cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good cam locks, not too expensive?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought a set of tubular cam locks for hatches. Infamous Camco brand. Junk. Quality of $8.50 locks is at par with Ebay offbrand cr.apola that you pay 90 cents for. They should be put in front of a firing squad on the next lunch break (if they have lunch breaks in Shanghai). Together with the US middlemen/importers.

2 out of 3 locks can't be installed at all, one is barely functional.

Big nut holding cylinder to the door is so loose that you can pull it off the threads without twisting - in other words, you can pull the cylinder out.
Locking "arm" has a square hole so small that it doesn't fit the square boss on the cylinder, had to file the hole wider.

Past return window, lost $25.

Any source for better cam locks? You know, those with tubular keys. Have found these guys https://shoprvlocks.com/ - formerly ch751.com, double cost compared to Camco. Quality... have no idea. "Assembled in the USA" could simply mean putting the cylinder and locking arm together.
14 REPLIES 14

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Quality and the very idea that the item that they make should actually "work", are not a part of the scheme. From where I'm standing, this is a criminal mindset. Didn't want to go there.
I think it's just a capitalism mindset. "If you can sell it cheaper, they will buy it." Quality is secondary.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If mine took cam locks I would change them out with thumb turns.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why pay more money for a barrel lock than a flat key lock? They are both equally impotent at providing security for the basement/storage doors. The only thing the barrel locks might do is pique the curiosity of someone enough they pop the door open with a medium screwdriver. Why ever would a thief bother with a key when a screwdriver is faster, and the noise isn't that much. Those doors deform very easy.

I can certainly understand wanting all doors keyed the same, but any lock is only as secure as the material surrounding it. And I don't think thieves wander around the campground checking locks. You're more at risk when the unit is in storage, where the risk of a little noise is pretty much a non-issue. Almost all thefts I've heard of took place when the trailer was not being used.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has just checked Rvlocksandmore - they only have locks with regular flat key.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Barrel locks can be picked faster than key locks.

Why? The mechanism is the same. Also barrel keys are a little less common, less chance for an opportunist wandering around and trying doors with his flat RV key. I realize that this door can be easily broken into, just throw a rock heavy enough, but this means an effort, noise, determination.

Mex - well put about rubbing the windshield. Totally alien conscience. Quality and the very idea that the item that they make should actually "work", are not a part of the scheme. From where I'm standing, this is a criminal mindset. Didn't want to go there.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My screwdriver trumps your barrel locks.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a Laurel & Hardy piece where Stan pulls off the steering wheel and hands it to Oliver.

This is why I get so frustrated with Mexico and the USA. Like having a brother-in-law that declares "I'm going to be a big wheel or remain unemployed".

The mindset of pure PLA operated Chinese factories is as foreign as it gets. i.e. to clean a windshield, rub it with a cloth -- automatically clean. No need to look and see. Not part of the scheme.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:

Why bother?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The issue is with RV construction not the locks. They can all be defeated with a simple pry bar. Sort of like trying to lock a cardboard box.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have replaced all of mine with These ,they can all be keyed alike so I only have one key for everything. Just pick the size and how many you want.

I also like that they have a cover on the key slot that moves when you insert the key,thus keeping all grime out.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live with standard type keys they are radially available at your local hardware or building supply store.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try Rvlocksandmore. I was happy with the stuff I got from them.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well Amazon has a selection.
Scroll down to see a number of other brands. Have no idea which one is better than the others.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper