cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter problem and question

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Magnum MS2000 inverters. One for the coach and the second for the residential fridge. And six 6-volt batteries.

Currently the coach inverter reads about 110V with a small load and if a turn a fan on it falls to 80V and trip the GFCI and blows up the surge protectors. If I swap the AC lines with the fridge inverter everything is fine. So, I am calling Magnum today and I probably need to get some replacement boards.

Secondly, it is a bit crowded in the bin where the inverters are especially since I just added a solar controller there. So, I was wondering about replacing both with the MS2812. It seems that this would be enough power. And that if it has dual in and dual out AC circuits, I can just combine 2 inverter circuits and get rid of a set of 4/0 cables. Is this realistic, not considering the extra cost?

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
500w should have 750 to 1000 surge watts.
Does seem overkill for the OEM to install two inverter/chargers let alone 2000 watts dedicated to the fridge.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace the bad one with a 500W PSW inverter for just the refer... a 2000W is four times what it needs. This would let you turn off the MS2000 when out of the rig saving some power.

500W will probably not overcome the LRA of the reefer. A user would have to check the idle draw of the inverters to be used. Some of the newer, larger inverters have a very low idle draw or an auto-shut off feature to save some AH's.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where did you measure voltage at?

IF you measured at an outlet.. The problem might be the inverter... and then again it might NOT

Serious fact: I plugged in a heavy load and lost ALL power on the inverter powered circuits.. Turns out a connection was fried,, I cut back and re-dressed the wires and re-connected an all is good,, been 8 years and it's the circuit powering this computer as I type. So I knwo it's good.

Had the connection only "Half fried" I'd have seen what you see.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would swap the house over to the good inverter with the refer and run everything on just one. If you boondock often I would replace the bad one with a 500W PSW inverter for just the refer... a 2000W is four times what it needs. This would let you turn off the MS2000 when out of the rig saving some power.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman wrote:
smkettner wrote:
I would just run everything on the existing MS2000 that seems to be functioning and see how it goes. Upgrade to the 2812 only if you encounter an overload condition.

I was thinking of trying that. The working MS2000 has 2 outputs with circuit breakers so it would be easy to try.

David

We have been running everything on our Magnum MS2012 for two years now. We replaced our old Xantrex MSW with it when we put the residential reefer in. We have had no problems whatsoever.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I would just run everything on the existing MS2000 that seems to be functioning and see how it goes. Upgrade to the 2812 only if you encounter an overload condition.

I was thinking of trying that. The working MS2000 has 2 outputs with circuit breakers so it would be easy to try.

David

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
The main inverter is for the whole house except the fridge. The fridge is an option which adds the second inverter and 2 batteries.

Currently I have separate AC circuits to each inverter. The inverter for the fridge has a 15 amp circuit breaker for it's own circuit, so that would need a new circuit breaker. I think I would need to replace the cable if I just went with a single input cable, but I would need to check.

David

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Should work fine. I'd 'whole house' it rather that two circuits.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman