cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Tailight Weak Flashing Issue - *Solved*

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
***not sure if "taillight" or "tail light" is correct" as I've seen both...

Item in question is the Bargman series 84 light set with the 47-84-420 LED part #.

Just one side has the issue of an intermittent weak flash. Test light flashes correctly so I believe this indicates good signal from the wiring

If I apply the test light to the connection, then the LED assumes full strength again. I'm guessing this is an issue with he LED light but before I apply a fix action, I wanted to determine from the experts if adding a permanent small load (as the test light does) would be smart or just try a repacement LED light for about $30?

Thank you

*Replaced the fixture with above mentioned part # and it works as it should. Problem was a malfunctioning LED fixture and not the wiring. Thanks for the help from everyone!
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD
22 REPLIES 22

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
One possible way to isolate if it's the bulb or the socket/wiring is to swap bulbs between the two taillights and seeing if the problem moves or stays. Apologies if you've tried that already.

It kind of sounds like a poor connection to me, possibly corrosion in the socket or a loose wire/ground or that sort of thing. I could be all wrong, of course.

I will be able to provide an update in about 2 hours, as the replacement was delivered today.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE

Isn't it frustrating to diagnose-by-wire? Hands-on would reveal the cause in seconds.
๐Ÿ™‚

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
One possible way to isolate if it's the bulb or the socket/wiring is to swap bulbs between the two taillights and seeing if the problem moves or stays. Apologies if you've tried that already.

It kind of sounds like a poor connection to me, possibly corrosion in the socket or a loose wire/ground or that sort of thing. I could be all wrong, of course.

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
When I put on the Bargman LED upgrades, I notice weak and intermittent operation of the turn signals. I hose clamped around the light socket (the upgrades use the existing light socket) and coated the whole thing with dielectric grease.

Good idea to use the grease. The fixtures I have are not the upgrade versions. I have about had it with trailer lights, especially with my two boat trailers...
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Taillight fixture has a poor ground.

I checked the ground and it is good and I also ran an alternate ground just to be sure. Thank you for the suggestion.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
When I put on the Bargman LED upgrades, I notice weak and intermittent operation of the turn signals. I hose clamped around the light socket (the upgrades use the existing light socket) and coated the whole thing with dielectric grease.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Use the resistor. The lamp's VOLTAGE REGULATOR is malfunctioning and sensing what it believes to be too high of incoming voltage. So it drastically limits current.

I would suggest "overkill city" with the resistor. Lots of wattage rating.

With my home built third brake light systems I enable the lamp for 5 minutes continuous operation. Then gingerly touch fingertip to resistor. If I yell unprintable words, I up the wattage rating.

Thanks for your expertise. I'm going to try a new light fixture and be done with it...hopefully.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I was ready to say the probe across the fixture did two things, lower the resistance by being parallel and add a new ground to the circuit

Then you said you put the resistor in series with the fixture (not parallel like the test probe) increasing the resistance

Either way, it is the fixture that is the problem

Thank you, Sir. I have a new light on order.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Taillight fixture has a poor ground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Use the resistor. The lamp's VOLTAGE REGULATOR is malfunctioning and sensing what it believes to be too high of incoming voltage. So it drastically limits current.

I would suggest "overkill city" with the resistor. Lots of wattage rating.

With my home built third brake light systems I enable the lamp for 5 minutes continuous operation. Then gingerly touch fingertip to resistor. If I yell unprintable words, I up the wattage rating.

MrWizard
I was ready to say the probe across the fixture did two things, lower the resistance by being parallel and add a new ground to the circuit

Then you said you put the resistor in series with the fixture (not parallel like the test probe) increasing the resistance

Either way, it is the fixture that is the problem
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Since only one light does it, it isn't the flasher. That's a good thing since I beieve it's in the TIPM.
I would just replace the light itself. It sounds like its drivers are messed up.

Not too familiar with TIPM but I'm guessing it is part of the vehicle's system that manages power to the trailer lights. I'm starting to think it is the LED fixture as well.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
campinginthewoods wrote:
Maybe change suspected bulb to one you know works and see if your problem still exist. Just a thought

I would normally do this but the only other LED tail light I have available is the other side which operates as it should and I didn't want to cut wires and swap just yet.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I think the issue is your flasher unit, not the LED driver.

Other side works normal and I connected to another tow vehicle and the issue remained, which led me to assume it is isolated to that one LED fixture and not a problem with the flasher or tow vehicle.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD