cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how delicate and fussy are LFP batteries

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
well since there are some people that think if you look at your LFP batteries the wrong way that they're going to die, here is a good video with some insight on how much you have to baby them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znWo1sPVdM8

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
My set of GC2 were far more maintenance and care than the current LFP.

And much lower cost,
Heavier per watt hour
And have a totaly diferent "Run down" profile.

IN short. there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I have a LI powered flashlight... One time it worked perfectly next time no light... Inspiration struck and I dropped the battery in the x-Charger (Smart device that says "OH. LI pack. OK I know what to do with that) and sure enough the light worked again. The battery went from near full voltage to zero in dang near nothing flat.

Lead acid (and standard flashlight) it gets dim. and dimmer, and dimmest and then it fails.... But with the LI it was ON/OFF just like that.

This is actually a good thing.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
His charging is all solar for that battery--so he is not charging below the temperature at which lifepo4 can be safely charged. iirc he also says it is low rate--but doesn't specify a number. Too little data.

I also said that charging at -34 F doesn't work well for this chemistry.

Again LI are the cats meow except for truly cold weather.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
not much data. Too bad.

outdoor winter in Las Vegas would be long sleeved shirt for me.

not at night, the average low in December Jan and feb is from -3 (dec, -2jan, and -1 Feb.) It was there for 2.5 years, so it was south facing against a cement wall during the summer also so looking at the high temperature charging also. the main point is that for the two seasons it was charging and discharging outside what people have been saying will kill your battery very quickly if not immediately (yes even you are on record for saying that PT) what we saw in this video was a 6% loss in capacity for probably the worst-case scenario high temp at 100% capacity for storage.

but the more interesting part is the recommendations of using the full capacity with LifePO4 and charging to 100% for long term storage as the battery will calendar age out (20 to 30 years) before the normal person cycle ages it out
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
not much data. Too bad.

How does that saying go... Been there..... Done that. Yup.

Some companies (Battle born I think) Build heaters into the battery case so if it's Co-Co-Co-Cold out the heater kicks in and once it's up to temp the charger charges...

Some companies CLAIM they do that. (I should end it there but alas on another forum I have an agonizer who would point out that I should not assume you can figure out what I did not say so I will restate)

Some companies CLAIM they do.. but they don't and you can end up with damage.

Many companies do not make that claim at all. The LiFePO4's I have do not have heaters.. But they are small and easily brought into warmth.

The Battery Management system (Built into the battery's case) is very important for it prevents over charging. over heating and one hopes. Too cold charging.

Beyond that I understand those batteries are rather rugged.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My set of GC2 were far more maintenance and care than the current LFP.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
LFP are not sensitive but as a specific technology the require some specific application. They can use some older charges if that charger can meet the mfgr specs. Like any technology, they can be abused. FLA, AGM can also be abused. Try hooking up a single stage charger, leave it unattended and see what happens. Know what is needed and provide that. After we got ours set, we have not worried about them for even 1 sec. Easier than batts ya hafta water.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
not much data. Too bad.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a fan of bandwidth wasting videos. Can you summerise.

I do know that different makers do a better job on the Battery Manager built into the battery and that makes a big difference.