cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harbor Freight - what happened to the 20% off coupons

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight - what happened to the 20% off coupons and the "free" trinkets like little flashlights,etc. Haven't seen any of these coupons in a few months, at least in Florida .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
52 REPLIES 52

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
This morning I received an email from HF.... guess what, the free trinkets are back ! LED flashlight,masks,tarps. Not that I'm going to go for one on it's own, but if I should need something, I'll certainly take my freebie
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
And how many cordless tool ads are labeled "Tool Only" meaning you have to buy a battery separately? Example: 20v Hypermaxโ„ข Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 In. Drill/Driver - Tool Only $44.99. So you have to buy a battery - Cheapest is: 20v HyperMaxโ„ข Lithium-Ion 1.5 Ah Compact Battery for $22.99. Of course the battery is useless without a charger, cheapest is: 20v Hypermaxโ„ข Lithium-Ion Rapid Charger again, for $22.99. Now your up to $90.
No different than cordless tools at any other store/any other brand. I have quite a few Ryobi cordless tools; only a few of the combo packs actually include batteries and charger. Same thing with Makita, DeWalt, Craftsman, etc., which makes perfect sense; once you have a charger and 2-3 batteries, you certainly don't need a battery and charger for every single tool. That's kinda the point of having tools that use a common battery, isn't it?

I have quite a few HF tools, mostly hand tools, and have never had any of them break (lifetime warranty if they do) other than the tip of a small round-end allen wrench; which they replaced immediately. I also have several electric tools (not the cordless) that I am perfectly happy with, including an Bauer SDS Max demo hammer, Banks nail gun, Chicago Electric circular saw, and Fortress compressor. Now granted, I am not using them 8 hours a day to make a living, but I do all of my own maintenance on my RV, a Hummer, a car, wife's Tahoe, 3 PWC, 4 ATVs, 4 motorcycles, 3 trailers, and of course my home, not to mention working on my adult kids' stuff. Most of HF's hand tools are certainly better than today's "Craftsman", and cheaper to boot, and their higher end power tools are more than acceptable for non-commercial use. I also buy their Thunderbolt Alkaline batteries when they are on sale; they last just as long as Duracell or Energizer, at half the price.

If you go to their website, the "Instant Savings" section is where you can find the prices that corollate to what used to be "coupon" prices.

I have to believe that many of the Harbor Freight "naysayers" have likely not shopped HF lately, and instead are relying on what HF "used" to be/sell.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Harbor Freight - what happened to the 20% off coupons and the "free" trinkets like little flashlights,etc. Haven't seen any of these coupons in a few months, at least in Florida .

Get Harbor Freight's smartphone app. You'll often get the 20% coupon with the app.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I was hoping for a quick and dirty way to join >20 AWG conductors.
I'm not saying don't use them, just they are not allowed on current carrying conductor where I work.

We use THESE for current carrying conductors
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Since Craftsman crapped out, and I won't pay for Snapon, I have found the Pittsburg polished end wrenches are actually pretty decent quality. I do have to say that a former coworker got me hooked on Kobalt hand tools though.

Here in southern California Lowes has picked up and started selling Craftsman tools. So hopefully all is not lost.

New Craftsman = Garbage........Pull the split ring on a current Lowes "Craftsman" ratchet and compare the internal parts and pieces to an older, say early 2000's or earlier, version of a Craftsman ratchet. The Home Depot "Husky" brand or Hazard Fraught "Pittsburgh" brand may be a better built tool, but thats dependent on the current batch on the shelf and who they contracted with to manufacture them.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Lot of the URs were used by phone systems.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scotch-Lok, brings back memories from splicing at the telephone company.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Used these on many military projects for low voltage and control circuits.
3M UR Scotch Locks

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping for a quick and dirty way to join >20 AWG conductors. I wish true bronze terminals were available. I am lining up my work bench outfitting with permanently mounted mechanical and hydraulic hexagonal die tools to 1/0 but >95% of my terminal work now is 16-22 gauge. I am going to individually hang a solder gun and heat gun on a zero tool counterweight. Let's see if anyone else can chime in regarding the chinese terminals.

Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Sorta related...

Has anyone tried out these types of terminals off eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/500-50PCS-Waterproof-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Terminals-Solder-Seal-Sleeve-Wire-Con...

Yes, an electric heat gun is mandatory.
Not off eBay.
We use them at work to solder a drain wire on the braid of shielded cables. We are not allowed to use them for conductor to conductor splicing. The workmanship can't be inspected and the flux can't be cleaned off.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Will be interesting to see what happens. Are new craftsmen tools being made? Or is lowes just selling off the inventory?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Since Craftsman crapped out, and I won't pay for Snapon, I have found the Pittsburg polished end wrenches are actually pretty decent quality. I do have to say that a former coworker got me hooked on Kobalt hand tools though.

Here in southern California Lowes has picked up and started selling Craftsman tools. So hopefully all is not lost.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mexicowanderer: Problem the large kits they contain a lot of small gauge IE red terminals. I don't use very many of the small size so it is a waste, for me anyway.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sorta related...

Has anyone tried out these types of terminals off eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/500-50PCS-Waterproof-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Terminals-Solder-Seal-Sleeve-Wire-Con...

Yes, an electric heat gun is mandatory.