cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold fridge not cooling

tporter
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Solitude, Grand Design 36' fifth wheel with a Norcold 4 door refrigerator. We are living in the trailer due to being in the middle of moving. Currently I am 1200 miles away from the trailer and have been told that the fridge has quit cooling. It stays between 60-65 degrees on the number 8 setting. It doesn't make a difference if it is running on propane or electric. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem? I have family that can help trouble shoot the problem if I can get an idea on where to start. Thank you for any help that can be provided.
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
garyemunson wrote:
You do not need to pull the fridge to replace the fans. Standing on a ladder you can easily reach in and replace them. We camp a lot in hot weather and I did this....much better and has served us well since installed.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29770712/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

If a 1200 is installed CORRECTLY, you cannot access the fans from the roof top or top access door if in a slide out. if you had access to those 2 fans, then the correct baffling was not installed. Doug

tporter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help. A bad tstat was found. The fridge is back to working by running a jumper around this part. Tomorrow it will be replaced.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
You do not need to pull the fridge to replace the fans. Standing on a ladder you can easily reach in and replace them. We camp a lot in hot weather and I did this....much better and has served us well since installed.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29770712/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If in a slide then the Fans MUST run. If not you will experience what you have POOR cooling. Your RV is 5 to 6 years old and that is about the lifespan of the fans and the fan tstat. Odds are the Fans will run and your Fan tstat is bad. BUT, I would replace BOTH Fans and the Fan Tstat.
Bad news is, the refer has to be pulled to do the 2 fans. You should be able to bypass the fan tstat since you have the upper access door without pulling the refer, and if the fans then come on, try to get a time to pull the refer and replace the fans. Doug

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
About a month ago we had the same problem. Repairman gave me 3 quick checks waiting for him. Unplug the thermistor and turn the refrigerator to 9. If it's not raining, put a small fan at lower vent outside of trailer. Refrigerator needs to be on electric. And last, use a hair dryer on the switch for the fans at the top vent. This will confirm that the fans will come on or not.

Good luck

tporter
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,
The temperature stays between 60-65 degrees.
It is in a slide. Last night someone checked to see if the fans were running. They couldn't confirm if they were running or not and will go back today with a ladder to get high enough to check.
Nothing has fallen down and the 5th wheel is level. We have been living in it since March, everything has worked well.
We don't have any fault codes.

I will also have the temperature sensors checked today.

Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted on what we find out with the fans.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If the fridge is in a slide, check to see if the outside fans are running. The small fan temp sensor on the upper outside fins are known to fail. The two wires on the sensor can be connected together with a clip jumper as a temp fix until you can replace the sensor (fans will run non-stop, though).

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I had a cooling problem with my 4door Norcold a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be the thermistor. That's the thing clipped to the second fin on the ref. If you can get the model number and serial number off the frig any rv parts store can get the part or may even have it. Mine cost $24.00. I was also told the way to find out if its the thermistor is to unplug it from the frig. Behind the light should be a plug in connection unplug (light will go off) and see it frig temp starts to go down. It will take some time for all of this to happen. Good luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can change temp settings then you have DC to fridge

What temp is freezer holding?
Is fridge in a slide out?
Are the external fans operating?
Has any insulation fallen down blocking draft (airflow)?
Is RV level?
ANY FAULT CODES?

Which MODEL is this Norcold?
1200 or 2118 ???
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
do you have 12 volts DC for the control board? it is neede for both propane and A/C operation?
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral