cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter cooling fan

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to install a Outback VFXR2812 inverter, it is going in an enclosure and needs ventilation. Those of you with an enclosed inverter what are you using for a cooling fan? The inverter can support up to a .7 amp draw for the fan.
6 REPLIES 6

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input I am going to go with two Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000s to start and will monitor temps and add more if needed, I have a four fan control with individual temperature settings so I can stage them based on the temperature in the enclosure.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The best/quietest computer fan (12v) are made by Noctua.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased 2, 4" muffin Fans. Run in series. 1 intake, 1 exhaust.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
As Pianotuna points out if your inverter uses the ac to run its fans let it cooldown before turning it off.

I run my Magnum for hours powering the ac unit but I make sure that the front compartment is open for air circulation under those conditions. Also the inverter is on 24/7/365.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
I am getting ready to install a Outback VFXR2812 inverter, .
Excellent choice! The Outback units are built like tanks and should last forever. Note that it weighs 60lb, so there's probably enough heat sink in that mass you may not need to ventilate it. I doubt the mfr just forgot about cooling an inverter that expensive.

I have the 3648A, and I never hear its fan, nor do I know if it even has one. It's in the basement, not a small enclosed space however.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
S Davis

What is the wattage of the inverter? What is the efficiency?

For example 1000 watts at 9% = 111 watts of heat to dissipate.

From that you could calculate the air flow needed.

I would use DC computer fans, one to exhaust and one to blow into the box.

I'd use a mechanical thermostat to control the on/off cycling.

My Magnum caught on fire--because it uses AC controls (or perhaps AC fans).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.