cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold N821 not cooling

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
My unit (Norcold N 821) is original equipment (2002) and we spend 5-6 months a year in our 5th wheel.
With coldest setting we are seeing temps in low 40's. Doesn't matter if it is on gas or electric.
I have bypassed the control board and wired the electric element direct and left it over night and it got down to 30.4 with outside temp in mid 60's. I have removed the cover off the roof and there is no blockage.
If I am correct, by bypassing the control board I have eliminated that as the problem?
I am now assuming that it must be the cooling component so then options would be a new refer or replacing the cooling system. Both require pulling the refer out.
We are in a State Park in Oregon and will be here for two weeks so I can order parts and make repairs.
Question is: Is there something else that I could/should check? (am I missing anything?) I should add that the 30.4 is with 2- 1/2 gallon milk bottles of ice in refer over night and I have tried both gas and electric with same results.
A rebuilt cooling unit is $500-$600, a new refer is pushing $2000. I am leaning towards repairing, what are the thoughts of those with more knowledge than myself.
2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES,......running element directly bypasses the circuit board/thermistor/thermostat...all controls

Continuous cooling cycle until you unplug the element
And the 30*F temp indicates that it DID cool down (that 30*F is FOOD Compartment temp right??)

SO you know cooling unit works

Now is circuit bd bad or is thermistor the issue

That is why I suggested with everything back to normal....unpklug the thermistor and run fridge test again...temp setting on 9 (max cool)
Then tomorrow check temps
Low temp.....thermistor is bad
Temps not cold.....bad circuit bd

YEP......Verde Valley area of AZ
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I connected my 641 electric element directly to AC and it was near 0 the next day, but it may have been more than 24 hours, maybe a day and a half.
Joe & Evelyn

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
First off.......
Bypassing the circuit bd and running fridge DIRECTLY on element with a 30.4*F temp MEANS cooling unit IS functioning

Bypassing circuit bd and fridge functioning means circuit bd is problem OR thermistor is bad

Unplug thermistor from circuit bd.....fridge goes in Back Up Operation....TEMP button controls cooling cycles.....1/short cycle 9/longest cycle
Run fridge over night with everything normal except for the unplugged thermistor. Use 9 temp setting

Fridge cold....thermistor is bad
Fridge doesn't stay cold..circuit bd problem

Old Biscuit, glad to see you have responded, you have bailed me out before, when I installed a digital thermostat if you remember. Just a question, I had to travel a few miles today so I put the cover back on the circuit board and put everything back to factory.
Maybe I need to add a little more information before asking my question. We are traveling so the refer is full and the freezer compartment also is full and frozen. I have put two 1/2 gallon jugs of ice in the fridge to help keep temperature down.
I know that the cooling unit is working but it is only cooling slightly.
I am only asking this next question because I don't have this clear in my own mind. Not questioning you, just trying to clarify the issue.
When I bypassed the circuit board by unplugging it, then making a jumper and plugging the AC heater directly into 110..am I not bypassing the thermister and all controls. I had read else where that doing the above should bring the fridge down to its maximum low overnight as there is nothing to stop the cooling process. Is this not the case?
Are you still in Arizona?
2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off.......
Bypassing the circuit bd and running fridge DIRECTLY on element with a 30.4*F temp MEANS cooling unit IS functioning

Bypassing circuit bd and fridge functioning means circuit bd is problem OR thermistor is bad

Unplug thermistor from circuit bd.....fridge goes in Back Up Operation....TEMP button controls cooling cycles.....1/short cycle 9/longest cycle
Run fridge over night with everything normal except for the unplugged thermistor. Use 9 temp setting

Fridge cold....thermistor is bad
Fridge doesn't stay cold..circuit bd problem
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

J_E
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem in FL last year on the same model refrigerator. I found that the switch on the vent fan outside behind the refrigerator had failed. Had a new switch from Amazon in two days and everything is good now.
"03 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison. '03 Jayco 3610 RLTS Designer Legacy 5er, (Actually still running)MOR/ryde IS Suspension,TrailerSaver II Air Ride Hitch.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you gone through the troubleshooting process?

Troubleshooting steps pdf
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.