cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water gate valve leak

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
So it looks like my new to me rv has a fresh water gate valve issue. Its leaking where the black gate valve meets the white drain pipe. The valve itself says abs so im assuming its glued to the white pipe. any one have a good trick on getting this old valve off. i'd like to replace with new but have no clue how to break this thing free? the brand on it says bristol.

17 REPLIES 17

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the enlarged phot I am thinking that a sealant was used between the fitting and tank. Looks almost like Dicor.
That is a threaded connection between the white PVC and flange on the tank.
Being white, the tank is probably polyethylene and not easy to repair with most sealants.

My Grand Design has a 1 1/2" valve for dumping the fresh water.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
The white connection is a different color than the spin-welded flange, and has ridges on it, suggesting that it is screwed into the tank flange. Have you tried backing it out using a large pipe wrench?

I kind of wondered that myself, but enlarging the OPs photo it looks like the threaded portion is slightly embedded into the different color of the plastic and there is no "nubs" on the light portion on the tank..

Click For Full-Size Image.

Compare to a spin on flange..

Click For Full-Size Image.

Makes me wonder if the plastic that when heated changed color some when it was spun..

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The white connection is a different color than the spin-welded flange, and has ridges on it, suggesting that it is screwed into the tank flange. Have you tried backing it out using a large pipe wrench?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to carefully cut away and scrape down the fitting flush with the tank and install a spin weld patch, then drill and spin weld a new fitting near the patch. The fittings and patches are really cheap. The problem is the the tools that hold the patches and fittings are size specific and each one it very expensive. They have 1/4 inch shanks and are to be chucked into a router to spin them at over 20,000 RPMs to melt the plastic fuzing them to the tank.

I have some links I can give for sources for the fittings and patches. I might even have sources for the tools. I'll post them later as I need to find them and I need to get some sleep my muscle relaxer is kicking in.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could use something like this if your fingers are nimble enough.
Use a good sealant like urethane with bolts through tank. Hardest part would be getting bolts or nuts installed.
spigot flange

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at those Gdetrailer.. or something similar.. i went ahead and used some jb water weld to see if that fixes it. i can see a very fine small crack so i figured id try that first. i also found these type of compression fittings used for repairing fresh water tanks. use a hole saw to cut out old connection and use these. may try if jb wter weld doesnt fix it.

https://www.recpro.com/universal-fresh-water-fittings-installation-kit-with-sensors-for-pvc-pipe/

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rycher wrote:
it is inch and a half pipe. 1 1/2 .

and i felt inside the hole and there is no connection up in the tank..looks to be spun weld.

From your pix, it is either spun welded or glued in..

If you had an extra large opening on top of the tank you could cut off and replace the damaged fitting with a replacement bulkhead tank fitting..

The replacement bulkhead fittings use a rubber gasket on both inside and outside of the tank.. But to use them you have to have an opening large enough to get the replacement bulkhead fitting inside the tank..

So, unless you want to make a top opening (which would also need a bulkhead fitting to close it off when done) your options are to find someone that does plastic welding or has the equipment to spin weld a new fitting in place.

Fair chance that large gate valve contributed to the demise of that fitting..

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check to see if there is someone local that welds plastic.
Might look into something like this flange

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
it is inch and a half pipe. 1 1/2 .

and i felt inside the hole and there is no connection up in the tank..looks to be spun weld.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Unscrew and remove the cap you just install. As best you can (camera, mirror, by feel), check the inside of the tank to see of the leaking connector is also held in-place by a screwed on ring to a connector that also is threaded.

They may have used a male threaded connector inserted into the tank with a ring (and hopefully non unglued gasket) to tighten the connecter to the tank. They may have used only a silicone type bond to seal it on the outside.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What size is the pipe?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
i was able to unscrew the valve from the white connection body.. i screwed in a cap with some plumbers tape, filled up some water and it was still leaking. looks like its leaking from the actual connection at the base. red arrow in pic.. not good. any idea how to fix this. can i epoxy? can i have a new connection spun weld? any help is greatly appreciated.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
To replace the valve, undo the four bolts. The tank side hub will stay in place. You can the feel inside the hub to see if it is threaded or glued. You do not have to replace the tank side hub but just the valve assembly.
Look closely on side of valve, it should have the size.
A Valterra valve should fit as a replacement. Bristol 1 1/2 is a part number 39241 Amazon
You can use a new slip fit hub such as this to go into the tank. Hub
Fleetwood used this type of valves on large fresh water tanks.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, i agree its the wrong valve.. i filled up tank and let water run out, didnt seem dirty or full of deposits, but i do know that the tank itself has not been used in years. i see it leaking from where the white and black pipe meet. im off to go take it apart and see what hell it brings.. i'll post an update. thanks Gdetrailer