cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reefer drain hose thingy ma bob

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had water on the floor under the fridge. Went outside to look at the drain line, cut the end off and a lot of war we came out.

I had heard of the little filter-plug thing clogging and intend to clean it and put it back
But I have to ask;

What does it do and what problem does it solve?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
17 REPLIES 17

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
One recommendation I've seen is to place a balloon with the tip cut off over the end of the hose (making the equivalent of a HepvO valve. Lets the water out, but keeps bugs and warm air from getting in. No idea if it actually works, but I've met a couple of people that swear by it. You might ask Doug if it is practical...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Problem with the cup, is it can overflow and put water on the "floor" area of the refer causing it to rot out.
I would extend the hose, attach it to the vent cover so the end is sticking slightly out of the vent. Make sure it has a trap. It should be part of "start" of season cleaning.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
The refer exterior access will get dirty from the roads. Dust and other debris can lay in bottom of the cup.
The water from the refer is not always the cleanest. It should be, but it is not always. Some materials fall off the cooling fins into the tray that ends upmin cup or inside the tube blocked by the "filter".

Thanks for the clear detail. That makes sense as to what could happen under certain conditions.

I'm guessing that Norcold engineering's reason for the collection tray is to keep water off the floor of the refrigerator cabinet (and maybe off of the RV's floor) by providing a tray to hold this refrig (defrost?) water for a bit until it evaporates quickly from burner warmth.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The refer exterior access will get dirty from the roads. Dust and other debris can lay in bottom of the cup.
The water from the refer is not always the cleanest. It should be, but it is not always. Some materials fall off the cooling fins into the tray that ends upmin cup or inside the tube blocked by the "filter".

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug ... I don't argue ... I question statements that mislead unintentionally via not describing situations clearly enough.

I still wonder how the valve can get clogged up from laying temporarily in water that might collect from the refrigerator's interior in the Norcold drain cup before it soon evaporates due to warmth from being close to the burner?

What's coming out of the valve into the drain cup is water - not crud that can clog it. :h

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
DO NOT allow the end to lay in the drain cup. lift it up a 1/2 inch and have it dangle just above the drain cup. That will allow the check valve to do its job and not get clogged up.

How does allowing the end to lay in the drain cup prevent the one-way check valve from letting water drain out of the line into the drain cup?

WHAT I am saying, is, to PREVENT the check valve from getting gummed up and NOT working, do not lay it in the drain cup. I did not say it would prevent the drain check valve from working. I guess you are just ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE, has to argue everything:h Doug

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
DO NOT allow the end to lay in the drain cup. lift it up a 1/2 inch and have it dangle just above the drain cup. That will allow the check valve to do its job and not get clogged up.

How does allowing the end to lay in the drain cup prevent the one-way check valve from letting water drain out of the line into the drain cup?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
On Dometic refers, the end of the drain hose has a cap with small holes, that does 2 things, to prevent insects going up and to restrict a small amount of air from going back up into the refer. When installing the refer, they supply a LOT of extra white drain hose for the installer to either loop and make a P-Trap to stop air intrusion. I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN OEM INSTALL IT THIS WAY.
On Norcold Refers, they have a drain cup next to the burner flue with the drain hose installed in that cup. On the end is a plastic check valve that opens when water fills the drain tube. DO NOT allow the end to lay in the drain cup. lift it up a 1/2 inch and have it dangle just above the drain cup. That will allow the check valve to do its job and not get clogged up. Clogged up Norcold drain check valves are very common. Doug

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Our filter-plug also stops draining whenever the little tray it rests in fills up with water, which happens often when it's very humid.

So I pull the hose out the frig's side vent and let it drain outside at those times.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is "off" season?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
You can also re-route the tube to put a small "P" trap in the line to prevent critters from entering.

What about when it dries out during the off season?

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me that I should do something with my furnace.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I bought one of those plastic mesh-like dish scrubbers for a dollar or so, cut off a small piece, and pushed it up into the tube.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
SAR Tracker wrote:
keeps bugs out of the tube. Yellow Jackets in particular.

Or, you can get a new one here.....

$11.00???
ROFL!

When I bought the RV new I added screens to all vents as Mud Daubers are a scourge in Florida.

If I can clean this one enough Iโ€™ll put it back on or add a screen.

Thanks all.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.