cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quiet generators

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
With in the next few seasons I will be in the market for a generator. I have heard Hondas running and they are notoriously quiet. My local RV shop has Hyundais and they claim they are just as quiet, but are cheaper.

Anyone have them? What are they like? Should I get a Honda instead?
47 REPLIES 47

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:
I am up in Canada, where we get temperatures up to 100F. I plan to run the A/C and possibly a TV with satellite hookups.
In short, my 12V cord is rated for 30 amps, and want a generator that can run that.
In that case I recommend the Hondas to utilize an extended run fuel tank.
Not sure any others do this.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
With in the next few seasons I will be in the market for a generator. I have heard Hondas running and they are notoriously quiet. My local RV shop has Hyundais and they claim they are just as quiet, but are cheaper.

What do you expect to run? Microwave? tv? charge the battery? air conditioning?

I am up in Canada, where we get temperatures up to 100F. I plan to run the A/C and possibly a TV with satellite hookups.
In short, my 12V cord is rated for 30 amps, and want a generator that can run that.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

AND, . . . . WHERE do you expect to run it. Running your A/C on a Honda EU2200 while fishing at an alpine lake in the Rockies (ie 8000 feet MSL) and 85 degrees F is A LOT different than running it in Florida (sea level) at Talladega Nights watching Ricky Bobby race. Maybe it will work at one location, but, it probably won't work (reliably) at the other. I'll let you figure out which one.

Chum lee

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I think even the Honda is a Chinese engine now. Some Buicks are Chinese now too. Generator tech is pretty mature.

I believe that the Honda 2200 generators are manufactured in Thailand. Perhaps the engines come from China, Honda has a plant there.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not on topic really, but anyway---where is the connection for running these dual fuel jobs on propane? Can't figure it out from the photos here.

http://pulsar-products.com/products/pg2200bis/?portfolioCats=30%2C31%2C54%2C32%2C33%2C62%2C34%2C57%2...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Mako1949 wrote:
Am also looking for a portable generator. How about https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-p4500i-inverter-portable-generator
But engine is also a Chinese one

That's a Chinese made clone generator. That same generator is made for a number of different brand names. Same generator but different colors and different brand names.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think even the Honda is a Chinese engine now. Some Buicks are Chinese now too. Generator tech is pretty mature.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Mako1949
Explorer
Explorer
Am also looking for a portable generator. How about https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-p4500i-inverter-portable-generator
But engine is also a Chinese one

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
I just purchased a duromax 2200 Generator from lowes for under 600.00

https://www.duromaxpower.com/products/duromax-xp2200eh-2200-watt-dual-fuel-digital-inverter-hybrid-p...

Only have run it on propane so far but it seems quiet and runs really well. I have not tried to see if it will fire up the A/c Unit on my TT but I am happy with the purchase...

I can buy two of these for the price of one Honda and do not have to purchase a separate LPG kit.

At 61db, it's not as quiet as some more popular inverter generators that our in the same power range.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Hnnnnnn, I wonder how many folks would know he difference if you put a Honda decal on a Predator. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would.

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Firman generator - also sold under the E-Trailer name in the US.

They're sold here in Canada by Costco and are a little bit more popular it seems here.

Relatively quiet, well made and dirt cheap. Oh, and it works super well, starts and purrs like a kitten.

For example, right now they have a Dual Fuel (LPG and Gas) model, 3200/2900 for $799 CAD or $600 USD. Incredible value if you ask me.

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com/shop/wh02942-3200-2900-watt-dual-fuel-inverter-portable-generator/

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
The little Honeywell gens are the same way. The name was licensed and that's the only thing about them that's Honeywell.
The co. I worked for bought Honeywell some years ago and has been trying to wring a profit out of their (once) good name ever since.

X2!

Many name brands we grew up with are no longer real MANUFACTURING companies.

Remember home electronics like Sylvania, Philco, RCA, Zenith?

Yeah, those are just a couple of examples of the use of "branding" to sell rebadged items, Zenith was the LAST holdout that actually made their own products but they eventually succumbed to manufacturing cost pressures and farmed it out..

Many top store brands like Sears would farm out the manufacturing of their name badge products.. Sears VCRS, Hitachi made them, TVs made by Sanyo, Kenmore appliances made by Whirlpool, Tires made by Michalen.. Sears tractors and lawn equipment built by MTD..

Monti Wards did the same as well and on and on..

Brands pretty much now days means NOTHING so don't get so hung up on it, very few brands exist now days that design, manufacture, sell and service their products.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The little Honeywell gens are the same way. The name was licensed and that's the only thing about them that's Honeywell.
The co. I worked for bought Honeywell some years ago and has been trying to wring a profit out of their (once) good name ever since.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's another Chinese generic generator manufacturer:

http://en.xingyue.com/Generator.html

Some brands are Earthquake, Porta Source, Dirty Hand Tools, Homegear, Buffalo Tools, Sportsman..
2009 Fleetwood Icon