cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refill small propane cylinder

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A thread was closed before I could ask Grit Dog or anyone else about this. I have not heard of this here or anywhere else.

I carry This one for my small Weber Q,much easier to store and move.

I have never had a problem getting it filled. Are there some places that prohibit this and if so why.

Posted By: Grit dog on 10/08/22 09:19am

PS, that is the cutest little LP bottle Iโ€™ve ever seen! Good thing that guy donโ€™t live in PA because heโ€™d be stuck with no LP refills โ€ฆ.lol
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
34 REPLIES 34

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
  • Refilled bottles must be verified by weight. Stuffed bottles can vent wildly which is dangerous
  • Stow bottles to be refilled in the freezer to speed refilling
  • Liquid LPG hose with an inline **** valve is the easiest to manage
  • Check filled bottles for weight
  • Use a top tapper to bleed excess weight. Do not touch the small vent hole. They will almost always leak if you do
  • Submerge in water to check for leaks.

This is why I bought a 5 pound (1 gallon) tank with a standard OPD valve. Refillable wherever propane is sold.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Refilled bottles must be verified by weight. Stuffed bottles can vent wildly which is dangerous
  • Stow bottles to be refilled in the freezer to speed refilling
  • Liquid LPG hose with an inline **** valve is the easiest to manage
  • Check filled bottles for weight
  • Use a top tapper to bleed excess weight. Do not touch the small vent hole. They will almost always leak if you do
  • Submerge in water to check for leaks.

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
stevenal wrote:
The "transfer kits" linked above all seem to involve only hoses. How does one transfer Liquified Petroleum Gas without a pump? Perhaps a little bit might transfer through the hose as gas pressures equalize, but I fail to see how anything close to a refill is possible.

The 29# cylinder is turned upside-down, the 1# cylinder is suspended by the hose and fittings. Liquid flows downward and replaces the vapor in the 1# cylinder. Takes about 30 minutes for a 1# cylinder to fill with that method.
One must monitor this or the 1# cylinder can fill completely with liquid. I use an old kitchen scale to monitor 1# cylinder weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget the "L" in LP is Liquid, so given some time, the liquid will flow downhill. Kind of sketchy IMO, given the possibility of leaks and pockets of propane gas, but people do it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
The "transfer kits" linked above all seem to involve only hoses. How does one transfer Liquified Petroleum Gas without a pump? Perhaps a little bit might transfer through the hose as gas pressures equalize, but I fail to see how anything close to a refill is possible.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
The little green bottles are single-use disposables because the valves are junk.

This is the very reason I went to the 1 Gallon that I linked in my OP.

More than once after I turned off my Weber and did not take the bottle off I would come back and it would be empty.One time I took one off and the valve didn't close up and the propane still was flowing. With the 1 Gallon when I turn it off I know it is off.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The little green bottles are single-use disposables because the valves are junk. Can you refill them? Sure. But if the valve fails, you may find yourself with a problem.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ray,IN wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
A thread was closed before I could ask Grit Dog or anyone else about this. I have not heard of this here or anywhere else.

I have never had a problem getting it filled. Are there some places that prohibit this and if so why.

PS, that is the cutest little LP bottle Iโ€™ve ever seen! Good thing that guy donโ€™t live in PA because heโ€™d be stuck with no LP refills โ€ฆ.lol

That one is a standard propane cylinder just like a 20 pound or 30 pound cylinder, only in a smaller size. Your only limit is the same one that the 20# and 30# cylinders have, namely, they have to be recertified occasionally. The issue of refilling small cylinders that you hear about is refilling the little 1 pound disposable cylinders. They are not designed to be refilled, but some folks do so anyway.

Actually the law says "not to be resold if refilled".

You are talking law. I am talking original design criteria.
Bobbo and Lin

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:

That one is a standard propane cylinder just like a 20 pound or 30 pound cylinder, only in a smaller size. Your only limit is the same one that the 20# and 30# cylinders have, namely, they have to be recertified occasionally. The issue of refilling small cylinders that you hear about is refilling the little 1 pound disposable cylinders. They are not designed to be refilled, but some folks do so anyway.

Actually the law says "not to be resold if refilled".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
Quite possibly a dumb question but bear with me.
We recently bought a Mr Heater propane heater and a 5' adapter hose to connect a 20# cylinder to it. After getting it back to the RV (fulltimers), I read the instructions which stated not to hook up a 20# cylinder indoors. Is this a CYA on their part or is it really dangerous to have the heater and 20# cylinder inside our RV. We wanted to run the Mr Heater overnight as they are much more efficient that the LP furnace and the 1 pound disposables only last 4.5 hours on the low setting.

By the way, years ago we had a Mr Heater Big Buddy in a 43' diesel pusher. I put a T in the gas line to the oven/stove and ran a hose to the Mr Heater. Never had an issue.
There should not be significant high pressure propane or natural gas within the living space.
Not just fire but also Hypoxia hazard.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the regulator from my Buddy heater then using a hose plumbed it to a tee in the line that feeds my cooktop.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
We recently bought a Mr Heater propane heater and a 5' adapter hose to connect a 20# cylinder to it. After getting it back to the RV (fulltimers), I read the instructions which stated not to hook up a 20# cylinder indoors. Is this a CYA on their part or is it really dangerous to have the heater and 20# cylinder inside our RV. We wanted to run the Mr Heater overnight as they are much more efficient that the LP furnace and the 1 pound disposables only last 4.5 hours on the low setting.

By the way, years ago we had a Mr Heater Big Buddy in a 43' diesel pusher. I put a T in the gas line to the oven/stove and ran a hose to the Mr Heater. Never had an issue.

The concept is that a propane tank should not be indoors due to the possibility of a propane leak and a kaboom.
Bobbo and Lin

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:

YES! It is DEFINITELY CYA, and also an attempt to minimize the chance that you BBQ yours.

From numerous widely published sources:

"All propane tanks, including the cylinders you use for your BBQ grill, are required by law to have pressure relief devices to allow for the release of excess pressure in the tank. A safety relief valve is there to protect your propane tank from rupturing if excess pressure builds up inside the tank."

Chum lee

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah