cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium Battery Question

Scott_Julie
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about converting my 2020 lance to Lithium batteries. I want to do it as inexpensively as possible. (Battle Born ain't gonna happen) Can anyone tell me what specifications I should look for on Ali express. I have found some LIFEPO4 that seem correct for under $400 but don't know enough to confidently pull the trigger.

A couple of possibilities

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000617901237.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.fdebad25XMz3hT&algo_pvid=9cfc3aa3-f3aa-4d78-8a9d-e8f5b3be5269&algo_expid=9cfc3aa3-f3aa-4d78-8a9d-e8f5b3be5269-8&btsid=0ab6f83a15881757234012506e3f57&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000015994891.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.fdebad25XMz3hT&algo_pvid=9cfc3aa3-f3aa-4d78-8a9d-e8f5b3be5269&algo_expid=9cfc3aa3-f3aa-4d78-8a9d-e8f5b3be5269-3&btsid=0ab6f83a15881757234012506e3f57&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thanks in advance

Scott.
102 REPLIES 102

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Curious about this issue, I just checked out the Victronโ€™s manual.

In section 4.2.1. one can note that the meterโ€™s charging voltage is programmable - Iโ€™m not sure, but this parameter may contain the answer...

After a re-check of the Linklite set-up manual, it turns out that both float voltage and float current programmable and are part of the meters โ€˜auto-syncโ€™ parameters - this is good news!

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
3tons,

I know that the smartgauge will not work with LI chemistries and it checks voltage many times per second (1500 iirc).

Well, as I previously stated, I have no โ€˜first handโ€™ knowledge with Victronโ€™s SOC Meter...However, my neighbor has a Victron meter on his LiFePO4, and I questioned him about this very issue just this afternoon, in which he stated that his meter seems to not need these routine re-synchronizations since it typically restores itself to 100% SOC upon each recharge!!... My guess is this may just point to a difference in the way the Victron arrives at SOC...I do plan to follow up on this...

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart

3 tons (in the High Desert)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
3tons,

I know that the smartgauge will not work with LI chemistries and it checks voltage many times per second (1500 iirc).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
grizzzman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
A great price!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-12v-100Ah-Rechargeable-Deep-Cycle-Battery-with-Home-Charger-BMS-Sol...

$530 usd
thats a fire ready to start. Stick with lifepo4

That's why there is a battery management system. "Lithium 12v 100Ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery with Home Charger BMS"
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I wonder if the poor oppressed OP has his answer yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

Agreed, โ€œNothing more to see here, Please move alongโ€!!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if the poor oppressed OP has his answer yet. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the flat voltage/discharge characteristics of LiFePO4, I seriously doubt that any of todayโ€™s โ€˜over-the-counterโ€™ sourced SOC meters (Diet Coke vs Diet Pepsi comes to mind!) will be able to provide as accurate of readout as it would with an FLA (though not sure about Victron...). But due to the extremely wide operating breadth of Li (post โ€˜Real Worldโ€™ eval, where occasional top-ended re-synchronizations and approximation proves adequate...), the value of a โ€˜dead onโ€™ SOC readout appears to be of a relative minor concern, thus the salvation of having a โ€™dead onโ€™ SOC display being far more beneficial (if not sometimes critical) to the various FLA types... JMHO...

3 tons

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trimetric lets you kill AH auto-reset for when you have solar, or else it resets every time it gets dark. Didn't see that with LinkLite, so over to you on that.

There was something there about four minutes at full? How does that work with BMS holding time? ( I got confused again.)
Photo in Profile

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Accessories/LinkLite-Battery-Monitor/LinkLITE_Operation(975-0428-01...

Don't see a program for charging efficiency.

Do see the one for Peukert--change that to 1.05 (I saw somewhere)

Need to kill auto-sync but can't see where.

Don't like that idea the battery is full just because the charger dropped to float voltage. That is just nutty IMO. Maybe I don't understand that part. ( I don't like the way Trimetric does it either)

It said to make sure the wires on the shunt are twisted or else your amps reading will be off. (The Trimetric wire comes with them twisted, don't know about LinkLite's.)

LinkLite wires are twisted (by ME - lol). With Li, the only feasible way I can see to determine โ€˜batt fullโ€™ is when battery current (zero) and voltage (maximum) have been holding steady for awhile, though (based on historical energy consumption) I donโ€™t run the Li down to the lower range of DOD, the displayed SOC is an adequate approximate...Iโ€™ve yet to try the Coulomb counting method...Having said that (nuances aside), with solar I believe thereโ€™s little need to try and keep the batt full except for an occasional balancing of cells - the nice thing about Li is the uber expansive operating range where as a practical matter voltage drop becomes mostly irrelevant...JMO

X2, sometimes close is good enough. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Accessories/LinkLite-Battery-Monitor/LinkLITE_Operation(975-0428-01...

Don't like that idea the battery is full just because the charger dropped to float voltage. That is just nutty IMO. Maybe I don't understand that part. ( I don't like the way Trimetric does it either)

It said to make sure the wires on the shunt are twisted or else your amps reading will be off. (The Trimetric wire comes with them twisted, don't know about LinkLite's.)

LinkLite wires are twisted (by ME - lol). With Li, the only feasible way I can see to determine โ€˜batt fullโ€™ is when battery current (zero) and voltage (maximum) have been holding steady for awhile, though (based on historical energy consumption) I donโ€™t run the Li down to the lower range of DOD, the displayed SOC is an adequate approximate...Iโ€™ve yet to try the Coulomb counting method...Having said that (nuances aside), with solar I believe thereโ€™s little need to try and keep the batt full except for an occasional balancing of cells - the nice thing about Li is the uber expansive operating range where as a practical matter voltage drop becomes mostly irrelevant...JMO

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

Photo in Profile

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, double post...

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerate1 said:

โ€œ What you're describing it sounds like the cells aren't going through the full balancing period but without being able to see the individual cells or mini packs inside it's just a guess. โ€

I believe that at least a primary rational for the battery needing to be held for a period of time (??) at voltage โ€˜xโ€™ is to allow sufficient time for individual cell balancing. My guess is that depending on cell voltage differentials (possibly related to the previous DOD?), this process might vary from say only a few minutes to maybe an hour. Determining which cell is the laggard?? - advantage Prism...

3 tons

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bouncing voltage should be confirmed with a DVM at the battery. Maybe the monitor is acting funny. Eg, the Trimetric ISTR has a sort of smoothing filter so it reads steadier. Not the same thing, but whatever, cross-check with a different meter IMO.
Photo in Profile