Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

should i raise tires off the ground for long storage

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:)

I have a 2008 Everest fifth wheel that I've set up on a piece of land and plan to leave it there for a couple of years at least, using it during the summer time.

Should I raise the fifth wheel so the tires are off the ground?

thanks

nicholas
17 REPLIES 17

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've stored mine with tires off the ground for years. I have two short fat pneumatic cylinders and I can raise my fiver and put it on jackstands in a few minutes. My fiver doesn't get a lot of usage and it's so easy to raise up so I do it. I'm also going to start letting the pressure down in the tires while it's stored. FWIW, my previous fiver had ST tires on it when I was living in Arizona and it didn't matter if I kept it stored with tires off the ground and the tires covered... The ST tires only lasted four years, almost to the month, before the treads separated. The last set of ST tires had tread separation and blew the sidewall out of one of them and blasted a whole in the vinyl tire cover even over the winter while it was stored off the ground. I figured that set only had 3weeks of road time on them That's right I put 16 inch wheels and LT tires on it! Craig

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
HI

I just wanted to thank everyone for information and advice.

It truly is appreciated

This is an awesome forum

good health to all

thanks

nicholas

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
300+ dollars each. Removed all 10 tires, smeared with thick silicone spray and stored in shade. Michelins. 1100 x 22.5"

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessary. Only if you have old bias ply tires as they will tend to get flat spots, radial tires won't.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
If the rear end is on blocks I would be concerned about cracking linoleum flooring during very cold weather. You should also block up the chassis at the axel(s) so there is no uneven stress flexing the frame in cold temperatures that might occur if the tires are carrying their normal weight. JMO.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely raise the camper. You don't necessarily need to get the tires "off the ground", but take the weight off.

Big bonus to doing this is a stable, firm camper! Virtually all campers I see at camp grounds that are there for the season are on wood or cinder blocks. I think it is just nice to not have a creaky, rocking camper for the season.

You are talking at least two years. It really will be only what... one weekend to set up? (maybe two weekends to get parts you forgot) Put the camper on blocks, get some hard plastic piping for your septic, and life will just be wonderful!

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving them raised off the ground makes them much easier to steal.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Chance are the tires are not brand new. I would tend to agree with the suggestion that if they are already a few years old, just put on new tires when you decide to get mobile again. That way you don't have to worry about them sun fading, cracking, getting flat spots, and any other problem that some folks go to great lengths to avoid. Some of us do nothing except buy new ones when they are needed. This is the easiest way I have found. Trailer tires should be changed every four or five years anyway. Those blowouts can cause a lot of damage at highway speeds.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many times I have spent 6 months at a time in PalmSprings, CA with lot's of Sun and never covered a tire. Never a crack or tire issue from doing so. Never use 303 either.

Bottom line.......Quality Tires!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard on the sidewalls to stay in the same position for that long. Especially if they are in the sun.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For that length of time I would put the rig on RR ties and get the tires off the ground; or at least take the load off. You might also review the suggestions on the Michelin website: https://www.michelinman.com/storingTires.html
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
nykolas wrote:
for a couple of years at least

That's quite a while. I'd elevate them or maybe spin them around every year so a different part is making contact. Also, how old are the tires? It might be time to consider changing them when you do eventually move.

Aside from the tires, if I were leaving my RV stationary for that long I'd throw it up on the blocks just for my comfort while using it.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I no nothing about fifth wheels in regards to tires. But for my MH Goodyear says to use the levelers to reduce weight on the tires and to inflate them 25% more than normal to reduce flat spotting.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Something between the earth and the tires is somewhat beneficial but also not required. Maybe something like plastic or plywood if on dirt.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?