cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mercedes ditching diesels in North America

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a blurb about this. Is this meaning that Sprinters will be made with gasoline engines, or pulled out of the market completely?
60 REPLIES 60

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And some of you believe I exaggerate about California's laws. You know the state that just raised state gasoline per gallon tax.

The Central Committee agrees with with venerable chairman Brown...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) โ€” California is moving closer to charging drivers for every mile they drive.

The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isnโ€™t bringing in enough revenue.

The state recently road-tested a mileage monitoring plan.

The California Road Charge Pilot Program is billed as a way for the state to move from its longstanding pump tax to a system where drivers pay based on their mileage.

But itโ€™s not just a question about money, itโ€™s also a question about fairness.

State Senator Scott Wiener and others are saying that when it comes to road taxes, itโ€™s time to start looking at charging you by the mile rather than by the gallon.

โ€œIf you own an older vehicle that is fueled by gas, youโ€™re paying gas tax to maintain the roads. Someone who has an electric vehicle or a dramatically more fuel efficient vehicle is paying much less than you are. But they are still using the roads,โ€ Wiener said.

โ€œPeople are going to use less and less gas in the long run,โ€ according to Wiener.

And less gas means less gas tax, and less money for road repair.

โ€œWe want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,โ€ Wiener said.

One idea would be installing devices that would clock your mileage every time you pull up to the pump or electric car charging station. Or put a tracker on every car.

โ€œThe reality is that if you have a smartphone your data of where you are traveling is already in existence,โ€ Wiener said.

None of this is sitting well with drivers such as Joshua Li, the owner of a hybrid BMW.

Li said he saves around $200 a month by not using gas and said he would definitely not be happy if his driving was taxed per mile.

Randy Rentschler, of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said one answer is to raise the gas tax and up the vehicle registration fee for electric cars.

โ€œIf you buy a small car that gets great fuel economy, we donโ€™t get enough money to repair the roads โ€ฆ but the fact of the matter is people are buying trucks,โ€ Rentschler said.

However, raising vehicle registration fees and taxing people with fuel-efficient, hybrid or electric vehicles could also discourage people from purchasing such vehicles.

Fuel-efficient, hybrid and electric vehicles are key to reducing vehicle emissions and improving air quality around the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They intend to limit energy by taxing the snot out of driving. Less road maintenance. More money for the Politburo. Electric car? Doesn't matter. Taxes matter. Say GOOD BYE to recreational vehicles as you know them. They will ABSOLUTELY change to money per mile against GVW. Bank on it.

Edit Edit Edit

The new tax alone is bringing in ONE MILLION FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS A DAY EVERY DAY "and it 'isn't enough'"

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Having driven an electric car for 6 years now and just recently added solar panels to my house to charge it for free, I guarantee you internal combustion engines are dead men walking. Even worse, self driving cars are going to take us right out of the drivers seat!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Probably has more to do with meeting ever more stringent emissions than anything else.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Fartdiapers for cattle, banning barbecue fluid, and battery chargers is a hell of a lot "deeper than my end". Mexicowanderer is laughing when attempting but failing to post stuff even more bizarre and wacko than that lunacy.

Laugh on -- wait and see how close to the Funny Farm life actually gets in the next 20-30 years. Failed lawyers who dress up as engineers and scientists isn't really a laugh. Because you, not me, is going to pay for it.

When drug companies get purchased and drugs that have been on the market for twenty years see seven hundred to a thousand percent hikes appear.........

Now, do you think the same mentality is not got to apply when ten thousand new regulations rule your life? This is the new morality -- the new ethics...

How can I take the last breath of my life and not smirk?

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they are conceding they can't compete with FCA and Ford.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicowanderer has gone off the deep end.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Phfttttttttt! I have LESS than 10-years left.

YOUR INCOME TAX IS GOING UP! WAY! WAY! WAY! UP!

Oh please, tell us why...?

Asphalt costs $8,000 dollars a ton.
Oh look! It's the pot hole repair crew! Twenty men to lay concrete, and erect signs to allow two weeks for a FOUR FOOT hole to cure. Wait! We can't do it until the rainy season stops!

Whaddya mean asphalt roofing for my garage costs $32,000...?

A loaf of bread costs Thirteen Dollars (!) (?)
A battery powered John Deere combine cost eight hundred thousand dollars, or then there are diesel units, but 95% Bio diesel costs ninety dollars a gallon.

Doesn't matter...I won't be around to see the insane asylum in full tilt...

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, the internal combustion engine only has around 10 years left- battery breakthroughs will mean greater range and fast charging- like the latest patent Fisker filed, 500 mile range, recharge in a few minutes.
Always keep in mind electric motors generate full torque at stall.
-- Chris Bryant

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Lots of kudos for the great diesel, you guys breathing too much of your own exhaust.

From a week long visit to Rome I recall several light colored articles of clothing ruined by diesel soot. I recall regularly wash hands and face, seeing black particulate in the water. How about heavy coughing every morning with black phlegm in the tissue.

Europeans can keep their filthy diesels. There's no such thing as clean coal or clean diesel.

I was glad to read that VW is pushing to end diesel subsidy in the EU. Time to focus on electric.

Take you hypocrite pill today?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of kudos for the great diesel, you guys breathing too much of your own exhaust.

From a week long visit to Rome I recall several light colored articles of clothing ruined by diesel soot. I recall regularly wash hands and face, seeing black particulate in the water. How about heavy coughing every morning with black phlegm in the tissue.

Europeans can keep their filthy diesels. There's no such thing as clean coal or clean diesel.

I was glad to read that VW is pushing to end diesel subsidy in the EU. Time to focus on electric.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps it was time to consolidate vulnerability. Bosch injector pumps are different when examining autos versus trucks.

Chairman Brown's proclamation has resonated deep within the motor vehicle industry. As California goes, so goes the nation. Interesting. A few friends have reported they rented small diesel cars in Europe -- like Fiat and Mercedes that managed to squeeze sixty miles per gallon out of ULSD.

I won't see ten dollar a gallon petroleum fuel for generators but a lot of you younger folks, will.

Glad I was around for the Heyday of motor vehicles. You know, when the new 2018 model pusher Winnebago, was not crowned top dog for "Designer Collection interior" and bragging "It's like a rolling Park Avenue penthouse".

Halter and bit, saddle blanket, saddle, kick horse in belly then re-cinch belly strap, tie gear and grub to rear of saddle, mount up and give 'er a twitch of the boot heel to "make 'er go". Too hot? Ride faster and under trees? Too cold? Slip on a jacket? Rain? Get under a tree. Mattress? Cut pine boughs. Lights? Stove? Start gathering kindling. Alarm system? Audible whinny. Just a little true greenery in a thoroughly brown environment.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
That would be a huge mistake for them. People's ignorance of modern diesel in this country is amazing.

I wonder if part of it are people still stuck in the 1980s, remembering the old Mercedes Turbo Diesel cars which had horri-bad exhaust, where people would zoom around those in the breakdown lane just to pass those stink bombs.

I have seen people gripe about Sprinters only being warrantied for B5, but B20 is a de facto standard. However, other diesel vehicle makers have engineered around it. Even the older T1N I5 can handle B20 without issue.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
That would be a huge mistake for them. People's ignorance of modern diesel in this country is amazing.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If the EPA would pull there head out, we would see more diesel powered vehicles like Europe.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The Volkswagen fiasco killed the diesel market in the US as far as cars go.
Light trucks with diesels will continue to sell because of the power and fuel economy.