cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydraulic Hose leak.

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the HWH Jack and Room slide system in my 2010 Rexhall Aerbus. One of the room slide hydraulic hoses has a hole worn in it.
The hose is a Parker Parflex 1/8" PDH-2 6000 psi. Best way to fix would be to replace hose, but access to the ends looks near impossible. Could the hole which is in the middle of the line be cut out and new 58 series fittings put each hose end and something put between to tie the lines together, "threaded Pipe or something else"?
Bill & Diana & Suzie the super dog lab
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310
Work'in to retire and really RV
11 REPLIES 11

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill, I was faced with the same decision last year and the repair was more costly than the hose from HWH. Mine was the longest hose that blew going to the rear jack. It cost $67 if I remember correctly. I tied string on the old hose and pulled it out leaving the string in place. Then tied the string to the new hose and pulled it back into place. It fit perfectly and took me less than an hr. I would not have been able to snake the new hose over the tanks and though the chassis without using the string actually a strong cord. The end hose ends are a little tight to access but not real difficult. I'm 72 if that helps you at all.

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10, they are HWH hoses, but I in my skill and age don't think I can access the ends that connect to the cylinders both ends are over the top of holding tanks. one is over the fresh the other over the grey with about 5 or 6" of clearance and 2 or more feet back. The RV tech I talked to said he could do it but needs the RV in his shop for a couple of weeks which I am ok with.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If these are HWH supplied hoses, there will be a label at both ends with exact hose dimensions/ part numbers.

And, you can order replacements directly from HWH.

Will save one RV tech trip!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a call in to a Mobile RV Tech that I have used in the past. The tech says we will need to replace the hose from end to end, he is coming over in a couple of days to look at it and see what I need to do to get it to his shop.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Mex,
Yes the Black spiral wrap tubing protector is a good idea, should not be in a place to be abrated as that was my mistake.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
fairway2002,
I have been looking for a field repair kit, but have not found any for 1/8" hyd line. The line is only 3/8 outside diameter.6000 psi rating and the pressure of the system is 1850 psi.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A different chapter...

Black spiral wrap tubing protector can be spiraled on with the hose in place after the fix is finished. Much tougher to abrade than bare hose.

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
They make a thing call hydraulic hose line field repair kit. Hose should have PSI rating.

I was told not to use on my levelers. PSI was to high

Good luck

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Chum Lee,
I caused the hole removing sheet metal that enclosed my black tank. The sheet metal was right next to the hose and the vibration of the saws-all wore thru the as it is only 3 ply, "Inner plastic tube covered by fabric braid reinforcement layer with a plastic outer cover" not you typical hydraulic hose. I was sawing probably a foot away from the line so was not watching it. I was more worried about not compromising the black tank or discharge pipe.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
olympicman wrote:
Could the hole which is in the middle of the line be cut out and new 58 series fittings put each hose end and something put between to tie the lines together, "threaded Pipe or something else"?

Good practice is to always replace the hose, not to repair it, unless it's a temporary fix, especially on high pressure hydraulics. If someone got the hose in there, there has to be a way to get it out. Why did the hose have a hole worn in it? Without knowing why, IMO, chances are you are installing a bandaid. Fix it right the first time.

Chum lee

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
any good hydraulic shop will have the connections you need. Cut the hose new fittings that tie the 2 pieces together and you are good to go.
I have done this on a a hose to my jacks and also to the hose fom my slide. Did this many years ago and no more leaks.
Busyguy