Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator still not working.

booten
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we replace the refrigerator in our motorhome
The refrigerator still isn't working what else can we check?
Roger & Ruth
It's not just camping, It's a lifestyle!

2012 Harley Street Glide Ember Red Sunglo
2015 Harley Tri Glide
17 REPLIES 17

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
booten wrote:
We checked all the breakers, the fridge has power the fan is running. It's only pulling 3 amps of power on the power panel. The motorhome is setting level.

If the fan is running and it is not cold.
CHECK your coach battery.
Fridge thermostat needs strong 12 volt to work. It can't turn on if there is low voltage 12v..

The fridge WILL run without 12v but it can not turn the thermostat on to make it cold.

Been there done that I had every repair known to man suggested when I had that same problem. ONE forum member told me to check the battery. I had bad convertor which in turn did not supply constant 12 volt.

You are forgetting. IF the 12 volt fan is running, then there is enough 12 volt power to operate the refer 12 volt controls. Refer controls are millivolt. The fan is full 12 volt operation. WHY check the battery? If the Power Converter is to spec, the refer will have 12 volts. Doug

Mine was a REAL weird situation. The repair guy would check the convertor and it registered where it should. Put the tester on, it hit the right number and he took tester off. Deemed the converter working.

Only after going thru 3 repair guys did "I" figure it out.

If you left the tester on the convertor longer you could see it was spiking WAY over what it is supposed to be putting out and it was ultimately boiling the batteries when it was in the spike mode.

One of the capacitors has a hole in it like it was shot with a 22. BUT it still kept working only could not regulate it self.

This alone was the cause for the fridge not working AND the a/c. Both would come on but when it hit the temp set could not come back on. Repair guys all said I needed a new a/c and fridge. :R

Replaced converter, replaced boiled battery and 8 years later still have the same fridge and a/c that are working just fine.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
how hot is it outside? and it does take apprx 12hrs to cool down.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
booten wrote:
We checked all the breakers, the fridge has power the fan is running. It's only pulling 3 amps of power on the power panel. The motorhome is setting level.

Fridge thermostat needs strong 12 volt to work. It can't turn on if there is low voltage 12v..

The fridge WILL run without 12v but it can not turn the thermostat on to make it cold.

Been there done that I had every repair known to man suggested when I had that same problem. ONE forum member told me to check the battery. I had bad convertor which in turn did not supply constant 12 volt.

You are forgetting. IF the 12 volt fan is running, then there is enough 12 volt power to operate the refer 12 volt controls. Refer controls are millivolt. The fan is full 12 volt operation. WHY check the battery? If the Power Converter is to spec, the refer will have 12 volts. Doug

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
booten wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
As Chris mentioned, nothing fancy about replacing a refer. You slide it in and start it up. NOW, if they did NOT check the ventilation system on the RV, then the refer may not work. Maybe that is why the old refer failed. Doug
1. IS this in a slide room?
2. What Brand and Model refer? Is it the same brand and model of the one that failed?
3. WHY did you replace the refer?

booten
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. Looks like we're going to put it back in the shop.
Roger & Ruth

2015 Harley Tri Glide

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Multiple failures usually points to bad installation- on a replacement, it is not unusual to have insulation blocking the condenser coils.
Regardless, it is something the installing dealer should deal with.
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
booten wrote:
3 amps of 120vac sounds normal for the heater. The rest is just the thermodynamic chemical process so the issue would seem to be with the cooling unit itself.

MrWizard
you did not use the battery disconnect did you ?

did you check battery voltage

120v or LP it still has to have good DC voltage for the controls or it won't turn on an cool
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about BRAND/MODEL for starters......

Generic

12V DC to control module backside of fridge?
120V AC to outlet fridge is plugged into?
Fuses on control module not blown...tested not just looked at?
Upper panel lights on...work?
Does it turn ON?
Does it go in 'auto' mode?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Is the check light on?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

booten
Explorer
Explorer
Roger & Ruth

2015 Harley Tri Glide

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
did you check 12v and 120v circuit breakers? power to tbe panel but no cooling?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

booten
Explorer
Explorer
It has a warranty on it. We had a RV dealer put in Thursday, it worked good when we got it home now it's warm.
Roger & Ruth

2015 Harley Tri Glide