cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane campstove

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Our propane campstove has lots of warnings about not using it in an enclosed space, like an RV or a home.

Why would a propane campstove produce more CO than a propane RV stove? Or, for that matter, a propane stove at home?

Our home electric range needs repair, and we are trying to figure out our options in the meantime. Cooking in the RV is one of them, but thatโ€™s a lot of walking in and out.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
13 REPLIES 13

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Hereโ€™s what weโ€™ve decided to do: We have a 1 burner induction electric cooktop. When we need a second burner, we will use our Coleman 2 burner campstove.

We will keep the window open, and move our propane/CO monitor into the kitchen. Seems safe enough.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The simple reason is, if trying to HEAT, IT USES UP THE AVAILBLE AIR/OXYGEN IN THE RV. ALL the other LP appliances are outside and are vented and take in outside air. The OTHER 2nd reason is, some People are IDIOTS and they have to put a disclaimer in to prevent lawsuits. If you turn 3 burners AND the Oven if equipped with an Oven you are looking at 20,000 to 30,000 BTU's of heat consuming interior Air/oxygen. Doug

PS, IMO, the OP wants to temp use in his stick house to cook, not heat. There should be more than enough extra air in a house to overcome any CO/Monoxide.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open a window. Don't sleep with it on.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
For years I used a natural gas oven with 4 stove top burners in my kitchen without an outdoor vent. Mom and dad used one for over 40 years cooking meals for me and my brother then just themselves after my brother and I moved out when we became adults. There was never any range hood to vent outdoors.

I see no difference using a 2 burner camp stove in the house kitchen until the electric range is repaired. If you are really concerned you could get a Kidde brand carbon monoxide detector. They are available in battery powered as well as an AC plug in the wall model that has a 9 volt backup battery.

I have one of each. I currently have an electric stove and use natural gas for heating the house. I have a plug in the wall model CO detector in the living room next to where the hall begins leading to the bedrooms. I also have a battery only model in the master bedroom at the end of the hall.

I loaned a 2300 watt generator, a Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove and a few other camping items to a family friend to use when she was without power for 2 weeks after hurricane Isabel came through here in 2003. She is still alive.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Why would a propane campstove produce more CO than a propane RV stove? Or, for that matter, a propane stove at home?"

For a similar sized burner, it won't. The problem is that over time the burners get plugged with debris so they aren't in proper adjustment. That's when the carbon monoxide can rise to unsafe levels.

Your campstove manufacturer has deep pockets and must protect themselves legally (financially) in the event of a lawsuit. It is designed to be used outside, hence the name "CAMPSTOVE." They placard the appliance that way and warn the users several times NOT to use the stove inside and not without adequate ventilation. That said, eventually someone decides to use it as a heat source or for cooking INSIDE. For example, in a tent when inclement weather is present. They end up seriously burning or killing themselves and then they try to blame the manufacturer for a defective product. It happens all the time. Hopefully not to you, IF you follow the warnings/directions.

Chum lee

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
They probably don't want folks bringing in bottles/ tanks with rubber hoses to an enclosed space.

This ^^^^^

It's not the venting, or the CO2, it's the potential danger of having the gas bottle in an enclosed space with the flame.

A LONG time ago, the first house I rented all on my own, in my bachelor days, the house did not come with a stove. I ended up purchasing a household style gas stove, oven and put it in. I used a 20 pound propane tank that my parents had from their camper they weren't using any more. I was informed to not put the bottle inside the hosue if I were going to use it. I ended up getting a rubber hose for gas lines and fed it through the wall in an existing hole and tapped into the 20 pound bottle.

However, at home, when we've had power failures, I have brought our Coleman Campstove into the kitchen and used it there, connected to the 1 pound green Coleman gas bottles. I did not blow the house up.

Do as you want, just be aware, and maybe ... vent the kitchen real good.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Few years back we had a 100 year ice storm. Tore down power lines and roads closed everywhere because of down lines and trees. We were out of electricity for 9 days couldnโ€™t even travel anywhere for the first 3 till they got the roads passable. Cooked every meal perk every pot of coffee on a Coleman 2 burner propane stove and used my 3 Aladdin lamps for lighting. We didnโ€™t have any problem what so ever. When your cooking just stay with it till it done and turn off and disconnect propane when your through. And my lamps were turned off when we went to bed and used candles for night light. I was more worried about the candles than cooking on the stove.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Is the RV stove not working?

OP said they didnโ€™t want to walk in and out to get to it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
They do it for numerous reasons the following is not the least significant...

"If you could label your stove "Not suitable for use in interior spaces" we could lower your product liability annual fee by $_____.__

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
They probably don't want folks bringing in bottles/ tanks with rubber hoses to an enclosed space.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
It does not produce more CO than a comparable size burner. The burners on your RV stove are under the vent hood and you are SUPPOSED to unlock the flapper and turn on the fan before lighting the stove or oven. Thus making it a ventelates space.. Same for the grill at your local fast burger joint. It's under a hood. that's why.

Not all RV hoods vent to the outside. Not all RVs have hoods over their stoves, for that matter, though the majority do.

Partly the warning is to stave off lawsuits. Another part of the warning may be that the camp stove itself may get hot enough to be dangerous for indoor use. Perhaps, too, the regulations or standards for gas appliances used indoors are more stringent than those for outdoor camping ones, and the camp stove hasn't been tested to the indoor versions (whether it could meet them or not).

Electric hotplates are not at all expensive and probably would be a safer alternative for temporary use, as well as being handy in their own right once every now and again.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It does not produce more CO than a comparable size burner. The burners on your RV stove are under the vent hood and you are SUPPOSED to unlock the flapper and turn on the fan before lighting the stove or oven. Thus making it a ventelates space.. Same for the grill at your local fast burger joint. It's under a hood. that's why.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times