Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar awning

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I wonder if this is real? There is no mention of price.

https://xponentpower.com/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
12 REPLIES 12

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

From the "Reserve Now" link:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It can be "Rolled" up in a storm (As noted kind of defeats it however)
and a canvas sheet below the panels sheds rain.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seems really rube-goldberg. Much better would be rooftop and maybe some small solid panels that can fold up on the back and driver side.

I've seen enough awnings go in wind storms, I see nothing that would avoid that and unlike a standard awning where you close it when you leave for the day, that would undermine the purpose of generating power.

Plus it doesn't function as an awning. There are openings between each sub-panel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like $7500 Link

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
solar awning= parking spot in the sun ideally facing south.

One, we prefer to park in the shade, use portable panels
Two: how many sites have the orientation to have the awning facing south?

yes, if it is flat as long as sun hits it you'll get power, but then I prefer the shade.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

It is indeed real.. HOWEVER.
They talk about "limitless off grid".. You may find it is not enough to fully power your rig especially if you need air Conditioning.

But it sure will help if you are paying for kilowatts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I think solar awning is not quite correct. The web site pictures do not suggest that the panels are flexible.

Looking at the add pictures again it appears that it folds accordion style and goes in the box/ holder on the roof edge.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Got to be one heavy awning.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think solar awning is not quite correct. The web site pictures do not suggest that the panels are flexible.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
warm fuzzy feeling and green energy.
Sounds good to me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I recall, Roadtrek was working with this a few years ago for their all electric Zion that was supposed to be able to run the A/C for 8+ hours off batteries which could then be recharged in 20 minutes with the high output alternator on the Sprinter chassis. Then they sold the company, got spun off the parent company, went bankrupt and eventually came back as a privately owned company when a French family which makes RVs bought the remains.

But it think before that electric Zion made it to market a LOT of the specs were changed to greatly lower expectations. The awning may have disappeared at that time.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I always want my solar production under tree cover. Make for a nice advertisement picture though, warm fuzzy feeling and green energy.

I'd be skeptical about longterm life of the in and out of the solar awning.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.