cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Made the jump to golf cart batteries!

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Decided it was time to retire my AC Delco group 24 RV/marine batteries that had date codes of 2013. Figured 8 years was a good run, and our last boondocking trip they didnt seem to last through a 3 day weekend like they used to.
Ended up going to Sams Club and getting 2 Duracell GC2 golf cart batteries for $89 each. they say on the label they are made by East Penn/Deka, and I have had great luck with East Penn in the past.
Only about $10 more than a new group 24 from Walmart, so I figured I cant go wrong!
8 REPLIES 8

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
They are 60-65# each. About double what a 12V weighs.
They weigh so much mostly because they have more lead in them. This is a good thing as it means they will last longer. They are the best bang for the buck. I used them for many years.

I recently took the plunge into Battle Borns. The price of admission is high. But the longevity should make them more economical over time.... And the bonus is no terminal corrosion, and no need to add water.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Although I have never needed them I have heard that one battery is large and extremely heavy????

They are 6 volt so you have to run 2 to achieve the 12 volts required for rv use.
The GC2 batteries are similar length and width to my old group 24 batteries, but the GC2 is taller.
They are quite heavy.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Sweet. Do you have solar? If yes you want to choose the charge profile for wet cell batteries. They get slightly higher voltage. Also benefit from the occasional equalization charge of 16v.

No solar, I do have a Progressive Dynamics converter with the multi stage charging.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although I have never needed them I have heard that one battery is large and extremely heavy????

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's where we go for our golfcart batteries, we spend more $$$ for gas on a single RV trip than we pay for at least 8 years of 12 volt reserves. Don't see us going to any advanced battery technology in the near future when we get great service and longevity for a few dollars annually. We did a pair of 12 volt batteries early on in our RVing experience, what a notable difference overall when we switched over to GC2 batteries as it pertains to RVing off the grid.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
150 amp hours to 220 for 20 bucks, what a deal
and when you get to usable amp hours. it's even better

i used DEKA as well... no complaints.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet. Do you have solar? If yes you want to choose the charge profile for wet cell batteries. They get slightly higher voltage. Also benefit from the occasional equalization charge of 16v.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The price was right !

If you take care of them like you did with the other one they should last even longer.