cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Shutdown - Weid Event

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am brand new to this RV and mobile home thing. My dad had a 5th wheel but I never really used it. We just purchased a 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT. We have had it parked at the house the last few days learning the systems and putting stuff in it preparing for a short trial run. Been very hot and humid here in south Texas. Have been running the generator so we can have Air Conditioning.

So here is what happened this morning. First the house batteries were drained. I had plugged in to a 120 volt 15 amp plug to keep the batteries charged last night. I did turn on the refrigerator to let it run over night just to see how it does. I did turn on the Inverter but nothing else was turned on. Latter in the day I found the breaker had tripped on that 15 amp circuit. I assume refrigerator caused that since that same circuit has flood lights and a small refrigerator on it. I assume this caused the batteries to drain. But that is not the weird part.

I started the RV engine and got the generator started. Got the aircon going on both units. Refrigerator was still on as well as inverter. Things seemed to be working ok. Figured the house batteries would recharge. After about an hour the generator shut down. I happened to
be standing outside by the RV. I heard a noise from the forward aircon unit and a lot of water surged out from the unit and down the side of the RV. I went inside and the interior lights were flashing and then all went dark.

Well house batteries were not charged yet. So started the engine. And tried to restart the generator. Took a good bit of cranking but it finally started. Turned on both aircon units Turned off refrigerator and turned off the inverter. The generator ran all day now without a hitch.

However, the front aircon unit does not feel like it is cooling like it should. It is cooling but not well. It was very hot today and sitting in the sun.

House batteries charged to 2/3 during the day. In the afternoon I discovered the tripped 15 amp circuit.

The generator is still hard to start. Cranked it 3 times this afternoon to get it to start.

What the heck happened. Is something broke? Could not find any tripped breakers in the RV.
12 REPLIES 12

rentman99
Explorer
Explorer

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Running 2 AC units and more on a 4K gen sounds like you have overloaded it.

rentman99
Explorer
Explorer

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may have missed this, but do you have a gas, diesel, what KW generator?
Remember that utility line (shore cable) is disconnected from coach by transfer switch when genny is running. (assuming genny c/b's are on )

rentman99
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the condenser on the AC is still working? You could be feeling just the fan blowing without the condensor doing it's job. The start/run capacitor may be blown. A visual inspection would likely show a blown capacitor.

They're cheap. Buy two and keep a spare. It's an easy fix, and they go out all the time, especially in the heat when you need the AC the most.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have an energy management system that might keep the front compressor cycled off when using the generator?

You need to check actual battery voltages. Forget that 1/3rd 2/3rds indicator when you have troubles.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

Try to stick with one power source. Generator or utility or inverter

In the mean time get your batteries charged.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not sure what the Air conditioner issue is you said it dumped a lot of water outside (it is supposed to dump outside)
Main problem with A/C is Dirt. Dirty filters (inside) limit air flow and increase the odds of icing of the evaporator coils

Dirty condenser coils (the side you can't see on most makers) prevent the dumping of heat to the outside and reduce cooling.

You never said the generator cut out that I found in 3 reads may have missed it

Did it damage the A/C. Likely not>

GFCI's trip for one reason. imbalance of power hot and neutral. this is to protect you should you become a 'Return" path.

Generator hard to start: YES if you do not follow the proper procedure..

Per the manual
Hold stop button like 30 seconds (or till the light comes on.. assuming the light works (Mine does not) Hold it a bit longer in fact this fires up yer old fuel pump.
(where I usually hop in)
Wait a few seconds then push start Just a short push

Wait like 30 seconds and hold start for up to 30 seconds. if not running wait 30 seconds and try again 30/30 Usually it starts on the 2nd try for me. Very very rarley on the 1st or 3rd
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
would not be surprised if the AC, just iced up, that would block airflow and cooling.
As for generator, it may well have, vapor locked. They are air cooled and not big fans of sitting on asphalt, in 100 degree heat. My thought let things cool down, ice melt and all maybe fine. As for the GFI, could just be old and weak, try replacing it.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If the house batteries get run down, the generator will stop. It requires 12V o run the control circuitry. The generator itself will not charge the batteries. It needs the converter or an inverter/charger to do that.

The generator shutting off should not hurt the A/C units. Now, if the generator was surging or the power was cycling on and off quickly, then the A/C might be damaged. Usually the damage would result in no cooling (as in burned out compressor) as opposed to reduced cooling.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Fridge 300-400 watts
Inverter draws from house batteries if it is not a pass through type how much it draws depends on the load. But can be up to 2000 watts
Converter can draw up to around 1100 watts or so I'm told again depending on how big it is. that's 10 amps

If the inverter was drawing on the battereies and they were not full up then the converter was likely drawing the full 10 amps. another 3 for the fridge and 1 for the small fridge and likely 3 for the floodlights (1.5 each) and you are at 17 amps.. Very close to the Click of darkness You said the breaker was 15.

It adds up faster than you think.

Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure that is what tripped my 15 amp house breaker. We have constant issues with that GFCI circuit tripping anyway. Not sure why it is so easy to trip.

What I am more concerned with is why the generator suddenly shut down. And did it damage the air conditioner.

Would such an event cause an air conditioner to lose only some of its cooling power?? Hard to see how that could happen.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fridge 300-400 watts
Inverter draws from house batteries if it is not a pass through type how much it draws depends on the load. But can be up to 2000 watts
Converter can draw up to around 1100 watts or so I'm told again depending on how big it is. that's 10 amps

If the inverter was drawing on the battereies and they were not full up then the converter was likely drawing the full 10 amps. another 3 for the fridge and 1 for the small fridge and likely 3 for the floodlights (1.5 each) and you are at 17 amps.. Very close to the Click of darkness You said the breaker was 15.

It adds up faster than you think.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about why the generator might suddenly shut down. Also why a lot of water might suddenly be relwased from that air conditioner. That air conditioner is new and just put on. If it is not draining properly and water ponds under it could it cause a short?? Would that cause the generator to shut down?? Seems like a breaker should trip though.