.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping to use existing cables and go to 24V with MPPT charger and ad a couple of new panels to existing.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can add a second set of panels with its own controller that goes with that set of panel specs.

Then set the (adjustable on each controller with many of them) charging voltages close to the same for the two controllers and wire them both to the battery bank.

They will add their amps so it is just as good for amps to the battery as having one bigger array and one controller.

Eg, in the Class C, I have a 275w panel with an MPPT and another set of three 100w in parallel with a PWM controller. The two controllers are each set to 14.6 Vbs, and add their amps as though it was one big 575w array. I can tell they are adding their amps by seeing the amps output showing on each controller's display and then look at my battery monitor and see the total amps showing there. Kind of neat.

I had three solar sets on the C for a while, but moved one set over to the TC we got.
Photo in Profile

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks all that helps, I was unsure if I could ad more panels and a larger charger, what is most important if adding other panels without the exact same specs, and how much difference is acceptable , as my panels no longer available.
Thanks Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BFL13,

Nice find on the link. Ty.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
Um, Given that the open circuit voltage listed is 22.5 volts, you reach the limit at 26 panels in series. The 27th puts you over 600 volts.

The "real" limit is the total Voc limit rating of your solar controller, which can be say 100 volts at 77F/25C. So you can string maybe four at 22.5 each in series. But then remember that Voc goes up with colder temps (and down with higher temps) so in the cold you could fry your controller if you are near the limit for 25C.
Photo in Profile

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Um, Given that the open circuit voltage listed is 22.5 volts, you reach the limit at 26 panels in series. The 27th puts you over 600 volts.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
While the Eaton manual has a lot of good information for large grid applications it may not be the best guide for smaller RV installations. Fusing both the + and - wires is one example. But it can trigger thoughts, questions and understanding.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This might be what you are looking for--it is not all about fuses. Scroll down to the diagrams of various ways they hook up the panels and how that affects things.

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/electrical-circuit-protection/fuses/bussmann-series...
Photo in Profile

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Voc is the open circuit voltage and adds for series connected panels. Isc is the maximum amps from a panel when using a PWM controller. Vmp (which is 17.9V, you have a typo) is the voltage at maximum power - ie 17.9V*8.38A = 150W.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman is correct.

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2016/04/how-do-i-read-specifications-of-my-solar-panel/#.YF1XItxME2w

Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)

Open circuit voltage is how many volts the solar panel outputs with no load on it. If you just measure with a voltmeter across the plus and minus leads, you will read Voc. Since the solar panel isnโ€™t connected to anything, there is no load on it, and it is producing no current.

Maximum Power Point (Pmax)

The Pmax is the sweet spot of the solar panel power output, located at the โ€œkneeโ€ of the curves in the graph above. It is where the combination of the volts and amps results in the highest wattage (Volts x Amps = Watts).

V of 22.5V nominal voltage of the panel--probably best to use MPPT controller with this. If the controller can tolerate a 45 volt input, I'd wire in series/parallel.

Isc short circuit current.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it means the max voltage if connected in series. As least that's what I think it means. Only the last panel of about 35 in the string would reach that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman