Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 5500 Marquis Gold Fuel Pump location

DavidM49
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

My genset will not start or fire at all. I changed the oil last month and it started fine. Went to run it last night and it would not start. Not sure I am getting fuel. Will do some more diagnostics tonight like pull fuel line to carb to ensure I am getting fuel. All that being said, can anyone help me determine where the actual fuel pump resides. I imagine is is fairly accessable but any advance assistance is appreciated. After reading numerous posts about this genset over the years, it seems like my hunt and surge issue during hotter weather may be related to the fuel pump overheating. It is so frustrating though, used it for 4 days after numerous repairs in the hottest Michigan weather ever last summer, ran like a top. Now it has started hunting and surging again. Thanks for your help!!!
Big Dave
2008 F350 Superduty 6.4 TD "Bumbles"
2007 Raptor 3814
2004 Sportsman 700 EFI
2006 YZ125 with 144 Athena Big Bore kit
2008 YZ 85 Supermini 112 Athena Big Bore Kit
2012 YZ250F
2008 KLX450R (Hulk)
2004 DRZ125 pit bike
2 Boys one speed
8 REPLIES 8

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
OldF**t wrote:
DavidM49 wrote:
I could hear the pump running while trying to prime the carb. It was like a hammer sound more than anything. That being said, I got nothing out of the fuel line when trying to prime the carb.

Well the next step would be pulling the hose off of the pump filter to see if fuel is available from the tank. The tank should be half full or greater as the generator fuel line pickup is not at the bottom of the tank. Also the line to the tank could be bad or have a leak which would cause the pump to suck air instead of fuel.

Yep-- common to have cracks and resultant air leaks in the tank to pump line.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
DavidM49 wrote:
I could hear the pump running while trying to prime the carb. It was like a hammer sound more than anything. That being said, I got nothing out of the fuel line when trying to prime the carb.

Well the next step would be pulling the hose off of the pump filter to see if fuel is available from the tank. The tank should be half full or greater as the generator fuel line pickup is not at the bottom of the tank. Also the line to the tank could be bad or have a leak which would cause the pump to suck air instead of fuel.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

DavidM49
Explorer
Explorer
Big Dave
2007 Raptor 3814
2004 Sportsman 700 EFI
2012 YZ250F
2008 KLX450R (Hulk)
2004 DRZ125 pit bike
2 Boys one speed

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
DavidM49 wrote:
Thanks guys for the the help. Took line off of filter before carb and hit prime and not a drop of fuel came out of the line. Now the challenge is to find the airtex brand pump versus paying premium for the Onan branded pump. Thanks again!

So we can assume that you didn't hear the pump running? Additionally Onan has a straight pipe replacement for the filter on the carb. That carb filter has been troublesome/leak prone for a lot of folks. As long as you are going to replace the pump you might as well get rid of the carb filter, replace the pump filter, and replace the hose to the carb.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

DavidM49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for the the help. Took line off of filter before carb and hit prime and not a drop of fuel came out of the line. Now the challenge is to find the airtex brand pump versus paying premium for the Onan branded pump. Thanks again!
Big Dave
2007 Raptor 3814
2004 Sportsman 700 EFI
2012 YZ250F
2008 KLX450R (Hulk)
2004 DRZ125 pit bike
2 Boys one speed

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
First take the front cover off and find the START/STOP button, lower left corner. Note that the STOP button is also a PRIME button. Press and hold down the PRIME button and you should hear the fuel pump start to click. Let it prime until the clicking stops or at least slows down. While it is clicking locate the sound of the pump and you will find it underneath the left front corner of the gen set, clamped to a rubber fuel hose and will have a filter screwed into the pump.
Priming might also assist you in your hard starting problem.

You need to hold that stop button for a few seconds before the pump starts, there's a time on delay.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
First take the front cover off and find the START/STOP button, lower left corner. Note that the STOP button is also a PRIME button. Press and hold down the PRIME button and you should hear the fuel pump start to click. Let it prime until the clicking stops or at least slows down. While it is clicking locate the sound of the pump and you will find it underneath the left front corner of the gen set, clamped to a rubber fuel hose and will have a filter screwed into the pump.
Priming might also assist you in your hard starting problem.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you are looking at the front of the genny, underneath and a little bit to left of the oil filter. If I remember correctly it is held on by a clamp to the genny base.