cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

guardian 5500 rv Generac generator problems

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
so it won't start. gas seems to be good and gas was in float bowl. primer pump is working. i rebuilt carb, seemed clean.

cranks over fine, did some other testing, made sure there was gas going to float bowl. and there is, watched it flow out. used some starting fluid in the air filter hole and it ran as long as i was squirting some in every few seconds. so it is not a spark or compression issue. it seems like, assuming the carb is clean, which i think it is cause i cleaned it, it can only be the float, which appeared to be working fine when i had it off,,, or there is this silinoid on the bottom of the float bowl with a red wire going to it, it looks like it turns the main jet on and off. i canm't imagine it going bad but beginning to wonder, anyone have any thoughts on that selinoid that opens and closes the main jet?
10 REPLIES 10

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
garyemunson wrote:
Generac carbs have very small jets that are easily plugged by gas drying out in the float bowl. Very hard to clean them without making them larger. Why they are considered expendable items.

when i cleaned the carbs, the jet on the main did not looked plugged at all, and the jet from the top also did not loook plugged, and the long jet, that has the little holes in the sides, also looked good. any thoughts on where to buy jets if they are bad?

A larger propane dealer meaning for domestic or motor fuel

Their mechanics have hand drills that go down to danged near human hair size. A bad jet is a jet that inside changes direction abruptly. Or has been damaged by tampering. Generac is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Darryl&Rita wrote:
rockwind1 wrote:
anyone know anything about that selinoid that is on the bottom of the float bowl, it must open the main jet

Isn't that a float switch for the fuel pump?

i don't think so, it shuts fuel on and off to the main jet of the carb. some said it is to prevent backfires when shutting off generator, which makes sense.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
anyone know anything about that selinoid that is on the bottom of the float bowl, it must open the main jet

Isn't that a float switch for the fuel pump?
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ok, up date in case anyone with same problem googles this thread. the solenoid on the bottom can get gas in there that just sits and it gets sticky. 2 3/4 inch wrenches and you disconnect it from the jet houseing, spray with carb cleaner until it starts moving easily. you can't do this unless you unscrew the jet housing. jump across battery to make sure it will magnetically suck the plunger back in and hold it in. problem solved! generator started right up.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same generator in my mh. 1800+ hours on it and it has been very reliable, that is until about 3 weeks ago. Tried to start it for it's monthly maintenance run. Would crank, but wouldn't start. Sounded like fuel pump wasn't getting gas. Changed oil to be sure it was at correct level. Still no start. Anyway, went on camping trip last weekend and when I pulled into campground, decided to try the generator to run a/c, because it was hot, till I could get to hooking up electric. Pushed the button and it fired right up.

My suspicion was that the gas pickup in the tank may have been clogged and that the drive to the campground shook the debris off.

The only other suggestion is to be sure the battery(s) are fully charged. Mine has difficulty starting if batteries are not fully charged.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyemunson wrote:
Generac carbs have very small jets that are easily plugged by gas drying out in the float bowl. Very hard to clean them without making them larger. Why they are considered expendible items.

when i cleaned the carbs, the jet on the main did not looked plugged at all, and the jet from the top also did not loook plugged, and the long jet, that has the little holes in the sides, also looked good. any thoughts on where to buy jets if they are bad?

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Upper has different stipduck for other application.

Remove 1 sparkplug

Connect spark plug wire

Lay spark plug on its side contacting metal

You will be looking for a tiny spark jumping on the other end

That will end the spark question

what is the other application? and the upper doesn't have a dipstick. i was wondering if the upper oil fill had something to do with the low oil safety shutting off spark. i meant to do that, check the spark, but it looks almost impossible to get the spark plugs out

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Generac carbs have very small jets that are easily plugged by gas drying out in the float bowl. Very hard to clean them without making them larger. Why they are considered expendible items.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Upper has different stipduck for other application.

Remove 1 sparkplug

Connect spark plug wire

Lay spark plug on its side contacting metal

You will be looking for a tiny spark jumping on the other end

That will end the spark question