cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace using too much propane

allersj
Explorer
Explorer
This all happened last spring, but I never addressed the issue. Our first day/night of camping was chilly. When we got to the camper, the temperature was about 50 degrees. I started the furnace, we went out to dinner, and by the time we got back, the camper was comfortable. For sleeping, I set the thermostat at 65. The temperature that night got down to 30. We awoke at 5am freezing. We were out of gas. I was positive that the tank had been full, but was cold enough to not care at the time. I went out and switched over to the other tank. Heat came back on. The temperature that day got to 65. The furnace didn't run much at all. That night got down to 30 again and I woke this time at 4am, once again freezing. I was pretty sure that my second tank was full, but admittedly I didn't check it the previous morning. I luckily had a spare 3rd tank. I know this one was full. I connected that and got the heat back on. Fast forward to the next (early) morning, and that tank is now empty as well. I went through 3 thirty pound tanks in 3 nights. The long weekend was over and our next trip back wasn't for a few weeks, so the weather was warmer. The remainder of of camping that year, we used electric heaters as needed. I leak checked all the connections and all the pipes. Nothing. The other two other things in our camper that use gas are the hot water heater and the stove. We used those for the whole summer and only went through 1 thirty pound tank.

So, here's what I know: the furnace alone is the culprit. But what I don't know is why. If it's a gas leak, it's only when the furnace is running. But it seems like if there was a gas leak right there at the furnace, something would have ignited. (Insert "shudder" here) Could something cause a furnace to run so inefficiently that it would use that much gas?

I'm going to guess that the number one suggestion will be "You should take it in." Because that would be my suggestion. There's a few reasons that's not going to happen: it's very difficult to get it out of its permanent site, the trailer is not plated, the nearest repair place is over an hour away, I wouldn't trust the tires to go 10 miles, etc. Also, I'm somewhat handy, so if the options are taking it someplace or installing a new furnace, I'd chose the latter. And I do feel that if I know what I need to fix, clean, or replace I could do it myself. I just don't know what to look for or where to start. I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
55 REPLIES 55

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What would cause the furnace to use more propane?

There are several answers. MOST of them are "Maintenance" issues
Some there might be an obstruction in the flame/exhaust path. this would reduce the ability of the furnace to heat. It might also cause an OVERTEMP shutdown or a fire so that's a serious one.

A better guess is air/fuel mixture (Air gate) it is adjustable.. now I know how to adjust it but.. I'm not comfortable giving instructions READ THE FINE MANUAL or better yet an even better manual or ask someone who knows. It's easy you need basically a screwdriver (Phillips on mine) fingers eyes and ears.

Last (This is not the furnace) Air leaks and/or poor insulation on the "House" (RV in this case)... A drafty house burns more propane.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know but if any storage doors were open or inside vents open all the way it doesn't help. the thermostat only turned down to 65 at night and during the day if the thermostat is calling for heat at times doesn't help either. I can see how the heater could burn up a lot of gas in a night.
You could call a mobile repair person to check it if you are not comfortable doing that.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
The furnace runs,cycles, and puts out heat just fine.

Do the other appliances also work fine - water heater, stove, refrigerator?
I am not sure that the furnace could actually technically run through a full tank in such a short time, and still cycle / work correctly without any obvious side effects.
And I can not believe a leak big enough for this to happen could go unnoticed.

Are you positively sure that the tanks were actually empty? Is there a possibility they were filled with pure butane (which does not evaporate below freezing)?
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

allersj
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Fair enough. However if 2x, 3x the propane is being used.... that would be a HUGE leak.

I 100% agree. And since there is no smell of gas, I can only assume that the furnace is burning it inefficiently. The furnace runs,cycles, and puts out heat just fine.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fair enough. However if 2x, 3x the propane is being used.... that would be a HUGE leak.

allersj
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
That is a lot of propane. How big is the RV?

I would check the ducting to verify the heat is all getting to the living space and not lost to some compartment or to the exterior. Unfortunately much could be hidden so check the volume of air. Yes if it will be close to freezing or below we run a space heater continuous to supplement the furnace.

If there is a leak the most likely place is the regulator. If it is over 5 years old it would be OK to just replace it. Also the regulator should switch cylinders automatic so there is no waking up freezing and running outside to change cylinders. Check the indicator and fill every day if needed during a cold spot.

I prefer the Cavagna brand regulator. ***Link Removed***
Get new pigtails at the same time.

The camper is a 36'. The furnace has never had a problem in the past keeping the camper warm in these temps and going through that amount of propane.

There is no issue with ducting. All of them discharge as they should. We have a space heater in there, but never had a need to use it. The furnace was more than adequate.

The regulator is fairly new. It's not as nice as the one you sent me, but there are no leaks on it. Nor any on the pigtails or the tank valves or the gas lines.

allersj
Explorer
Explorer
I should also note that we have camped years prior during cold spells in this unit, and it had never used propane like this.

allersj
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Average RV heater uses about 1/3 gallon of fuel an hour. 30* weather? More than that. A 30 pound tank is 7 gallons. Expect only 14 hours out of a tank in those conditions.

It only got that cold at night. I'd say I went through a 30lb tank in about 7 hours. Also, the furnace would run, heat up the camper, then shut off. It wasn't running non-stop.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Two easy suggestions:
1. Check the color of the flame. It should be blue. Orange flame means too much air. That can be adjusted.

2. Check all pipe connections with soapy spray to see it there are any leaks.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a lot of propane. How big is the RV?

I would check the ducting to verify the heat is all getting to the living space and not lost to some compartment or to the exterior. Unfortunately much could be hidden so check the volume of air. Yes if it will be close to freezing or below we run a space heater continuous to supplement the furnace.

If there is a leak the most likely place is the regulator. If it is over 5 years old it would be OK to just replace it. Also the regulator should switch cylinders automatic so there is no waking up freezing and running outside to change cylinders. Check the indicator and fill every day if needed during a cold spot.

I prefer the Cavagna brand regulator. Amazon $100
Get new pigtails at the same time.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Average RV heater uses about 1/3 gallon of fuel an hour. 30* weather? More than that. A 30 pound tank is 7 gallons. Expect only 14 hours out of a tank in those conditions.