cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 3000 Problem

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Our 12 year old reliable, trouble free, Honda 3000 generator has started to give me and my wife a problem.

It has always powered our Dometic 13,500 AC unit fine when boondocking, but now shuts down a few minutes run time after the AC compressor starts.

Our AC unit runs fine when plugged into house or campground current.

We sure would appreciate some comments or suggestions as to what may be the problem with our Honda 3000.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
25 REPLIES 25

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I keep gas in it all the time. Always use Sta-Bil fuel conditioner. Try to start and run it at least once a month when not in use.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most airports and marinas sell e free gas. Our Race Tracs sell e free gas for boats in Fl.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Has it been stored with gas in the carb?

And do you use ethanol-free gas? Ethanol gas is hard on small engines.

Can you still buy ethanol-free gas?

Check from source if generator is still giving out the rated wattage.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

And do you use ethanol-free gas? Ethanol gas is hard on small engines.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Gracious, thanks for all the above suggestions.

Just had the cover off the AC a few days ago and blew/cleaned insides with air. Blades looked clean, although I did not take off the shroud. I will take it off and look again for crud.

The spark arrestor idea is something I will check.

I use the same 35 foot approved cord for 120ac house/pedestal current as for the generator and the AC and rest of the trailer works fine when everything is on, including frig and water heater.

Again, thanks so much for the suggestions and please, keep them coming if someone has experienced a similar condition with the Honda EU3000.
Thanks!
Mike

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
A voltage/amp meter will tell you alot with what's going on.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This may sound strange but have you Cleaned the Air Conditioner?

As they run. Most makes (Coleman is a partial exception) Crud builds up on the fan side of the condenser. as this builds up air flow is impeaded. as air flow is impeaded the unit heats up more and more. Pressure in the system increases. The compressor works harder and draws more power.. The CLUE is the "A few minutes".

The solution: remove outer cover (Shroud) and inner cover (on evap) clean the fan side.

On colemans they "SUCK" instead of "Blow" so the crud builds up on the OUTSIDE of the condeser. Remove cover. peal off. replace cover done.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage at or near the AC, if it is low then check at the generator to see if the loss is the wiring or the generator.

If you mean the generator shuts down, maybe the increased use of fuel when the AC is running causes the generator to overheat or the tank vent is not open.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Age slows us all down including generators.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
Have you cleaned the spark arrester in the muffler?