cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

K&N air filter

Remmag
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have any opinions on K&N air filters and the claims of increased power and gas mileage? Thanks
77 REPLIES 77

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
K&N will let a lot of air pass in.
It will also let a lot of dirt in also.
I will not use them.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
We need a "sticky" that one could check for opinions but that wouldn't work either.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Buy an AFE 7 Stage Dry Filter, reuseable ez clean.

K&N are junk

Not much difference with the AFE filters vs the K&N, the stage one filter is the only dry one and they sell a screen to go over for more pretention from dust and the stage 5 and 7 requires oil just like the K&N, I will just keep my K&N for now.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Buy an AFE 7 Stage Dry Filter, reuseable ez clean.

K&N are junk
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Remmag
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the interesting responses, had no idea this bring up such a wild discussion. BTW, I've been on the road with limited internet. Thanks again.

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Ha ! Wanderer, that is funny stuff... made me giggle. I don't think you're staying in Michoacan... I think you're smokin' the Michoacan. :B

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
But YUMMY bait is irrrrrrrrrrrrresistable.

Makes me want to stay up all night at a friend's place and watch Ron Popiel (Ronco) Work His Show. Can't really enjoy this hoot unless you participate. Sorta like attending the county fair and trying to knock over those weighed bottles with three pitches.

Or pay ten bucks to belieeeeeeeeeeve in Michael Moore's bald-face conspiracy revelations.

Good God! Is that Elvis over there standing next to Greta Garbo?

Oh Jeez, gotta go!

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else notice that Remmag (the original poster) "set-it-and-forget it" ? 7 pages and 69 responses...(with the exact same outcome as the last 5 times the subject matter was passionately discussed). who knew ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Makes me wonder who is "gullible", "sucker", etc. ... (descriptors used in some of the responses posted here). :B

Bait taken. :S

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

rupprider
Explorer
Explorer
Similar too; Andy Granatelli's marketing program for STP. Sold all of us thick oil in little cans! Made a million, or enough to kiss Mario! lol

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
If you use a K&N, please permanently affix the decal so that when you trade it in some poor unsuspecting buyer will know that the truck was abused. It's the right thing to do.

:B ROFLMAO... because it's so true... buy the filter, gotta use the HP it makes by abusing the engine running it near red line.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Man, I'm done, you people don't even read a post before you start to spout like Mt. Vesuvius. Did any of you ranters even read anything I posted, or did you just cut and paste?

Never, ever, ever, ever did I say anything about HP increases, better filtering, or anything else you guys are ranting over.

I did point out that the company has been in business for over 50 years, so they are obviously selling something people are buying.

Hopeless, absolutely hopeless.

They work for some people, in wet, muddy or humid conditions. They don't work work a poop in dusty, or dry, or dirty, or desert conditions with a lot of airborne particulate matter, dirt, or dust, where you really need the air filtered of airborne dust, dirt and particulate matter.

I refuse to pay that kind of money for an oily cotton rag passing as a "filter" that does NOT work effectively for the places I drive.... farm country, AG country, desert dirt and dust country, the whole West and Midwest area of the USA. The South East, East and North East tend to have enough frequent rains and humidity to make mud more common than air born dust.

PT Barnum said "Don't worry about that, there's a sucker born every minute." That was a long time ago, it's probably down to every 5 or 6 seconds, nowadays. Add in the quality of USA public schools and education nowadays, and folks having critical reasoning skills, and it's probably down to 3 or 4 being born, per second.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The pin holes are there to prevent cigar ash size contamination from being scared of the dark.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
If you use a K&N, please permanently affix the decal so that when you trade it in some poor unsuspecting buyer will know that the truck was abused. It's the right thing to do.

:B

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a K&N drop in filter on an S10 pickup. In all honesty I didn't really notice any difference in performance, and never could get any consistent, measurable mileage gains. It was probably on the truck about a year, the throttle was getting a little sticky, so I pulled the air tube off the throttle body and was surprised at the amount of dust and grit that got through to the clean side of the filter. Cleaned the throttle, dropped a paper filter back in, and never looked back!

It is also telling, that they can usually pick up a K&N filter or a faulty filter in a used oil analysis. The silicon (fine sand particles)levels generally read higher with a K&N filter in use than a paper.

I'm not saying it will instantly ruin your engine or fear mongering. I just don't think it is a wise investment to spend $50 or mor for an air filter that seems to offer no or little measurable advantages in performance, and allows more dirt in your engine.

If you want a good air filter that flows better than stock paper, Amsoil EA filters use synthetic nanofiber technology, it flows better than standard paper and still filters very well.