cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SEVERLY wobbly dining table

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a dining table in our latest camper is the style where the two leg tubes fit into holes/mounts on the floor and the table, and it is INCREDIBLY wobbly when set up. I looked into finding replacements, but all I could find was the same mounts/legs which I think would be just as wobbly. Does anyone know if there is a way to stabilize tables with these mounts/legs:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-kwuh809851/images/stencil/590x590/products/579/3650/_Tabletop_3-4_2_Legs___99159.1534783095.jpg?c=2
12 REPLIES 12

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
My two legged dinette table initially did the hippy hippy shake. I measured the table and found the legs off center in EVERY way possible. I remounted the leg bases, on the floor and table and mounted the table top so it rests against the wall. Very little movement now.
Because the table is made to be removable, it will have some movement. Nature of the beast.

I never thought of it being off-center. That might be it. Thanks, I'll check that out too. I can't move it to the wall because it's right up against a window and don't want it resting there.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
My two legged dinette table initially did the hippy hippy shake. I measured the table and found the legs off center in EVERY way possible. I remounted the leg bases, on the floor and table and mounted the table top so it rests against the wall. Very little movement now.
Because the table is made to be removable, it will have some movement. Nature of the beast.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I had a similar issue. The ends of the tubes are crimped inwards so that there is initially a good fit. Eventually wear caused a loose fit and I had to replace the tubes.

You might want to start over with an entirely new table mount system. I went with the Lagun and really like it. Check out the videos.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking and I was shopping around, but I'm just worried that I'll replace them and be in the same boat. These pressure-fit type tables are never quite perfectly solid (in every camper I've been in, they've had a bit of a rock to them, but not as bad as I'm seeing now).

It looks like they've invented some telescopic legs for campers, but they're quite expensive, but maybe even one would work for me, even though it is a larger table?

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
When secured CORRECTLY, this type table does not wobble. Odds are the floor mounts have stripped out their screws. Fix is to remove both floor mounts and rotate about 1 inch to get the mount screws to hit fresh wood. Doug

It is VERY common for this type table system to come loose. When in table mode, pushing and pulling by the diners cause the mounts to strip out in the wood floor.

They are secured correctly. The bases are absolutely solid and so is the ground/table. The legs seem to have a bit of room in the sockets.

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
When secured CORRECTLY, this type table does not wobble. Odds are the floor mounts have stripped out their screws. Fix is to remove both floor mounts and rotate about 1 inch to get the mount screws to hit fresh wood. Doug

It is VERY common for this type table system to come loose. When in table mode, pushing and pulling by the diners cause the mounts to strip out in the wood floor.

They are secured correctly. The bases are absolutely solid and so is the ground/table. The legs seem to have a bit of room in the sockets.

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Is it wobbly because it fits the floor sockets loosely? Ours got wobbly because the floor socket cracked, fixed it by replacing the floor socket. Maybe the socket on the table isn't mounted solidly. Describing where it's wobbly would help. Do the legs not fit solidly into the sockets?

The floor is solid and the sockets are solid, but the legs seem to move too much in the sockets. They seem to fit nicely when put in place, but then when you lean on the table, it moves....a lot.

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Try some tape for a shim and if resolved look for a more permanent shim.

Yeah, I think I might try this first. Maybe some duct tape wrapped around the legs? I'll try it and report back.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
I had a similar issue. The ends of the tubes are crimped inwards so that there is initially a good fit. Eventually wear caused a loose fit and I had to replace the tubes.

You might want to start over with an entirely new table mount system. I went with the Lagun and really like it. Check out the videos.

Im having the same issue but the Lagun won't work for me. I may try just buy another base leg and see if that is the issue, thanks.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it wobbly because it fits the floor sockets loosely? Ours got wobbly because the floor socket cracked, fixed it by replacing the floor socket. Maybe the socket on the table isn't mounted solidly. Describing where it's wobbly would help. Do the legs not fit solidly into the sockets?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try some tape for a shim and if resolved look for a more permanent shim.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob