cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal Structure on RV's Rear: What Is Its Purpose?

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! I've noticed a strange metal construction attached to the rear of my trailer and I'm struggling to figure out its purpose. Could it possibly be a bike rack? If so, how do I use it? Any insights or tips from those who are familiar with such a structure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://postimg.cc/c6cRm2HT

Mod Edit: Added url width statement to avoid forum being skewed by the photo side.
12 REPLIES 12

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
WRONG!! It’s a mount for an off-grid thermionic generator!!…Can also be used to charge EV’s!

3 tons

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a BBQ mount that someone added a poorly welded strap thing to. If you didn't get the "Flame king" (yes, actual name) BBQ then it's scrap.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner had to have welded that. Even China wouldn’t do that. Lol

neu
Explorer
Explorer
LOL
Thanks, everybody! I am on my way to unmount it 😄

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
that is desigbned to unfold out past the side and support... Something

What. I have not a clue
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I could do better welds with buzz box welder in my garage. That is what I based the "home made" on. Who knew.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
As cheesey as it looks, that's a commercially available BBQ mount. Just another example of the quality of RV products. The grille sold with that mount was of the same quality, and typically rusted apart in short order.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
not home mad, that looks exactly the same as some we saw on rv's at the dealer, but there is a modification with that strap on top that looks like a custom fit for their own BBQ instead of the crappy ones that come with the rv.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree, a home made BBQ holder.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I also believe its for a BBQ grill. As for how to use it have no idea. I do believe its needs a certain grill for it to work.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I want to say this is for a BBQ mount that swings out and away from the RV.
I remember seeing these a few years ago.

You pull the pin, and the entire assembly swings away from the RV - so the heat won't distort the back of the RV.

When it's cool, you swing it back and replace the pin.

I could be wrong...

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks to me like someone was practicing welding and were just getting started.

It’s too light weight for a bike rack. I’m not sure what else would need to be attached and swing out/behind the trailer. Maybe a BBQ?