cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear bumper spare tire carrier

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 Sunnybrook fiver came with a bumper mounted spare carrier. It broke off at the vertical support along the road after a few years. The replacement has now broken. I have looked at the ones online and they are rated at about 65 pounds and my spare weighs over 90. I don't have a receiver hitch. Does anyone know of a sturdy bumper mount carrier?
20 REPLIES 20

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Here are pictures of my arrangement from Winnebago.

The rear frame of the vehicle has a steel plate welded across the back of it, and the bumper is attached to that plate. This plate also serves as an anchor point for the rear tow hitch. The plate has a section of C-channel welded in place behind it, and a vertical section of C-channel is bolted to that.

So Winnebago basically made a welded frame extension to which the bumper, and the spare tire, mount to.

So it's not really mounted to the bumper, so much as to a welded assembly welded to the frame.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's replies. The vertical mount is very sturdy and the piece that failed was a 3/16 strip that the wheel attached to. I had it welded back together and then the whole piece welded to the vertical. I am pretty sure it is good for another 13 years. Closed.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of Bumper? If it's the 4" square tube made of sheet metal and welded to brackets that connect to the RV frame, the load and leverage against the welds is very likely to tear the tubing there.
A company, and I forget who, offers brackets to bolt to the frame and support the square tubing. With that or something similar, might be OK to hang a spare off one of those bumpers. Otherwise, not so much.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Irrelevant - the OP has said his has already failed twice. Obviously it's an issue he needs to address.

maillemaker wrote:
OP was looking for a sturdy bumper-mount solution. I provided an example of a bumper-mounted system that works long term (C-channel bolted to bumper). Doesn't get much more relevant unless I go take a picture of it for him.

This is only a relevant solution if that support is bolted or welded to the trailer frame, not the bumper which offers little strength itself, despite your claimed success. You're right though about a pic showing exactly what you're talking about, as that would be relevant.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a bumper mount to the BAL under mount . It is excellent. 103.00 delivered from Amazon.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Irrelevant - the OP has said his has already failed twice. Obviously it's an issue he needs to address.

OP was looking for a sturdy bumper-mount solution. I provided an example of a bumper-mounted system that works long term (C-channel bolted to bumper). Doesn't get much more relevant unless I go take a picture of it for him.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
maillemaker wrote:
My RV is going on 30 years old. Spare tire has been on a piece of C-channel bolted to the rear of the RV. Never any problems.
Irrelevant - the OP has said his has already failed twice. Obviously it's an issue he needs to address. :R
Very relevant as the RV tire holder broke and the C-channel steel is doing great.

I also use C-channel and it puts the weight right above the bumper instead of the RV tire holder that has the weight aft and creating a twisting force to rip the bumper off.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
My RV is going on 30 years old. Spare tire has been on a piece of C-channel bolted to the rear of the RV. Never any problems.

Irrelevant - the OP has said his has already failed twice. Obviously it's an issue he needs to address. :R

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
voodoo101 wrote:
My 2001 Sunnybrook fiver came with a bumper mounted spare carrier. It broke off at the vertical support along the road after a few years. The replacement has now broken. I have looked at the ones online and they are rated at about 65 pounds and my spare weighs over 90. I don't have a receiver hitch. Does anyone know of a sturdy bumper mount carrier?

square bumper mounts >etrailer.com

I use the bike rack part of this to hang my lawn chairs and/or expens when going to dog shows. Can be found at any RV store/RV dealership.

This one has been on my MH for 10 years with me many times overloading the bike rack part with so many different items and can't remember all what I hooked on it!... and it still is hanging on. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's my understanding that a standard 4" square steel bumper is only rated by the factories for 100 lbs. That'd be for static weight so with all the up/down dynamic forces while travelling down roads, the bumper can be over-stressed from the spare tire. Not sure what a typical tire carrier is rated for but can't be for much more than the bumper it's on.

We installed a BAL hide-a-spare carrier under our TT and are very happy with it. Much cleaner look at the rear too. We were about 6" over the incremental length on a WA ferry we use every season and the carrier cost will soon be paid for in the fare reduction! ๐Ÿ™‚

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer

Steve

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fabricated a holder that attaches to the rear bumper. Worked just fine for 24,000 miles. Then last Fall I noticed the bumper didn't look right. So I checked out and found the bumper was tearing away from the angle iron frame mounts. Lucky the bumper didn't break off. Well I repaired and repainted the bumper and I'm in the process of fitting a hanger between the rear frames where it belongs. This is on a class C though. I should have realized that bumper was to flimsy to hold that much weight.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I took my spare tire holder off my Keystone Outback bumper when I purchased a cargo carrier to use with the factory installed hitch. Ever since, I've been carrying the spare tire in the bed of the pick-up truck when we go camping. Once home, I take it back out and keep it in the garage.

Maybe there are alternative ways to carry the spare without hanging it on the bumper waiting for another failure to occur.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
voodoo101 wrote:
My 2001 Sunnybrook fiver came with a bumper mounted spare carrier. It broke off at the vertical support along the road after a few years. The replacement has now broken.

Doesn't that tell you something? Find another location for carrying that spare. ๐Ÿ˜‰