Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Solar Install

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,

a good friend of mine reached out to the folks at camping world.
They gave him a quote for 510watts of panels, some GC batteries (AGM) and controllers etc.

We all agree before you start down the path of any solar install, you need to know what your usage is on a daily basis and size the entire package from there.

What I'm looking for is recommendations as to who you would purchase the panels from - and is competitive in pricing and is a quality product.

We live in Colorado - so if there's someone local - that would be good to know as well - though we have no particular need to purchase them locally (Other than saving on shipping).

Thanks in advance for your experience and recommendations!

Josh
29 REPLIES 29

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
OUTRAGEOUS run don't walk away.

jodeb720 wrote:
Price quoted $6512.00
Freedom 2000w pure sine wave inverter Installed, $1402
Freedom x Control Panel (Bluetooth), installed 248.00
Solar Kit (1 panel, no brand name provided), installed $1253.00
Solar Kit (2 additional panels) $1678.00
4 golf cart batteries, AGM (no brand name), Installed $1931.00

We just went to lunch, a Renology 2000w inverter - amazon priced - 269.00.

this just seems to be outrageous. After a lengthy convo and he has two generators (honda, 2200w) why spend all that money.

I can see the batteries (and Lead Acid, costco 210ah, 6v around 100.00 each, a good battery charger and the inverter = A whole lotta less money... now, he's got a 40' toy hauler and can't really park in places like national/state parks (because of the length) so generator noise or minimal run time isn't an issue...

And most of the time there's nobody close to him anyway so is it really worth it?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You can shop on Amazon and a get a 400W system with MPPT controller for about $700. And then as you seen inverters can be had for a decent price as well as batteries. If you or he does the install your self it shouldnโ€™t be anymore than $2k with wiring for good quality compaonenets.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I got a single 325 watt contractor for 175.Similar deals are available from residual installers because new , slightly higher wattage panels are always out there.
2 of the 36 watt 300-375 watt panels is a simple install.
10-12 ga wiring depending on distance, a 60 amp MPPT controller, and wire to the batteries.
https://www.renogy.com/charge-controllers/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler, was asking about CWโ€™s proposal. What did they spec?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
@Son of Norway - Thanks for the tip! that's a great place to start!! I appreciate the lead.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Price quoted $6512.00
Freedom 2000w pure sine wave inverter Installed, $1402
Freedom x Control Panel (Bluetooth), installed 248.00
Solar Kit (1 panel, no brand name provided), installed $1253.00
Solar Kit (2 additional panels) $1678.00
4 golf cart batteries, AGM (no brand name), Installed $1931.00

We just went to lunch, a Renology 2000w inverter - amazon priced - 269.00.

this just seems to be outrageous. After a lengthy convo and he has two generators (honda, 2200w) why spend all that money.

I can see the batteries (and Lead Acid, costco 210ah, 6v around 100.00 each, a good battery charger and the inverter = A whole lotta less money... now, he's got a 40' toy hauler and can't really park in places like national/state parks (because of the length) so generator noise or minimal run time isn't an issue...

And most of the time there's nobody close to him anyway so is it really worth it?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jdc1,

"Currently not available"

I edited the post to make it a clicky
Admin
RV.net
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-600W-Solar-Power-System/dp/B079QH61YT/ref=sr_1_8?crid=F27S2ODEHCC1&keywords=rv+solar+panel+kit+with+battery+and+inverter&qid=1647032998&sprefix=rv+solar%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-8

One stop shopping

Clicky

Added clicky
Admin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
What wire size from each panel to combiner box? From box to controller? From controller to batteries. 12 volt? 24 volt? To the controller.
Usage determines watts and with configuration, distance, etc wire size can be determined with a wire calculator.

All RVs use 12V batteries except a few that have converted to 24V house batteries.

$/W is more expensive for 12V panels, 24V 60 cell panels are a good cost size tradeoff. 72 cell panels are rather long for a RV roof but may fit.

There are a lot of variables that need to be determined before wire size and power loss can be optimized.

My 3 serial panels have 62' of 10ga wire to the controller for a wiring loss of 0.6%, no combiner. The wires to the 12V battery are sized for 52A.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
This is a follow-up to KD4UPL's comment. I've been purchasing surplus solar panels and AGM batteries from a solar contractor in the Denver area for years. You can find him and see what he has in stock by searching Denver Craigslist for "solar panels" or "AGM". He is retired military so he always has "Go Navy" in his ads. His name is Marion and he is a good person to do business with. I have put together a solar install on my RV for a fraction of what it would cost otherwise by buying from him.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shipping is very expensive due the panel size so check local availability. Used panels are another option.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would avoid Camping World - If heโ€™s moderately capable, and willing to due just a modicum of basic research, I believe heโ€™d be far better off to avoid outsourcing this project to the cut & pasters at CWโ€ฆIf nothing else heโ€™ll gain the ability to ask informed questions - JMO

3 tons

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What wire size from each panel to combiner box? From box to controller? From controller to batteries. 12 volt? 24 volt? To the controller.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Check with a local residential / commercial solar installer. I'd buy 60 cell panels from them. They probably buy them by the pallet or maybe have some left over from a job. Solar panels should cost around 50 to 75 cents per watt.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

And the price quoted was?

What charge controller?

What size is the battery bank?

What type of RV?

Most folks seem to have issues with camping world.
Regards, Don