cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interlock kit

Wind157
Explorer
Explorer
I rewired my trailer with a square box, two fuses have incoming power. On from shore power and one from the inverter.
I can not figure it out but each hot fuse only powers certain load fuses (no I donโ€™t keep them on at the same time or even have power running through shore/inverter at the same time). For example, inverter power will run most lights, outlets, and fridge outlet but not the ac (fan low only) and one set of outlets. The shore power will run the AC and the other set of outlets but every else doesnโ€™t work.
I know itโ€™s the wiring or order of the square d blocks. If I run the shore power cord to the inverters outlet the same thing happens as if it is actual shore power.

If I move the breakers to different spots in the box I get similar but a different combination of results.

Iโ€™m assuming that there might be an order I need to set the fuses in but I canโ€™t find anything online saying what that is. Itโ€™s only 6 breakers anyway, two power and 4 load, so itโ€™s not like there are an unmanageable number of combinations.

Ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
As others have pointed out, You are out of your league doing this type work. For instance, you state lights. Lights are 12 volt. Also, the 240 breaker panel usually has every other breaker on a leg. Leg one will be breakers 1/3/5/7. Leg 2 will be 2/4/6/8. Last, you CANNOT expect to run a roof AC on an Inverter. A 2500/3000 Inverter will run a roof AC, but kill the batteries in less than 4 hours. Probably less than 2 hours. Doug

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
You should probably not be messing with electrical panels, you seem to lack the basic understanding of how they work/supposed to work.
Agree. I was an electrician for 45 years and had my own business for 34 years. You would be amazed at some of things I have seen. Electricity is not something to mess around with. You could start a fire or get someone electricuted!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Breaker panels have two buss bars. They aren't connected. The are normally for L1 and L2 used with a 240v/120v 50 amp service. You seem to have 2 120 volt inputs: shore and inverter. You need a transfer switch.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Considered many different replies. But I'll just say read MrWizard's post above, and then read it again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
You should probably not be messing with electrical panels, you seem to lack the basic understanding of how they work/supposed to work.

MrWizard
Either use a sub panel for the circuits you want to power from the inverter, or use the OEM panel and put a transfer switch between shore and inverter supplies, and manually turn off the AC and other breakers when you are using inverter power, this second option is what I have done ,

If you are using a house 220v breaker panel , and supplying it from both the shore line and the inverter , that is a dangerous situation, and against electrical code, you have two different not in sync electrical supplies sharing neutral, accidentally having both supplies energized could result in damage to the inverter and possibly fire or other electrical damage to the RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It seems you're trying to use a 220 volt service panel with two independent 120 volt sources. Each source can only power the breakers on it's own bus. If the inverter is on full time, then place only the breakers you want powered by the inverter on that bus, with the others on the shorepower bus.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate