cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ham Radio in a new Wrangler

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
My ham radio plate is on the front, but looking for suggestions on how to place the antenna, and what antenna to use for a mobile rig.

Brand new JK Sahara Unlimited with the hard top.

Rig is a 50 watt Yeasu
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What band and what body style?

HF antennas the Screwdrive on a rear mount (YOu may need to do somne custom metal work)

VHF.UHF let me tell you how I once mounted a CB antenna on a car without drilling ANY holes.

First cable routed through the firewall using existin grommet.

Then I had a bracket shaped kind of like the following
. .__
__! Disregard the periods they are space holders,

The two flat pieces had holes drilledm the bottomn one matched the diamater of a fender mnounting boltm the top one the antenna mnount. IT was bolted on using an EXISTING fender mount bolt so the upright camne up between fender and hood cable exited engine conmpartment next to bracket (no pinching that way) and .. Well you can figure out the rest, .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks... appreciate the answers.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I picked up a couple of these windshield area light mounts from the JEEPS SALES Catalogs...

My 99 Jeep Wrangler was already drilled with these mounting holes...

I mounted a dual band 2M/440 antenna in the light mounting hole on each side of the Jeep windshield.

I previously had been using a windshield pass through glass antenna but this outside mount was far superior...

I use the COMET SSB-7 Dual band whip antenna

Roy Ken
K9PHT Virginia
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
I'm recommending you mosey over to QRZ.com . Go to the Forums then select Technical section. Great resources there. Good luck.

de N5...

x2

The antenna depends and what bands you are using. I have a 2M mobile and had marginal luck with a 1/4 wave antenna on a fender mount then went to a longer 5/8 wave Larsen antenna which has a much further range.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I'm recommending you mosey over to QRZ.com . Go to the Forums then select Technical section. Great resources there. Good luck.

de N5...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i struggled with the same probkem in my soft top '03 TJ. i finally mounted the radio body in the 'trunk' and the control head on an articulated Lido mount attached to a slanted flat spot to the left of the shifter and ahead of the parking brake lever. i use a strip of velcro along the top of the control head and another along the bottom edge of the upper dashboard to keep the control head from shaking and vibrating while in motion. the control and power cables were easily run to the 'trunk' and into the engine compartment. i mounted a dual-band Larsen glass-mount antenna on the top center of the windshield in a spot outside the arc of the wndshield wipers. the cable is tucked almg the top of the windshield. the speaker is mounted along the top just below where the soft top secures to the chassis. works well but it's a compromise. sorry, no pictures with us as we're on vacation.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle