cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Issues? Heat/Water/Stove/Refrig Possible Cause

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Appliances worked last week and not this week?
With the current cold snap it is a good time to remind everyone that propane boils around minus 42 degrees and will continue to work during this time of need. If however you last filled your propane tank further south (close to the border as many snowbirds do/did), it is possible that your fill may have had butane mixed in. Butane remains a liquid below freezing, ie 32F, and will not work until the temp rises again.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.
4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
George Goble famously used liquid oxygen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPxDOEdsX8
-- Chris Bryant

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
In the Sierras I remember having a sub-zero F barbecue. Charcoal. I inverted an old-style pot and dribbled butane all over the briquettes and set them alight. The liquid was pure butane from Mexico.

As a hee-hee in Mexico I played seenyore smart aleck and saturated a pile of briquettes with O2 from an oxygen concentrator set way up to 5.0. Fifteen minutes with the feed tube buried in the huge pyramid of briquettes. Ever see 3 lbs of briquettes be ready to barbecue in 15-seconds? Ever see a smartass all smeared with burn ointment?

Unfortunately, that was probably BEFORE YouTube.....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
In the Sierras I remember having a sub-zero F barbecue. Charcoal. I inverted an old-style pot and dribbled butane all over the briquettes and set them alight. The liquid was pure butane from Mexico.

As a hee-hee in Mexico I played seenyore smart aleck and saturated a pile of briquettes with O2 from an oxygen concentrator set way up to 5.0. Fifteen minutes with the feed tube buried in the huge pyramid of briquettes. Ever see 3 lbs of briquettes be ready to barbecue in 15-seconds? Ever see a smartass all smeared with burn ointment?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for posting that. You would be surprised at how many times I have had to point that out to folks.

Alas, I last filled my tank in Townsend, GA, (A couple weeks ago) they were expecting below freezing temps though and folks heat with propane here (off the same truck that filled me) so i would hope it really is propane. that said, I heat with park supplied electricity.

Last night (28) even my hose lit up (Rope lights duct taped to it keep it warm when the thermostat says "TOO COLD")
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times