cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it normal to cut the roof supports?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Was on the roof resealing the lap sealant and noticed the shower dome was sinking. Couple days later i replaced the bathroom vent cover and see that they cut the actual roof support.

The previous owner claimed he knew the owner of Forest River and they custom made this trailer. I keep finding the most horrible construction practices known to man. I hear its normal with trailers but man....its bad. Spare tire literally gets jacked up into a sharp piece of metal that of course popped the tire. How did a worker actually do that without fear of losing his job?

This roof thing is the newest. They might have adjusted their normal layout which caused the shower to sit a foot back. So to install the dome above the shower they had to cut the roof support? Thats my guess. The previous owner said something about how they asked for more kitchen space to entertain people. That would push the bathroom back a bit.

Normal or total eff up?

In the picture the roof support is right along the roof vent. Then its completely cut off and removed so the shower dome can fit above it. I can move the support up and down with my hand.

45 REPLIES 45

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Did you get the mouse?

For the plywood in the rear corner question; I'm assuming you're referring to the picture three posts up where you have the red arrows and asking about shimming.

I would also be nervous about cracking the skylight, but I would still go for it. First I would use a screw at each end of the crosspiece between the studs to better support the shims. Definitely predrill the screw holes as if you are toe nailing and drive a long screw into each end. Pictures 2-4 in the link

After you have two screws in it then carefully shim the roof back up flat.

For the sagging interior panel you can either use contact cement, or some small flat head screws. Small screws if covered by the interior panel. Contact cement if not covered by the panel.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Thought i heard a mouse a couple weeks ago. Was the motivation to finally pull down the skylight lower portion.

What should i do about the plywood on the outside corner? The skylight is yellowed and i dont want to crack it.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
I wish I had everyone's x-ray vision because I can't see any of the structure at and around the actual skylight to be able to draw any conclusion that something was or wasn't done. I honestly don't see anything messed up because I can't see anything but what is around the fan which may not be related to anything done round the skylight.

Its not cut at the vent, the truss is intact there. Follow the seam in the ceiling that is directly under the truss, it ends at the raised area above the shower, that is where the truss is cut.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would shim.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
They used 1 staple and completely missed.

This is facing the outside wall. Should i shim the plywood back flat so that the skylight doesnt sink down at that spot? Or best to leave it since it was stapled and sealed in that position?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If possible lets focus on the construction aspect.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:

The previous owner claimed he knew the owner of Forest River and they custom made this trailer.

And you believed that story ??

:R

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqhUvfw3wiE&list=UU9ZbHDTVWmMaqIBAVBakm4g&index=1

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Im surprised people think the previous owner did the spare tire hack job. The tire has never been used (see the white line in the picture) and the manufacture date is 2012 on my 2013 trailer.

The sequence of events just doesnt make sense. He would have to notice the spare tire is hanging crooked because the edge of the tire is hitting a metal support. Then he would cut that metal support to make room. Leaving a sharp edge. Then actually crank the spare tire back up and not check to make sure that sharp point is not gouging into the tire?? Nah...no way. There is no amount of beer for someone to go through all that work and not check to see if that fresh sharp edge is cutting into the sidewall.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
After the sale? That would require redoing the entire roof. Why would someone move a skylight 6 inches?

I dont think the spare tire issue was done by the previous owner. I sent him a pic when I discovered and he had no idea.

I think they welded it wrong at the factory. It not even parallel to the frame. Other metal supports are cut just as bad. They clearance out waaaaay too much. Cuts are all jagged.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I have no love for FR. BUT, to state this is DUMB. You and the OP and all others on these forums have no idea what has been done to this RV in 7 years. The OP is NOT the original owner and only the original owner has standing for complaints like this when it has no safety issues.

So true. Plus we have no idea if this was a factory install or was done after the sale by the owner or some hack. Based on the other photo, there seems to be some backyard modifications that occurred.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
You just have to love how these companies stand behind their products.
If I was you I would pull that inner skylight down and see what's up in the attic. Maybe you'll get a surprise and the repair is easy and fast.

I have no love for FR. BUT, to state this is DUMB. You and the OP and all others on these forums have no idea what has been done to this RV in 7 years. The OP is NOT the original owner and only the original owner has standing for complaints like this when it has no safety issues. The OEM's have to be careful when they respond. The OP may have sent his questions to the wrong department at FR. Regardless, IF FR decides to respond, the OP will have to take his Unit to a FR authorized Service Center and have it evaluated. Which the OP will have to pay for. Until a FR Service center looks at the issue, FR will not do anything. This is true for almost all OEM's. They may give general answers, but nothing that will resolve the issue without a Service Center visit. Doug

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
If I was you I would pull that inner skylight down and see what's up in the attic. Maybe you'll get a surprise and the repair is easy and fast.

X2!
I would think one could fabricate a header between the two adjacent trusses out of 1/2" plywood. Attach to the two adjacent trusses with screws, then once lifted to correct height attach the cut truss.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator