cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to upgrade brake control

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
New rig is heavier than Cougar 281EFS 5th and my old brake controller is not doing its job!
Checking around for a better brake controller…….any recommendations? Tow vehicle is 2002 F350 Power Stroke Truck towing AF M27-5L about 13,500 lbs loaded.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time
13 REPLIES 13

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Ford dealer is installing the P2 tomorrow and putting on a new trailer plug as the connector at the bumper is too sloppy. Thanks for all your inputs!
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI wrote:
Comments are triggering some brain cells to fire…….good! I did put a Tek P3 in shopping cart, but will also check with Ford dealer to see what they recommend.

Good choice. The P3's a good proportional controller.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
GON2SKI wrote:
current brake controller is Draw Tite Activator giving no stopping power even set on max.

If it is a Draw Tite Activator, and NOT an Activator II. It is time based. Meaning it does pretty much nothing when you hit the brakes. It has to ramp up. They usually apply full braking power soon after the accident.

Ditch it. Get a enertia, proportional brake controller. They apply brakes as soon as you brake, with the same power you are using in the TV. Prodigy is one of the best.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GON2SKI wrote:
current brake controller is Draw Tite Activator giving no stopping power even set on max.

Per Drawtite manual, you have a TIME BASED controller.

Drawtite Activator manual

HERE

However the usage of the manual lever bypasses the time based portion and should allow for full output at max setting.

With that said, you need to do a few “checks” to make sure the brakes on the TRAILER are working as they should..

First is to make sure the trailer brakes are working, with the trailer disconnected pull the breakaway switch plunger out (make sure trailer battery is fully charged).

Please note, failure to disconnect the trailer from the vehicle MAY result in damage to your brake controller when pulling the breakaway pin.

Then pull forward.

The wheels SHOULD LOCK and you should be able to DRAG all four wheels.

If the wheels do not lock then you have a problem on the trailer side (IE incorrectly adjusted brakes, poor wiring, grease on brakes or drums, brakes not burnished in).

If brakes lock and you can drag all four wheels then the trailer side is OK and you need to troubleshoot the truck side (bad wiring, bad brake controller, ect).

If trailer side passes, try bypassing the controller (disconnect controller, locate the trailer brake and 12V hot wires on the truck wiring harness). Using a jumper from the 12V hot to the trailer brake wire. Then connect the trailer and try pulling forward. The trailer brakes should lock up and you should be able to drag all four wheels (like the breakaway test).

If wheels lock then your brake controller output is bad, replace with a new or known good controller.

If wheels do not lock or are weak then you have a wiring issue on your vehicle (IE corroded or damaged wire).

Ultimately you have a heavy trailer and there is a real good chance that the wiring on the trailer is TOO LIGHT from the factory. Many trailer manufacturers use the “recommended” MINIMUM WIRE GA which is 14Ga. While 14Ga is within the CURRENT carrying specs it wastes a lot of the 12V due to resistance.

Each magnet should draw about 3A at 12V but due to typical wiring using 14Ga wire you effectively lose 20%-30% of your brakes POTENTIAL stopping power (you are only getting 70%-80% of the potential braking power).

Your Drawtite as well as pretty much all controllers now days uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) on the brake output, this makes it difficult to get a accurate DC voltage reading on the output. For that reason it is easier to measure the current flowing using an ammeter. The exception to this is if you pull the breakaway cable which will apply 12V DC to the brake magnets.

Some folks who have moved to a heavier trailer have changed the drums to disc brakes (electric over hydraulic) which eliminates the weak brakes, but it is a very costly upgrade. A good chance if they had swapped out the 14ga wire for 10ga or heavier they would not have needed to change to disc brakes.

I would highly recommend you consider upgrading your trailer side wiring to at least 10Ga or better, with that you will easily get 98%-99% of your brake capacity. In your case since you have a time based controller moving to a inertial controller will result in a much smoother operation.

A P2/P3 should give better CONTROL than the Drawtite you have but for best braking you need to ensure the WIRING is up to the task.

I do not think you will be able to install a Ford IBC in your vehicle (Can’t remember exact year Ford offered IBC as an option but I think it was somewhere around 2004/2005, any years before that will not work for sure) but you CAN get an aftermarket controller which connects to your vehicle through the OBDII connection. It is more expensive than a P2/P3 but it uses the diagnostic port to get real world input on your vehicles brakes!

DirecLink

HERE

$350 at HERE

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
I used my PRODIGY II for years until I got my new 2010 Ford truck which had the brake controller built-in.

The FORD BUILT-IN model is totally connected to the FORD Computers and other truck systems and does one thing I hate and makes wish I still was using my PRODIGY.

The FORD Series brake controller are designed not to work with the BRAKE PEDAL when you are under 10MPH speed.

This bothers me when sitting at a stop sign as I would sometimes like to have the trailer brakes engaged especially if I am stopped on a incline.

I have to use the MANUAL SLIDER BAR to keep my trailer brakes active in the situation...

Roy Ken

Not sure your statement is anywhere 100% correct for ALL Ford IBCs.

Sometime I will have to connect an ammeter to my 2013 F250.. I see a lot of folks posting a lot of crazy stuff about the Ford IBC.

I can tell you this, my 2013 has an BAR GRAPH INDICATOR screen that I can view when my trailer is connected.

The bar graph goes from no bar to full bars smoothly as I vary the pressure on the brake pedal. I HAVE done this WHILE I WAS PARKED (engine on and running AND gear shift is in PARK) and as well as while I am driving and braking.

Folks like to spout a lot of stuff you did and one of my favorites is the Ford IBC uses a "prodigy" controller built in.

The fact that my IBC display has a fully proportional bar graph display leads me to believe that the Ford IBC (at least 2011 and up) IS NOT using any Intertial type of controller and is most likely READING the pressure on the MC..

If what you say is happening I would be noticing the old bump and bang that a time based controller gives. Could not be farther from the truth, I CAN NOT TELL any difference between my Ford IBC and my older truck which has a Jordan Ultima 2020 (which is THE "Gold Standard" for brake control smoothness).

I avoided the IBCs for years in order to allow the designers to work out the bugs. Early IBCs did have a few issues like not operating under 10 MPH but really, the brakes on my 2013 F250 are extremely aggressive and even if the controller was not doing anything under 10 MPH my truck should have no problem stopping a lot more weight than the vehicle at 10 MPH or less.

As far as the OP, unless your existing controller is malfunctioning or it is time based don't waste time or money. A new controller WILL NOT INCREASE your braking power.

Perhaps you should post make and model of your controller and the symptoms you are having?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
I used my PRODIGY II for years until I got my new 2010 Ford truck which had the brake controller built-in.

The FORD BUILT-IN model is totally connected to the FORD Computers and other truck systems and does one thing I hate and makes wish I still was using my PRODIGY.

The FORD Series brake controller are designed not to work with the BRAKE PEDAL when you are under 10MPH speed.

This bothers me when sitting at a stop sign as I would sometimes like to have the trailer brakes engaged especially if I am stopped on a incline.

I have to use the MANUAL SLIDER BAR to keep my trailer brakes active in the situation...

Roy Ken

You should know. the Prodigy turns the brakes loose when you are stopped as well. The Prodigy works on enertia, and are applied thru a accelerometer. If the TV isn't slowing down. The brakes aren't on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Comments are triggering some brain cells to fire…….good! I did put a Tek P3 in shopping cart, but will also check with Ford dealer to see what they recommend.
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

The braking power is reduced at slow speeds and stopped. There is no need for full power and having magnets pulling full amps while stopped will only cause them to heat up.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prodigy 3 or 4
I use a prodigy 3
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the Prodigy if the vehicle doesn't have a factory controller.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The Prodigy line from Tekonsha has a big following. I have a 10 year old Prodigy that still works great.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"