cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting generator to idle high for small appliances.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 Arctic Fox 1150 with a 4500W propane generator. I believe it is an Onan, but don't quote me. It is the brand that has to crank for about 10 seconds before it fires up.

My problem is that it idles down without a load and won't run my coffee pot. I can run my A/C, Microwave, and coffee maker at the same time with no trouble, but in order for the coffee maker to make a pot in under an hour, I need to run something else. If I turn on my microwave, the pot brews in just a few minutes.

It seems like there should be something can do besides add a load to run the coffeemaker. The truth is that it is faster to heat water in the microwave and pour it through the filter. This isn't a major deal, just wonderin'.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.
19 REPLIES 19

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Not picking on you. But I like to know what I am working with. Would you go to a doctor and tell him you hurt. But not say where.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Also should not have to crank for 10 mins to get it started regardless if Onan, Generac or whatever brand.
Just to be clear, it is seconds, not minutes. I remember reading in the manual when I got it that there is a delay to build oil pressure.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS wrote:
j-d glad your unit is running ok. I still stop in at times. But it is questions like this that drove all the Gentechs away. From this site.Ask for help but never tell anyone what they have. I refuse to give an answer unless I know what I am working with.

Nice to hear from you. I am over at smokstak most days.
That's fine if you feel that way, but admonishing people who don't post "the right way" doesn't lead to the type of camaraderie I like to see here.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
TEXAS wrote:
Prime reason you need model and serial number. 9 guesses and that is all they are. Because no one has any idea what you have.

Amen, Brother! OP tossed out the question and nothing since. Time for the rest of us to chill. Good to hear from you! I'm thankful for your help with our 4KY Spec K every time I run it.
Seriously? It has been 48 hours since the original post. Maybe I was out camping.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
.. in order for the coffee maker to make a pot in under an hour, I need to run something else. If I turn on my microwave, the pot brews in just a few minutes.
Do you mean you leave the MW on while it's brewing?

Yes, I meant that if I ran the microwave while brewing, the coffee maker goes quicker.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS wrote:
Prime reason you need model and serial number. 9 guesses and that is all they are. Because no one has any idea what you have.
There's certainly a more polite way to say this.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for those who have helped. As a long time member on this board, I'm a little disappointed in the admonishments. I admit that details are helpful, but sometimes the answer doesn't require that detail. Sometimes the answer is a basic principle like, "sounds like you need to have it serviced."

I have no idea when it was last serviced, but it sounds like that is what is in order.

P.S. My computer quit and I just got it replaced.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
j-d glad your unit is running ok. I still stop in at times. But it is questions like this that drove all the Gentechs away. From this site.Ask for help but never tell anyone what they have. I refuse to give an answer unless I know what I am working with.

Nice to hear from you. I am over at smokstak most days.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS wrote:

Amen, Brother! OP tossed out the question and nothing since. Time for the rest of us to chill. Good to hear from you! I'm thankful for your help with our 4KY Spec K every time I run it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Generac Impact 36LP this is the service manual, but this generator is only 3400 Watts (3.4 KW) not the 4400 Watts you noted.

Please check to make sure you meant 4400 and not 3400. Here's a pic of Impact 36LP. Yours look like it?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
.. in order for the coffee maker to make a pot in under an hour, I need to run something else. If I turn on my microwave, the pot brews in just a few minutes.
Do you mean you leave the MW on while it's brewing?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2000 Arctic Fox 5er, and if they used the same generator, it is the Generac Impact 36. It is an inverter generator, and will idle down with lighter loads, just like my Hondas do. It should definitely give power to the coffee pot at idle. I took mine out and use my Hondas, they are MUCH quieter and don't eat up my propane. Other than not starting well, I had no problems with that Generac.
It would be cheapest to buy a Killawatt meter and then check it. Those can be a good troubleshooting tool.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK "idles down without a load". Should NOT ever be a concern with any genset. That means, odds are, depending on the brand/model, the IDLE screw is NOT adjusted for correct idle speed. You really need it checked by a professional, to get the system and speed/voltage in the correct range. Thanks for a good chuckle. "I have the brand that takes 10 seconds to start":B THAT really narrows it down:B Doug