cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Predator gennys?

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone bought these gennys? Looking at 2 2000 watt units to power a/c when boondocking.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS
33 REPLIES 33

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
joshuajim wrote:
I donโ€™t understand the issue with heavy generators. I just load it into the bucket on the tractor and put it in the truck

:S

I know, right?
Hard to believe everyone doesnโ€™t just use their bucket tractor to load themโ€ฆ..
(I predict someone will miss the sarcasmโ€ฆ.so figured Iโ€™d give those of you who are super literal in your comprehension a heads up)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t understand the issue with heavy generators. I just load it into the bucket on the tractor and put it in the truck

:S
RVing since 1995.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol, generator argumentsโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Already provided an example if you bothered to read.

One doesnโ€™t equal example(s). Most of us can find one case of almost anything.

Very True, just like your anecdote (which you never actually provided) of off brands failing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:

One doesnโ€™t equal example(s). Most of us can find one case of almost anything. In any case, still not a Predator.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
reminds me of the hype with fine precision German cars. At one time there was a grain of truth but other companies have long since caught up.

Most German cars are not durable any more. When they added the electronics, they turned into very expensive vehicles to maintain.

I donโ€™t think that is the case for Honda and Yamaha generators, but feel free to post all of the negatives. Good luck finding the negatives though. Iโ€™ll wait.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
reminds me of the hype with fine precision German cars. At one time there was a grain of truth but other companies have long since caught up.

Most German cars are not durable any more. When they added the electronics, they turned into very expensive vehicles to maintain.

I donโ€™t think that is the case for Honda and Yamaha generators, but feel free to post all of the negatives. Good luck finding the negatives though. Iโ€™ll wait.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
...don't buy the myth that "red" or "blue" are immune to problems.

Sure, you can believe itโ€™s a myth from all of the people who buy Hondas and Yamahas with no issues. The rest of us think there might be something to the anecdotes. As always, YMMV.

Anecdotes are just that. Most of the hype comes from guys with 10-15yr old generators....surprise, no one else had inverter generators that far back, so of course they can "prove" they last longer.

Not saying they are poor quality, just very expensive... reminds me of the hype with fine precision German cars. At one time there was a grain of truth but other companies have long since caught up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
...don't buy the myth that "red" or "blue" are immune to problems.

Sure, you can believe itโ€™s a myth from all of the people who buy Hondas and Yamahas with no issues. The rest of us think there might be something to the anecdotes. As always, YMMV.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
jimh406 wrote:
Based on what I've seen on YouTube, buy the extended warranty. That being said, I don't have a standalone generator. Also, they are a bit louder than a Honda or Yamaha, but they do cost A HECK OF A LOT less.

Fixed that for you.

We went with a Champion 4500w to replace our Yamaha 2400w. Even though it's not the fancy name, it's actually quieter because the smaller 2400w unit was running at about 3/4 throttle with the air/con running while the 4500w unit is at around 1/4 throttle.

Not really, you seemed to buy a Champion which is not a Predator. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fwiw, I haven't run across Champions with issues, but that's not the same as saying they don't have them.

Pick a brand...once you get past Honda & Yamaha, they are ALL A HECK OF A LOT CHEAPER. Generally at least half the cost and the modern knock offs are generally pretty good machines. Most of the complaints you see on youtube are from honda aficionados trying to justify the high prices.

We bought he Yamaha because at the time it was Honda or Yamaha if you wanted inverter. We got rid of it because it had issues. First shop couldn't fix it. Tried a second shop and with the cost of parts it was cheaper to buy the new Champion which was larger and had more features (both were yamaha affiliated)...don't buy the myth that "red" or "blue" are immune to problems.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
jimh406 wrote:
Based on what I've seen on YouTube, buy the extended warranty. That being said, I don't have a standalone generator. Also, they are a bit louder than a Honda or Yamaha, but they do cost A HECK OF A LOT less.

Fixed that for you.

We went with a Champion 4500w to replace our Yamaha 2400w. Even though it's not the fancy name, it's actually quieter because the smaller 2400w unit was running at about 3/4 throttle with the air/con running while the 4500w unit is at around 1/4 throttle.

Not really, you seemed to buy a Champion which is not a Predator. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fwiw, I haven't run across Champions with issues, but that's not the same as saying they don't have them.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
You do realize eco mode is like eco boost? Itโ€™s only eco until you need the power.

Yes, I do. It works great any time you need less than full power output, which is the case when running A/C. It only needs to start then the running power is much lower. On eco mode the generator slows back down to a moderate speed making it quieter and use less fuel.

Basically, I've never (continuously) needed all of the power so pretty much always benefit from eco mode.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
My SIL used Predator 3500 for a several years, just sold it for $400 and had several people wanting it at that price. He used it at a primitive camp and shared the power with a friendโ€™s camper. With proper location, you could forget it was running. He had a toy hauler at the time so he could run it up the ramp, if desired, for hauling. Heโ€™s a big guy and had no trouble lifting it into the truck. Me, forget it. 105# & bulky, IIRC.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,