cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GENERAC GENERATOR ISSUE

SeligL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Generac generator in my 1995 Damon Intruder (GN-480 Q-55).

If I prime it on the gennie it starts and runs fine for about 1-2 minutes then quits, however if I keep prime switch down or press it for 3 secs every 1-2 minutes it runs fine.
Gennie is providing power as fridge and lights go on after a few seconds and I switch breakers on.

I replaced the fuel pump and filter (no change in symptoms)
Gas tank is full.
Same symptoms if I disconnect the low oil & temp sensors.
I replaced the Prime rocker switch as it was cracked (the one I used has three positions and will stay ON unless switch to OFF). Thinking back I attached the 3 wires in what I thought was correct order but now I'm wondering if I could possibly have connected the 3 wires incorrectly.

Should the fuel pump run continuously (I presume YES)? Should the control board take over the fuel pump once prime switch is released.

Is it harmful to keep the Prime switch on?

I was going to clean carb but someone suggested that is unlikely given symptoms, however I am willing to try anything as I am reluctant to delve into control board issues at this point.

Thanks for any help.
20 REPLIES 20

SeligL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks oldwizard1.

Iโ€™ve been thinking of tackling the carb but does it seem likely that itโ€™s the carb if it runs while fuel pump is on via Prime? Iโ€™m thinking itโ€™s likely that the fuel pump is not on if Prime is off.

I presume if thatโ€™s the case itโ€™s something in the Control Board, but Iโ€™m hoping there is something simple that I can fix to get fuel pump to run when Start is on without Prime.

Can you or someone else please clarify:
When Start pressed fuel pump should run
Does the Control board take over this function or should the fuel pump be on directly from the Start switch.

What does Prime do other than energize the fuel pump? Does it also activate the choke?

Iโ€™m not sure I can fix this if itโ€™s the Circuit board.

Thanks for your help.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The most common carburetor problem with small gasoline engines is a clogged primary/idle air or fuel passage/jet. The only way to repair this is remove the carburetor and disassemble it. Carburetor cleaning spray, even once it is disassembled is not adequate to clean the tiny passages. You need a set of fine wires/brushes. Sold on Amazon.

SeligL
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestion. Iโ€™ll try that.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you have figured out that it is the wires on the rocker switch? Otherwise I would put a multimeter on the positive wire to the fuel pump and see if it loses power when the prime switch is released. No power to the fuel pump might indicate a control board issue.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

SeligL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that suggestion.

I have tried both from main and Auxillary tank.

I replaced hose from T junction to pump and from metal tube to carb

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
The gas line from the main tank to the generator has probably deteriorated and sucking air into the fuel line for the generator.
If you remove the fuel line going to the pump and try to siphon gas from the main tank you will probably see air bubbles and the line will not maintain a siphon.
You can also supply gas to the pump from another tank to see if the gen continues to run after it starts.

Do not remove the carb, that is not the problem.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It