cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seeking refrigerator tips... in AZ and heat is hampering...

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
.. its ability to keep cold.

I don't know much about these units, but I assume the idea is to keep the back coils cooler?

I have seen one guy with a fan in the outside compartment.
But that's just blowing 110 degree air on the coils.

I am kind of thinking of one of those tiny swamp coolers that they advertise on TV.

Any comments or education welcome.
thanks..
40 REPLIES 40

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Star Gazer wrote:
Many times these fridges are not installed correctly to begin with. The specs call for no more than a certain space in front of the cooling fins, this is so that as air moves up it actually goes thru the fins. If the space it too large then air goes past the fins and does not cool them enough. I have added a deflector to mine that forces air closer to the fins. And if is really hot I will set a fan pointing towards the bottom and remove both upper and lower vent covers. Shade is a must as well.
Yup, good point. On many units the entire rear baffle needs to be about an inch away from all the rear coils. Having the entire baffle that close actually improves air movement due to the venturi effect. One would think more space would be better, but not the case.

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
Many times these fridges are not installed correctly to begin with. The specs call for no more than a certain space in front of the cooling fins, this is so that as air moves up it actually goes thru the fins. If the space it too large then air goes past the fins and does not cool them enough. I have added a deflector to mine that forces air closer to the fins. And if is really hot I will set a fan pointing towards the bottom and remove both upper and lower vent covers. Shade is a must as well.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
It's triple digits here in Tucson and my refrigerator has no trouble making ice cubes. It's plugged in to shore power if that makes a difference.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exterior fans will help. We've found it improves cooling about 2-4 degrees when ambient temps are really high.

We've camped in 110+ AZ heat many times. Even a perfectly operating propane frig with double exterior fans will have trouble maintaining 40 degrees in this kind of heat. If you access the frig more than once every 2-3 hours during the heat of the day you'll be lucky to stay below 45.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on fanโ€™s & get side in shadeโ€ฆ

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Propane refrigerator MUST be level also.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I have two 12V computer fans blowing air upward in the back of the fridge. They are mounted about half way up the back of the flue. Getting the heat to rise out of the flue is the key.
X2 This is what we did also. Also keep the refer at maximum cold (9) setting, cool inside the coach, shade the vents outside the RV and don't open the refer as much as possible.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 12V computer fans blowing air upward in the back of the fridge. They are mounted about half way up the back of the flue. Getting the heat to rise out of the flue is the key.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the cooling unit is 150F (not sure of the actual temp but it's pretty hot).
- If there is minimal airflow, the air around the cooling unit may be 130-140F, so only a 10-20F temp difference.
- If you push 110F air in, that's a 40F temp difference which will extract more heat from the cooling unit.

That said, 110F can be problematic.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MrWizard
Fans help, the move more air over the coils, yes the outside air is hot, but the heat exchanger coil is hotter, the more air flow the more heat removed from the coolant, the better the absorption RV fridge will operate
Parking so the fridge side of the RV is not in the afternoon sun helps, put out the awning, hang a tarp, park next to a tree, anything that shades the back of the fridge, helps
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
mini swamp cooler.. see...

www.arcticairpurechill.com