cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Normal" refrigerator temps

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a norcold refrigerator. Unable to supply the model number right now.

I had the motor home a/c units set at 75 degrees. Outside temperature was 72 degrees. When I went into the motor home at 7:30 AM, the temperature in the refrigerator was 39 degrees. I am operating it on electric. Is this in the "normal range"?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
42 REPLIES 42

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Instructions on two different brands of refrigerators, , Frigidaire and GE, both say set the temperature of the refer at 37 and the freezer at o. I think they understand the temperatures as well as the appliances they manufacture.

Agreed with enthusiasm

In the tropics shelf life is critical. I "try" to keep things as cold as possible. The refrigerator does not actually damage produce or fruit at 32 degrees. Actual item temp. Sensitive stuff is kept nearer the door. I have a Pabst fan on 24/7

The freezer is kept at - 10F but if outside temps exceed 90ยฐF 24 volt amp hours start climbing too rapidly. I ease the setting to zero.

I use amp hour meters on both the standing 18 CF freezer and refrigerator. They were added late 2017 They manage data like crazy. I had the freezer spray foamed 2 - 3" on sides, bottom and rear.

In the reefer mayo lasts longer at 35 than it does at 40.

Tiny fans aid cooling of both condensers. My son in law drove to an American enclave and bought seven used panels off lady who was bailing out. Quicksilver now has 11 panels making it autonomous. The 7 panels are alongside not mounted on the roof until I get home.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:
I still wonder about the temps of those that shut down their fridge while traveling and say they can go for "4-8 hours" when It's *80 outside and everything is still cold??

But, what is the actual temps?? If they are still no more than *40 after 8 hours, I want one of those fridges!! Ha, even my home fridge can't do that! ha, ha.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

DITTO!

I always leave my fridge on when traveling. If I am heading east or south, the fridge side of the rig faces the sun, and the fridge needs to be set to a lower temp setting in order to stay cold. With that in mind, I have a really hard time believing those that say "I turn my fridge off and it stays cold when traveling all day"

Last week I bought this monitor and will move the display unit to the truck the next time I travel, and see what the fridge temps are while in motion.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Instructions on two different brands of refrigerators, , Frigidaire and GE, both say set the temperature of the refer at 37 and the freezer at o. I think they understand the temperatures as well as the appliances they manufacture.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I still wonder about the temps of those that shut down their fridge while traveling and say they can go for "4-8 hours" when It's *80 outside and everything is still cold??

But, what is the actual temps?? If they are still no more than *40 after 8 hours, I want one of those fridges!! Ha, even my home fridge can't do that! ha, ha.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
The recommended temperatures for refrigeration by the FDA or other enforcing agencies will be the maximum temperature and not necessarily the ideal nor sought after temp. Pathogenic bacteria will proliferate at temperatures between >40-<140 deg F so at temperatures above or below these two temps will prevent the growth of these bacteria. Not all bacteria are bad and the important ones, the pathogenic ones live in this range. So I feel that at a temperature as low as you can get without freezing foods is the ideal point to look for. Of course not all foods freeze at the same temperature so keep in mind the more susceptible one to low temperature like vegetables.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Sticking a probe in a refer and measuring temps will give false info. Temp probes should be measuring the temperature of something such as a glass of water or a piece of meat.Knowing the temp of what you are trying to keep cold is the important thing.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
imgoin4it wrote:
The recommended temperatures are: 37 degrees for the refrigerator and 0 for the freezer.

While that is below FDAs general recommendation, 37F is YOUR recommendation.

Giving one temp does not tell the whole story.

T stats have something called Hysteresis, basically in a nutshell a "deadzone" or distance between ON and OFF, in fridges this deadzone can be broad.

37 could be an average between the two, but if you set it for 37 as turn off it could go ABOVE 40F before it turns on..

Hence the REASON to make sure the fridge is just above freezing (IE 33F) and then the off should not exceed 40F.

On RV fridges there are a lot of slop in the system so aim low and hope for the best.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says the recommended refrigerator temperature is below 40ยฐF; the ideal freezer temp is below 0ยฐF.
However, the ideal refrigerator temperature is actually lower: Aim to stay between 35ยฐ and 38ยฐF (or 1.7 to 3.3ยฐC). This temperature range is as close as you can get to freezing without being so cold your food will freeze. Itโ€™s also as close as the refrigerator temperature should get to the 40ยฐF threshold, at which point bacteria begin multiplying rapidly.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
The recommended temperatures are: 37 degrees for the refrigerator and 0 for the freezer.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

MrWizard
For what ever reason ?
My RV fridge works better on propane than electric,
The electric heating elements 'on mine' do not produce the same btu's of heat energy,
I have not checked them, but I suspect that one of them might not be working
Yes this fridge has (2) 115v heating elements
You might switch to propane for testing purposes to see if it cools better using LP, under the same ambient conditions
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
RRTom wrote:
. . . the temperature in the refrigerator was 39 degrees. I am operating it on electric. Is this in the "normal range"?

Yes, but where in the fridge are you measuring the temp? In my residential fridge, the temp in the back may be 10 degrees cooler than on a door shelf.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some interesting responses in this thread
I posted a link in my last post... Check it out

Before I hit the site I THOUGHT I remembered the advice given there (not the first time I've visited) but that is why I returned to it before posting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RRTom wrote:

I had the motor home a/c units set at 75 degrees. Outside temperature was 72 degrees. When I went into the motor home at 7:30 AM, the temperature in the refrigerator was 39 degrees. I am operating it on electric. Is this in the "normal range"?

What 'temp setting' are you using? (1-9)
'3' then 39*F is within range
'5' then 39*F and ambient is 72*F---then cooling unit should be able to go lower then 39*F
'9' then you have REAL cooling issues.....thermistor, door seals, heat transfer, obstructed cooling unit tubing etc.

I had it at 5. I've since turned it up to 8 a few minutes ago. Freezer temp this morning was 9.

We are heading out in a few hours, and once we get settled again I will check both again.

39*F under what circumstances????

Lot more involved then JUST if temp is within range!
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RRTom wrote:

What 'temp setting' are you using? (1-9)
'3' then 39*F is within range
'5' then 39*F and ambient is 72*F---then cooling unit should be able to go lower then 39*F
'9' then you have REAL cooling issues.....thermistor, door seals, heat transfer, obstructed cooling unit tubing etc.

39*F under what circumstances????

Lot more involved then JUST if temp is within range!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31