cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magic Chef Stove Burner repair or replace?

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Have an older ('98) Magic Chef Stove and the front "high speed" burner just started creating a flame from the bottom up where it shouldn't be (where red arrows point in picture).

I removed the burner and some rust flakes fell out when I turned it upside down and shook.

What is going on here exactly? It seems the propane is leaking from the bottom and creating a flame where it shouldn't.

Can it be repaired? The closest part I found is in Canada is used and costs over 50 shipped.

21 REPLIES 21

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I read everybody's posts and it just seems to me that you possibly have an obstruction in your orifice or in the burner itself. I would pull the burner and then see if the orifice on the feed tube can be unscrewed with a tiny wrench. If so pull it out and see if you can see sunlight through the tiny hole in the middle. If you have compressed air try to blow the orifice out.

If the stove orifice's are removable then try swapping the burner and the burners matching orifice from a working position and put them in the failed burner position.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say repair or replace. Easy to do in either case (Replace is likely the better option) and not all that expensive.
Though I got a lot of "no longer available" when I searched for one.
I did NOT check Camping world.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I think I'll definitely be looking for s
A replacement part if I can find one! Thank you

Explorer II
Explorer II
Missionstreet wrote:
How hot does that crimped area where it is rusted reach?

I finally found some time to get back to this.

My probe measured an ice bath to be 36f and boiling water was 214f. Close enough.

I placed the probe at the base of my camper Suburban stove front burner. I do not know its btu

Having a pot of boiling water over the probe, the burner reached 575f

The next one surprised me. After I removed the boiling pot, I reduced the flame to see what the burner base temp would drop to. Surprisingly, It increased to 690f. I can only guess it wasn't creating enough updraft under it and/or the actual flame is closer to the burner.

Again, this is my Suburban stove. Your temps may, and probably will differ.

I hope this helps someone
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought about that.

I'm going to use my camper stove to boil water while measuring temps when I have time. I'll also measure an ice bath and boiling water to validate my probe.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of clear air above the burners in those pictures. Try putting a big pot on, blocking the heat.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Give them a call or an email.
Salvage RV yard
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I measured my house propane burner, touching an uncalibrated type K TC to the burner housing under the flame. It peaked at 246F.

Keep in mind this is my burner and the meter is uncalibrated, but this will give you a ballpark answer. Even a 10% error would be less than 300F.

300F falls way short of 3500F.

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
It also seems to be coming (the flame) out of those small holes where the flash tube (another rusted component I can't find) connects.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I left that piece of paper under the burner for over a minute and it didn't even get warm. Try it

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I didn't consider all these truths.

Propane is heavy and sinks right? I guess I'm lucky it decided to ignite before it accumulated beneath the stove. How hot does that crimped area where it is rusted reach?

Does the blower exhaust fan running provide any safety for a situation like this?

Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
2112 wrote:
JB Weld is good to 500ยฐF

It wouldn't hurt to buff it down, seal it with JB Weld Metal and hit it with some high heat silver spray paint.

What ya got to lose? You'll know in 10 seconds if that solved your problem

:R

Your life?

:E

Propane Flame Tempurature

"In complete combustion with a blue-colored flame, the temperature of a propane flame is 3,596ยฐ F"

Everything right around that flame will easily exceed 500 F..

Propane appliances are not the place to be cheap or experiment with..

All it takes is a slight leak of unlit propane to sink into the stove and build up until it reaches the lit burner and you and your camper may no longer be in one piece.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for DIYing things but there are somethings best not done on the cheap or hillbilly style.
And at least 90% of that heat is ABOVE the burner. I have stood under mega btu heat exchange boiler burners and it barely felt warm.

I don't know why you want to scare people into spending their money
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is what I would try:
JB Weld extreme heat

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2112 wrote:
JB Weld is good to 500ยฐF

It wouldn't hurt to buff it down, seal it with JB Weld Metal and hit it with some high heat silver spray paint.

What ya got to lose? You'll know in 10 seconds if that solved your problem

:R

Your life?

:E

Propane Flame Tempurature

"In complete combustion with a blue-colored flame, the temperature of a propane flame is 3,596ยฐ F"

Everything right around that flame will easily exceed 500 F..

Propane appliances are not the place to be cheap or experiment with..

All it takes is a slight leak of unlit propane to sink into the stove and build up until it reaches the lit burner and you and your camper may no longer be in one piece.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for DIYing things but there are somethings best not done on the cheap or hillbilly style.