cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel question??????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
have a golf cart that we use at the parks. its a 36 volt cart with 6 6 volt batteries. Anyone know if there is a solar panel that can be mounted on the roof of the cart to keep the batteries charged??? live in Az. so sun is no problem. if so what size or kind of solar panel would i need??? never dealt with solar. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT...
9 REPLIES 9

LLOPR
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest two "12 volt" panels in series. Fox example Renogy 200 Watt - https://solwiser.com/am-solar-panel-reviews/

"12 volt" panels in series, these are usually more like 24" by 54" in size.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
joelyn,

Did you simply want to maintain and slowly recharge the battery bank?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, but it seems way above my expertise as well as my pocketbook. guess just stay with the ole charger method.. but again thank u all for ur responses...

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do one pair of 6s at a time with a 12v charger or solar controller Just have battery clamps on the charger's output wires and shift along to the next pair

Did that with a 36v cart (6-sixes) that had a broken 36v charger.

Not as handy to get them all done, but perhaps a lot easier than doing all six at once considering the solar equipment required at 12v vs 36v.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
charge-controller-12v-24v-36v-48v-auto

https://www.pvace.com/products/60a-mppt-solar-charge-controller-12v-24v-36v-48v-auto-max-150vdc-inpu...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Although they are out of business, if you could find a panel or two made by Stion. Depending on the wattage of the panel the VOC is 77v to 80v.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
The Victron MPPT 100/20 48V model will work with 36V battery banks. You will need solar panels with an open circuit voltage near greater than 45V or so, so three '12V' panels in series or two '24V'panels in series.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It will be difficult if not impossible to find a single solar panel that can charge a 36 volt battery bank. Fully charged that bank will need about 44 volts. You could use two 60 cell solar panels in series, these are about 40" by 66" in size. Or, you could use 3 "12 volt" panels in series, these are usually more like 24" by 54" in size.
You will need a charge controller that will handle 36 volts. These are rare but he Outback FM60 and FM80 can both be programmed for that voltage. I'm not aware of any other models but there may be some.
60 cell panels can be found for around $150 each. An FM60 is about $400.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Joelyn,

I'd suggest two "12 volt" panels in series.

If you just want maintenance between golfing trips, it may be possible to just direct connect them to the batteries. What size in amp-hours is each of the six volt batteries?

If you want more rapid recharging, then two 60 watt panels in series and a charge controller meant for 36 volts would be needed.
Regards, Don