Did you mean:ย 

Fusing REQUIRED?

red31
Explorer
Explorer
consider 6A Isc panels with 10g wire

parallel 3, 1.56 x 6A x 2 = 19A

parallel 4, 1.56 x 6A x 3 = 28A

with lower amp panels, one does not need to fuse until 10g rating is exceeded by the number of paralleled less one?
8 REPLIES 8

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Few of us fuse panels. Run them in series to avoid amperage issues.

Full sun always?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to install a manual trip circuit breaker between panels and charge controller. You may need to interrupt power from the panels at some time and a breaker with manual trip is made for that.

Bussmann manual reset CB
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Fusing makes for more connections, and in turn more resistence, not to speak of more places for corrosion.
No need to fuse panels, period !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't remember the name of the fuse maker company that has that link to how to fuse panels. We used that link a few years ago for this topic.

Found it---
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/technical-literatur...

It is with more than three strings in parallel that you need to fuse the strings--see page 7 of 35 in that link.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/how-properly-fuse-solar-pv-system
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Few of us fuse panels. Run them in series to avoid amperage issues.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Technically each panel has a fuse rating. 15 amps is typical but check the specs. To protect the panel during some internal short you should have fuses on each panel as they enter the combiner box if the total exceeds the fuse rating. Most people seem to skip this.

For the main feed down to the controller there is no fuse needed as the wire chosen would always have the ampacity of the full solar array. Although some install a breaker or switch to cut power for easier service. Removing a fuse is also an option to break the circuit.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Are you asking if larger wire means you don't need fuses? Not a solar expert, but I'd say no.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP