cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to set up web cam.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to set up a camera that takes a picture every so often and uploads it for viewing. Something like road condition cameras or the cams that ski resorts put on their "snow sticks". This is to monitor conditions at a remote site (with power and wi-fi).

When I do searches for how to do this, everything keeps leading me to live video feeds that require a dedicated computer, encoders, etc.

Can anyone point me towards a simple system or a set of instructions? I can buy a camera and if I have to, I can probably get a crummy laptop to run it.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.
15 REPLIES 15

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the foscam cloud service charges, except for the very basic 1 camera setup

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Foscams have a cloud service and method to avoid port forwarding. Here is one onsale for $75.

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=GeQnk&m=3g_mS1gEBdVZeBt&b=b.LrMcsh207PyITyuDB3eQ (link from email). Use "Cloud720" for coupon to get the $75 price.

Product description from Amazon
The Amcrest HDSeries 720p Wi-Fi video camera helps you stay in touch with what you love anytime, anywhere. With its quick mobile setup process, you will have secure access to your camera's video stream in no time. Stream live and playback recorded video of your home, your kids, your pets, or your business on the go with the Amcrest View app. Amcrest Cloud offers optional cloud recording with free live viewing and 4 hours of free video storage accessible from any device including Apple Mac, Windows PC, iPhone, iPad or Android devices. Amcrest cameras also record to an internal MicroSD card (not included), upload to an FTP as well as record to any Amcrest (or ONVIF compliant) Network Video Recorder (NVR) (not included). Each Amcrest camera features two-way talk, night vision, remote pan/tilt, enhanced digital zoom, a 85ยบ viewing angle, smart motion alerts, email alerts and snapshots, advanced recording options, secure SSL/HTTPS connection and wireless AES WPA2 encryption. With the Amcrest HDSeries, you'll never be out of the loop again. Amcrest cameras are compatible together with Foscam cameras only when using AmcrestCloud, Amcrest NVRs, Blue Iris for Windows PC, Live Cams Pro for iOS and TinyCam Monitor for Android.

Amcrest HDSeries 720P WiFi Security IP Camera IPM-721S (Silver): Quick Second Setup / Wide 85ยฐ FOV / Remote Web Access from Smartphone or Tablet / Storage to MicroSD, NVR, or Amcrest Cloud / Pan and Tilt + Intelligent Digital Zoom / Night Vision Up to 32ft / Two-Way Talk / Smart Motion Alerts

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
I am using a Sharx 3904 - it was purchased through SebecTec for about $40 less than available on Amazon. I hooked up with SebecTec through a weather hobbyist forum where SebecTec is a regular contributor.

The Sharx allows you to view live video feed or still images through a web browser or cell phone. A static IP is NOT required, the instructions include how to use 'www.no-ip.com' to set up your camera for this. I did not use the service but if I remember correctly the service was free for < 5 cameras. If you needed more than that there was a monthly fee.

The Sharx can also send still images via ftp or to a Dropbox account or all of the above. This can be based upon a set schedule or on a motion trigger or both.

The other IP Camera that gets very high reviews for use as a still "weather cam" is HikVision models. You can get LOTS of information about setting up a camera like you are talking about from WxForum.net - Weather Web Cams.
CarriGo
Model 2320

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
I bought a Dlink camera yesterday. It is supposed to let one see home while away from home, upon demand so it isn't using a GB per hour of home internet data all the time. I find it works on the computer and iphone at home with both camera and viewer on the same wifi. But setup for use away from home is complicated and lacking instructions. Some viewers seem to require a fixed IP address; ours changes. Even the local IP of the camera will change. Also,
"To view your IP Camera remotely over 3G/LTE network, it requires to setup DDNS + Port forwarding for your Internet router at your home/"

I can add a port forwarding rule in the router setup but it requires internal and external port numbers I don't know.

I'm getting the impression I must use a Dlink router in order to get any instructions. The Dlink free app stalls upon running on the iPad. The $2 app only works locally.

Would I face similar problems with the Foscam?

Yes, I needed to set up port forwards on the Foscams I installed. But you can choose the port. The Foscams can be configured to provide their ip address via email, so I did not bother with a DDNS that provides a name instead of an IP.

As an example I set up a port forward on my router at our campground that takes incoming traffic on port 8100, 8101, and 8102 and forwards that to an internal IP address 192.168.0.xx:810x (the IP address of the webcams)

Just use the same internal/external ports... don't use port 80, 223, 23, or 443. There is a listing of common ports here

click

I used 8100, 8101, and 8102 as there is nothing assigned at those ports.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Dlink camera yesterday. It is supposed to let one see home while away from home, upon demand so it isn't using a GB per hour of home internet data all the time. I find it works on the computer and iphone at home with both camera and viewer on the same wifi. But setup for use away from home is complicated and lacking instructions. Some viewers seem to require a fixed IP address; ours changes. Even the local IP of the camera will change. Also,
"To view your IP Camera remotely over 3G/LTE network, it requires to setup DDNS + Port forwarding for your Internet router at your home/"

I can add a port forwarding rule in the router setup but it requires internal and external port numbers I don't know.

I'm getting the impression I must use a Dlink router in order to get any instructions. The Dlink free app stalls upon running on the iPad. The $2 app only works locally.

Would I face similar problems with the Foscam?

EDIT: I apologize to Dlink! The free Dlink lite app fooled me - the opening screen was an instruction screen; one has to go several pages to the right to see the working login screen. It works, no port forwarding needed.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I own a bunch of these cameras. Made by Reolink, they do not require a computer. You only need a computer for recording. You can access the camera directly through a web browser, you just need to know the IP Address of the camera.

Setup is simple. If you have a smartphone, all you need to do is connect the camera to your network and then scan the bar code on the bottom of the camera. Otherwise, just find the IP address through the router and connect to it through your web browser. I have mine setup and connected to a laptop because I record the footage.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
This setup is for an outdoor school in Idaho where I work. I would like students to be able to view weather conditions before they come as part of their pre-adventure activities.

Weellllll.... if that's the case then think about the Amazon $60 Foscam and give the kids the HTTP address to it. Comes free from Foscam.

Then create an operator user ID / password that they enter and can only move the camera around. Might as well give them some techno-fun.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback gang. I will definitely dig into the Foscam options.

This setup is for an outdoor school in Idaho where I work. I would like students to be able to view weather conditions before they come as part of their pre-adventure activities.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
We use Foscam's, FI8910W. Bought a pair on Amazon years ago for $100, and recently bought another for $60. They are rated for indoor use but work quite well even in 20 below zero weather outdoors - as long as they are under shelter outside as they probably wouldn't tolerate rain or snow all that well. I know Foscam does make the outdoor cameras but most are not pan/tilt/zoom. If you don't need the ability to turn the camera, might be worth looking at.

As stated earlier, they can be configured to send an email on motion detection. In practice, the farther away from the camera, the fewer pictures they'll send. I have ours set to 9 in order to catch motion about 80 feet away. They also can be configured to be accessed remotely but again as stated, you would need to open a port on your router (using NAT or port forwarding).

Oh, and they are pan/tilt, remotely movable. No zoom, but they also have infrared. The negative is that any light changes (clouds over the sun, then back to sun) results in a motion detect. We've had days when we received 150 emails with pictures of our place with cloud shadows. You can, however, configure a schedule when the cameras will be off. The newest firmware also does sound detection.

First time setup requires a computer to plug in wired, then you can configure wireless. You also need to know how to configure the email services that it will send the pictures.

All in all, semi-difficult to set up, but once set up it's easy to access.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the way I do it from home. This method requires you have access to an old unused android smart phone though, and I have three or four old ones. Web Cam Using Smartphone
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rfinley
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this ??? I've used this with great results....
http://www.sebectec.com/download/index.htm

Here is one camera from Portsmouth NH
http://www.portsmouthwebcam.com/index.php/tugboats/

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Foscam camera's. For $60 they pack a whopping amount of functions.

What you are asking I do. The only difference is I have the camera's web enabled which requires your wireless router to be configured to have an open port. That is the tough part.

Go to the Foscam website, they have several nice video's on setting up their cams.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I am not aware of any webcam that will natively send still shots. Everything I have seen requires a computer of some sort - a Raspberry Pi or Arduino at a minimum.

If there is nothing wrong with viewing video - or being able to download a still image - you can do both with many existing webcams. Trendnet cameras are good for this.

If you can tell us some more about your use case - where you will view it from and on what, and what need you have for images versus video, etc, we can probably help you more.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I re-read your post. Mine doesn't take a picture. It records when it detects motion and saves to a server. You can access it realtime, or look back at saved video.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad