cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you sanitize your fresh-water tank and lines?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions that came with our rig use a lot of water. In scarce-water Colorado we do not want to use more than necessary. How do you do yours?
46 REPLIES 46

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo said:

โ€œDo you not feel the water heater needs disinfecting too? Some water sits in it all winter.โ€

If you want to disinfect it, just turn it on for an hour or twoโ€ฆ

3 tons

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, whatever you do to conserve water, to disinfect your water system, you need to wet all surfaces with the bleach solution, and keep it wet for about 4 hours. (Bleach doesn't kill bacteria instantly, it takes a certain amount of time.) That includes all surfaces of the fresh water tank, the water heater, and every water line in the RV, including the outside shower. I do this once a year, every spring when de-winterizing the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
Wow, lots of useless answers on how to use the least amount of water.

To the OP, try this:

Fill fresh water tank with 15 gallons of water and 1/2 cup household bleach.
Tow your trailer around for about 10-15 mins to slosh the bleach mixture around.
Bypass the water heater, then pump the mixture through the hot and cold water lines.
Leave mixture sit for a few hours then drain the tank and fully fill with water. Run the fresh water through each hot and cold line for 15-20 secs. You are done.

Works fine for me.

Do you not feel the water heater needs disinfecting too? Some water sits in it all winter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:

To the OP, try this:

Tow your trailer around for about 10-15 mins to slosh the bleach mixture around.
Bypass the water heater, then pump the mixture through the hot and cold water lines.
Leave mixture sit for a few hours then drain the tank and fully fill with water. Run the fresh water through each hot and cold line for 15-20 secs. You are done.

Works fine for me.

This is the answer. Include the low point drains.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Never done it in 14 years - I can visually see up close both ends of the fresh tank and it is still spotless

My eyes aren't as good as yours. I can't see bacteria.

3 tons wrote:
BTW, cith water has chlorine in it and apparently this is enough to do the jobโ€ฆ

All campgrounds don't have chlorinated water supplies.

OP, I think most folks, including myself, sanitize our RV water tanks periodically. Once or twice a year for me.

I use either bleach or Purogene. Bleach is cheap, but caustic as hell. Purogene is pricey but easy on people.

For a typical 50ppm bleach sanitize, it's 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gal of holding tank capacity and let sit for 4 hours. For a stronger (100 ppm) concentration, it's 1/2 cup bleach per 15 gal and let it sit 1 hour.

Finally, you'll probably get some interesting rationale from folks who never sanitize their water tanks like . . .

- "I haven't gotten sick yet." (Also a popular excuse for smokers.)

- "I used to drink out of a water hose when I was a kid" (What this has to do with tank sanitation still escapes me.)

Okay Fair enough (though from my perspective, a bit of myopic hyperbole :Rโ€ฆ), but we fill the tank before each outing with pre-chlorinated city water, and we drink only bottled R.O. (reverse osmosis) processed water, and if you care to think about it (whether at home or notโ€ฆ) chlorine is a very effective and economical water disinfectant which has benefited the entire world (especially, due to economics, the third world), but chlorine is also a known well established carcinogen (though this fact is mostly dismissed - possibly a mere case of ignorance is bliss??โ€ฆ), whereby the bulk of oneโ€™s exposure occurs through directly the derma (skin) when bathingโ€ฆ So in my view, rather than paint with such a broad brush (facts matter, eh?), in my judgement each person need be aware of this risk and (based on information) chose whatever the best informed option of their own choice - FWIW, this may contrary to conventional wholesale wisdomโ€ฆ

I would also add here that the chlorine in city water tends to evaporate from a storage tank in about 30 or so minutes, we see the same thing happening in swimming pools as wellโ€ฆ

Upon re-read, Techwriter also wrote: โ€œMy eyes aren't as good as yours. I can't see bacteria.โ€โ€ฆ..

Well, this migh surprise some but thereโ€™s about 2 billion bacteria within the human bodyโ€™s interstitial fluids alone, all of which are in circulation and are beneficial (by design, ingesting toxins)โ€ฆ Point being (ego aside - lol) is that we are all just another part of this vast biosphereโ€ฆ

Thanks in advance โ€˜for toleratingโ€™ this opposing point of viewโ€ฆ

3 tons

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use chlorine granules for pools. It takes very little and it does not have the "icky" taste that household bleach has. So, you don't have to rinse the tank after dumping the bleach-infused tank.

Add chlorine granules to some water and mix. Dump into the tank. Fill the tank partway - drive and slosh (or fill all the way and leave sit for a couple hours). Run through all the faucets until empty.

Add water for your trip as needed.

I do this when I first get an RV. After that, I only do it if I've left water in the tank for several months or I filled my tank from an unfamiliar water source.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny thing is I use to not sanitize and now I do. We got some bad water a few years ago.

I use 1 Step No Rinse sanitizer once a year now. The same thing I use for my brewing equipment.

Dissolve 2lbs in a 5 gallon jug. Add that to my 40gal tank, fill and let it sit overnight. Drain, refill and flush the lines.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

To the OP, try this:

Works fine for me.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hedgehopper wrote:
The instructions that came with our rig use a lot of water. In scarce-water Colorado we do not want to use more than necessary. How do you do yours?

Lol, what?
If 100 or 200 gallons pegs your environmental consciousness meter, Iโ€™d suggest trading for a Prius and a tent.
In the interest of actually sanitizing your tank, your tank you need to fill it full with water with whatever chemical you choose and then run it through the lines as well. And then itโ€™ll take a tank or 2 to flush. Although residual chlorine dissipates over time so you can use less flushing if you donโ€™t need to use the water tank for a period of time after sanitizing it.

Youโ€™re gonna use 2-3 tank full of water bout no matter how you slice it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I used the bleach method each spring. I carried separate drinking water. I used the water with bleach for toilet and doing the dishes. After refilling the tank water was okay to drink.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
I did when we were newbees but quit after a year or two. haven't sanitized the water system for 30+ years. to each their own.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not want to argue with anyone who wants to use their camper without sanitizing the tank. But the OP asked for instructions on how to do the sanitizing using minimal amount of water.

The recommended procedure is to use 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of water. Pump the solution through the supply lines and faucets.

Some people bypass the hot water tank. I do not. There have been numerous studies showing that Legionella bacteria can thrive in RV hot water tanks. Fortunately most of us tolerate exposure fairly well. I had a friend who got really sick and was hospitalized with it for several weeks. I also do not scrimp and I completely fill the FW tank.

There are all sorts of conflicting instructions regarding the soak time. The original studies showed one hour was sufficient, but it seems that it is common to recommend longer soak times including even overnight.

Rinsing out the bleach solution will require a considerable amount of additional water. I completely drain the FW tank and pull the plug to also drain the HW tank. Typically I fill the tanks with fresh water and then drain again. You could probably get rid of the excess bleach by only filling the tanks about a third full and then drain again. Once you have the tanks flushed out the bleach in the supply lines can be quickly pumped out.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I use "spring fresh" santizer, easier than chlorine to get any residual smell/taste out. I do it every spring. The rest of the camping season I drain fresh tank after each trip, fill before the trip.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Never done it in 14 years - I can visually see up close both ends of the fresh tank and it is still spotless

My eyes aren't as good as yours. I can't see bacteria.

3 tons wrote:
BTW, cith water has chlorine in it and apparently this is enough to do the jobโ€ฆ

All campgrounds don't have chlorinated water supplies.

OP, I think most folks, including myself, sanitize our RV water tanks periodically. Once or twice a year for me.

I use either bleach or Purogene. Bleach is cheap, but caustic as hell. Purogene is pricey but easy on people.

For a typical 50ppm bleach sanitize, it's 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gal of holding tank capacity and let sit for 4 hours. For a stronger (100 ppm) concentration, it's 1/2 cup bleach per 15 gal and let it sit 1 hour.

Finally, you'll probably get some interesting rationale from folks who never sanitize their water tanks like . . .

- "I haven't gotten sick yet." (Also a popular excuse for smokers.)

- "I used to drink out of a water hose when I was a kid" (What this has to do with tank sanitation still escapes me.)
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I follow the instructions - Bleach and a lot of water to rinse it out after the first fill and sit period.